FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fr. Corapi on the problems in the Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It figures the non Catholics are defending the V Poo problems in the Church. We have Mullah Bin Credo and Giggles talking about how wonderful hippies are. The hippies of the 60s have turned into the Pelosi's, Reids, Kennedys, Clintons, and Obamas of today. The rest are in the seminaries and Catholic schools teaching false doctrine.

(09-02-2010, 01:28 PM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]
ResiduumRevertetur Wrote:I don't know, but it's a fair enough question.

Oddly enough the late, great Fr. Jo. O'Connor (d.2006) once said that the hippies would have made great Christians had many of them not gotten into drugs. The hippies - broadly speaking the '60s counterculture - were asking the social and philosophical question which the nominal Christians of America were too tradition-, routine-bound to ask.

Quote:Conversely, I'm always amazed at the hostility Christians receive from "hippies".

Has this been your experience? Do tell. My association with said folk - really free-spirits who see the world differently than most, not just potheads - has been positive. If anything there was an open-minded reception to what the Christianity had to say.

Hippies were never, ever hostile. That would be the YIPPIES. The Christian hippies were the "Jesus freaks." Those who later joined established religions tended to hang out in youth groups and social justice groups and twinning parishes in third world countries.

:tiphat:  That'll be 2 cents, please.
(09-02-2010, 01:38 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]It figures the non Catholics are defending the V Poo problems in the Church. We have Mullah Bin Credo and Giggles talking about how wonderful hippies are. The hippies of the 60s have turned into the Pelosi's, Reids, Kennedys, Clintons, and Obamas of today. The rest are in the seminaries and Catholic schools teaching false doctrine.

Amen. Hippies never asked questions - they thought they had the answers as it was. That's why they rejected the Church, made up their own heretical versions of Christianity (when they even accepted that), preached hate for their countries and promoted Marxist socio-political worldviews that aging hippies and their modern fanboys/fangirls still cling to. I've never seen a more selfish, materialistic, enslaved-to-the-devil generation as they, and that's saying a lot.

Great OP, by the way. I've heard several of Father Corapi's sermons that said those basic things. But it's OK - the old liberals are dying out and the younger generation is leading the traditionalist backlash. The party's over :)
(09-02-2010, 01:59 PM)Lycorth Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2010, 01:38 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]It figures the non Catholics are defending the V Poo problems in the Church. We have Mullah Bin Credo and Giggles talking about how wonderful hippies are. The hippies of the 60s have turned into the Pelosi's, Reids, Kennedys, Clintons, and Obamas of today. The rest are in the seminaries and Catholic schools teaching false doctrine.

Amen. Hippies never asked questions - they thought they had the answers as it was. That's why they rejected the Church, made up their own heretical versions of Christianity (when they even accepted that), preached hate for their countries and promoted Marxist socio-political worldviews that aging hippies and their modern fanboys/fangirls still cling to. I've never seen a more selfish, materialistic, enslaved-to-the-devil generation as they, and that's saying a lot.

Great OP, by the way. I've heard several of Father Corapi's sermons that said those basic things. But it's OK - the old liberals are dying out and the younger generation is leading the traditionalist backlash. The party's over :)

I found this refreshing coming from Fr. Corapi since he is hardly a traditional Catholic and constantly talks about his infatuation for JPII and calls Mother Theresa a "Saint."

(09-02-2010, 01:28 PM)Credo Wrote: [ -> ]
ResiduumRevertetur Wrote:I don't know, but it's a fair enough question.

Oddly enough the late, great Fr. Jo. O'Connor (d.2006) once said that the hippies would have made great Christians had many of them not gotten into drugs. The hippies - broadly speaking the '60s counterculture - were asking the social and philosophical question which the nominal Christians of America were too tradition-, routine-bound to ask.

Quote:Conversely, I'm always amazed at the hostility Christians receive from "hippies".

Has this been your experience? Do tell. My association with said folk - really free-spirits who see the world differently than most, not just potheads - has been positive. If anything there was an open-minded reception to what the Christianity had to say.
Sorry, the hippies I knew personally, while not being cruel or overly hostile, were into partner swapping and drugs to the point that there was marital abuse, child abuse and anger problems. If one were not like this, but wanted to keep "Christian" values, you were not accepted. Actually you were looked at pretty suspiciously and then the men tried to "trip you out" and get "freaky". I didn't like it. Some that I know right now are not hostile, but they are witches or very close to being so, so I don't get into stuff heavy enough with them to know. I liked the "groovy" and "peaceful" hippie persona well enough, but I really didn't see it personally. Sorry. I don't figure it's not out there, I just know that there's more to any group, Christian or Hippie, than one facet. Actually, another "hippie" I know just posted something on FB very nasty to Christians recently. But I never once thought that hippies were more hostile to Christians than vice versa. I think it goes both ways, really, for any two groups of people. I thought it was a very blanket condemnation that you made that could really work both ways is all I was saying. Am I wrong? Individuals Christians can jump on the Oh, he's a hippie bandwagon. Sure. So can "hippies". And if you say, Real hippies don't do that, then I'll say, Real Christians wouldn't do that. I'm getting weary of the blanket condemnations of anyone--and especially Christians--that I see here.
(09-02-2010, 01:43 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]Hippies were never, ever hostile. That would be the YIPPIES. The Christian hippies were the "Jesus freaks." Those who later joined established religions tended to hang out in youth groups and social justice groups and twinning parishes in third world countries.

:laughing: No fair, Lisa! You can't say if they're hostile, they're not real hippies, ergo there are no hostile hippies. That would be like saying Christians don't believe in murder, therefore there's never been a Christian murderer. You're a trip.
(09-02-2010, 10:06 AM)cunctas_haereses Wrote: [ -> ]When Corapi starts disavowing VII, JPII and boola-boola US exceptionalism, then maybe I'll tune in. Just where does he think all this crap he complains about with the faith started?  Until then, he's just another 'conservative', both religiously and politically.

You make a good point.
(09-02-2010, 02:17 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2010, 01:43 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]Hippies were never, ever hostile. That would be the YIPPIES. The Christian hippies were the "Jesus freaks." Those who later joined established religions tended to hang out in youth groups and social justice groups and twinning parishes in third world countries.

:laughing: No fair, Lisa! You can't say if they're hostile, they're not real hippies, ergo there are no hostile hippies. That would be like saying Christians don't believe in murder, therefore there's never been a Christian murderer. You're a trip.

That must be why my comment was only worth 2 cents...  Alas.

:laughing:
the old liberals are dying out and the younger generation is leading the traditionalist backlash. The party's over

Very well said

The times, they are a-changing back again

Deo gratias!
Yippies? Haven't heard of that one before.
Pages: 1 2 3