FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Father Charles Coughlin (1891-1979)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I heard conservative radio host Dennis Prager agreeing with Democrat Howard Dean calling Father Charles Coughlin an anti-semite. THis was in reference to Howard Dean likening the Tea Party folks to those who supported Father Coughlin. Whats the real truth about Father Charles Coughlin?
:pazzo:

Fascism with a Human Face

[Image: Jozef_Tiso.jpg]
salus Wrote:Whats the real truth about Father Charles Coughlin?

Father Chas. Coughlin did say some flattering things about the beauties about Hitler's Germany. He quoted Jos. Goebbels' in his speeches and gave the Nazi salute at some meeting in the late ' 30s. That being said, the reason Caughlin was and is unpopular is because he spoke out against FDR.
(08-30-2010, 07:29 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]I heard conservative radio host Dennis Prager agreeing with Democrat Howard Dean calling Father Charles Coughlin an anti-semite. THis was in reference to Howard Dean likening the Tea Party folks to those who supported Father Coughlin. Whats the real truth about Father Charles Coughlin?

Prager's a fool when it comes to Catholicism.  He's a typical Indifferentist/Syncretist when it comes to religion (except his own). 

Coughlin was an interesting character, I've listened to numerous lectures, interviews and speeches.  It's not fair to judge his opinions in the 1930's by the events of the 1940's.  Last time I checked, Catholics weren't required to be prophets.  He was trying to come up with solutions for a troubled society where wages were low, robber barons were still prevalent and the "little guy" didn't have a voice in the government. 

On the anti-semite question, he wrote a book on it, something I bet Prager and Beck don't have a clue about or don't want to acknowledge.

http://www.archive.org/stream/AmIAnAnti-...0/mode/2up

When they need a whipping boy he's one of them.

Praeger isn't just a fool, he's a minstrel show player for flyover land.