FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The argument against the new catechism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Specifically, what is/are the problem(s) with the Catechism of the Catholic Church?

http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/

Thank you in advance.
Its ambiguity.

By nature a catechism needs to be easy to understand for the lay reader to make direct connections between its teaching and the doctrine of the Church. Unfortunately the Catechism as it stands today seems to have been written for scholars rather than the lay. It gives no clear answers but rather dances on scholarly debate and uses indirect ways to assert truth. In other words its a poor catechism as far as the word catechism goes.
(08-22-2010, 05:51 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]Its ambiguity.

By nature a catechism needs to be easy to understand for the lay reader to make direct connections between its teaching and the doctrine of the Church. Unfortunately the Catechism as it stands today seems to have been written for scholars rather than the lay. It gives no clear answers but rather dances on scholarly debate and uses indirect ways to assert truth. In other words its a poor catechism as far as the word catechism goes.

Yet I repeat:

WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:Specifically, what is/are the problem(s) with the Catechism of the Catholic Church?
I think the New Catechism is decent enough. I haven't read all the way through, but what I have read has been very good and insightful. And I'm no scholar.

The one problem I have encountered was the idea put forth that the Covenant with the Jews was still in effect. But, I believe that has been changed, although they tried to squirm out of it by making it ambiguos. It was the most ambiguous retraction I have ever seen, if what I read in the article is what will actually be in new editions.
(08-22-2010, 06:42 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: [ -> ]I think the New Catechism is decent enough. I haven't read all the way through, but what I have read has been very good and insightful. And I'm no scholar.

The one problem I have encountered was the idea put forth that the Covenant with the Jews was still in effect. But, I believe that has been changed, although they tried to squirm out of it by making it ambiguos. It was the most ambiguous retraction I have ever seen, if what I read in the article is what will actually be in new editions.

I thought the bit about the Old Covenant was strictly a problem with the American adaptation of the Catechism.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/c..._covenant/
This might seem petty to some, but in The Life of Christ section, 2416-2418, it addresses the proper attitude we should have toward animals. Of course it says we shouldn't inflict needless suffering on animals, but it also says to "avoid excessive love of them." But it doesn't elaborate - at least it doesn't in my Compendium version.

What's wrong with excessive love of animals? What constitutes "excessive"? I love my three cats. I pamper them. I talk to them constantly. They sleep with me. Many of us are single or widowed or have empty nests. Our pets are like "kids" - they are part of the family. No, I don't dress them up in clothes, and I'm not going to leave them in my Last Will or have them buried with me. But I don't see anything wrong with a little pet cemetery...Lots of people are animal lovers but some folks are just eccentric. Is eccentricity a sin? Hmmm...

Other than that I like the new catechism.  Kitty Cat
(08-22-2010, 06:57 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]This might seem petty to some, but in The Life of Christ section, 2416-2418, it addresses the proper attitude we should have toward animals. Of course it says we shouldn't inflict needless suffering on animals, but it also says to "avoid excessive love of them." But it doesn't elaborate - at least it doesn't in my Compendium version.

What's wrong with excessive love of animals? What constitutes "excessive"? I love my three cats. I pamper them. I talk to them constantly. They sleep with me. Many of us are single or widowed or have empty nests. Our pets are like "kids" - they are part of the family. No, I don't dress them up in clothes, and I'm not going to leave them in my Last Will or have them buried with me. But I don't see anything wrong with a little pet cemetery...Lots of people are animal lovers but some folks are just eccentric. Is eccentricity a sin? Hmmm...

Other than that I like the new catechism.  Kitty Cat

I wonder if St. Francis would be guilty of excessive love of animals?

The SSPX has a good article on the New Catechism and some of the specific problems with it: The New Catechism - is it Catholic?
(08-22-2010, 06:50 PM)McNider Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-22-2010, 06:42 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: [ -> ]I think the New Catechism is decent enough. I haven't read all the way through, but what I have read has been very good and insightful. And I'm no scholar.

I thought the bit about the Old Covenant was strictly a problem with the American adaptation of the Catechism.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/c..._covenant/

That may very well be. It's the only one I have read. And thanks for pointing that out, as that information is somewhat comforting. 
(08-22-2010, 06:58 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if St. Francis would be guilty of excessive love of animals?
I thought the whole animal thing with him was because of preaching to the birds and making the truce with the wolf? The bird thing was because people wouldn't listen to him and the wolf thing was to protect a village. I don't get the impression he was was the Medieval founder of the Humane Society.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5