FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholic Mission trips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Protestants are always doing "mission trips" where they go to poor countries to build schools and stuff.  Then they evangelize in hopes of making more protestants.

Do Catholics do that?

(08-23-2010, 05:36 PM)amasimp Wrote: [ -> ]Protestants are always doing "mission trips" where they go to poor countries to build schools and stuff.  Then they evangelize in hopes of making more protestants.

Do Catholics do that?

Catholics do that more. Catholics provide many medical and education aid all over the world. Many religious orders primarily do this.

This is not some random trip by Catholics to go out. It is organised in the Church and fruitful. There are many protestant "kits" to go out to places randomly (usually, Catholic countries) to "save" people with their confusion.
A job better done by the clerics, not the laity.  Wink
i JUST got back from a mission trip in P.R., the group we use is YouthWorks and is protestant, and i was amazed 2 c how much the local community has been poached by... and they took us to an(i think) Assembles of God faith community for 'worship'. Just a mess, how ever the Youthworks faculty were not Anit- Romanist bible believing Christians, and very tolerant of us Apostates  Wink 
I mentioned to a Mormon friend a while back that I was thinking of trying out lay mission work with Maryknoll or another order.  He said it was a good idea and that he went on a mission for a few years (I forget where).  When he asked me if I knew what material gets passed out when Maryknoll goes door to door, I told him that proselytizing and missioning are not the same thing.  I had to explain Catholic mission work and how religious orders work and I still don't think he understood completely.

I am still interested in directly serving the poor, but if I get a job I'll probably stick to the soup kitchen in my town that my diocese operates.
I know there are Catholic orgs in Southern California that go down to Mexico to build houses and such. 
(08-23-2010, 07:39 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: [ -> ]I know there are Catholic orgs in Southern California that go down to Mexico to build houses and such. 

My (unfortunately) Protestant great uncle and his wife (she was raised Catholic, when I talked to her about it she talked about being worshiping Mary and all that mess...) go down to Mexico to work with orphans and that sort of thing.  Great work, but I can't help but worry about the souls of those little ones.  sad