FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What is your favourite book in Scripture and why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Admittedly, I haven't finished reading the Bible yet---I'm up to Second Thessalonians---but so far, I like the Gospel of Saint Luke the most. I like how it focuses on Jesus' life as a baby and a child. It reminds me of Christmas and assists me in my devotion to the Divine Child.
(09-02-2010, 05:55 AM)Pax et Bonum Wrote: [ -> ]Admittedly, I haven't finished reading the Bible yet---I'm up to Second Thessalonians---but so far, I like the Gospel of Saint Luke the most. I like how it focuses on Jesus' life as a baby and a child. It reminds me of Christmas and assists me in my devotion to the Divine Child.

I like Mark, due to its pristine faith, and like Jeremias, because he lived in an era very similar to ours.
I have always been very attracted to the Apocalypse of Saint John. It is very comforting to read that everything will be fine in the end. No matter how great the tribulation may be in this era. Christ is victorious over death and hell, and has the keys thereof. He will lead His flock to life eternal.
Oh, this is very hard! Could we not choose a book from both the Old Testament and New Testament? And in the New, could we not at least pick our favorite Gospel as well as our favorite Epistle?

If I had my pick of the Old, it would be Genesis. Or maybe Exodus. Or maybe the Psalms.

The four Gospels are the most difficult to choose from. There is something wonderful about each of them. Mark's Gospel is concise and the words of Christ get straight to the point. I like that. Luke's Gospel has the beautiful Christmas narrative, and tells us most of what we know about Our Lady. John's Gospel gives us very important accounts that are not in the other Gospels, such as the Wedding at Cana and the Raising of Lazarus. Matthew's Gospel gives us the awesome Sermon on the Mount in perfect sequence and in its entirety. Putting aside its substance, it's still a masterpiece in poetry. But I also love the Acts of the Apostles.

Shoot! I can't choose.
I've read it all -- it is hard to choose!

But I've always loved Genesis for the good stories.

I love Ecclesiasticus for its beauty and wisdom.

The Canticle of Canticles is simply lovely poetry. It makes my heart sing.

I love the gospel of St. John for its incomparable intro. This gets ten out of ten both from a literary and philosophical point of view.

He was a good writer. I guess that's why the Apocolypse is also so amazing (although scary).
The Book of Esther because it prefigures Our Lady, the Queen of Heaven, interceding for us before the King and saving us through the First Saturday Devotions, daily Rosary, and Brown Scapular-

http://keepingitcatholic.blogspot.com/20...r-and.html
It is a hard question, however, in my Bible which I carry in my jacket, I have the ribbon at Luke always. Specifically, Luke 12. So one could say that my favourite book is Luke because my most read chapter is in it.

However, I think as a whole, the Book of Psalms is my favourite. It has prayers for everything.
(09-02-2010, 11:45 AM)Exilenomore Wrote: [ -> ]I have always been very attracted to the Apocalypse of Saint John. It is very comforting to read that everything will be fine in the end. No matter how great the tribulation may be in this era. Christ is victorious over death and hell, and has the keys thereof. He will lead His flock to life eternal.

Except for Revelation isn't about the "end" as you think of it - but the end of the Old Covenant era. 

Indeed, anything by St. John.  I love his Gospel, namely the first chapter - and I love the Apocalypse.  The apocolyptic symbolism reveals perfectly just what happened to Jerusalem during 70 AD, and that we are living in the millenium - the Church Age - right at this very moment.
Gospel of John.  I love it for its high Christology, and I completely agree with Satori about its amazing introduction.
(09-02-2010, 10:51 PM)Nic Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2010, 11:45 AM)Exilenomore Wrote: [ -> ]I have always been very attracted to the Apocalypse of Saint John. It is very comforting to read that everything will be fine in the end. No matter how great the tribulation may be in this era. Christ is victorious over death and hell, and has the keys thereof. He will lead His flock to life eternal.

Except for Revelation isn't about the "end" as you think of it - but the end of the Old Covenant era. 

Indeed, anything by St. John.  I love his Gospel, namely the first chapter - and I love the Apocalypse.  The apocolyptic symbolism reveals perfectly just what happened to Jerusalem during 70 AD, and that we are living in the millenium - the Church Age - right at this very moment.

I believe it was intented to intertwine the happenings that were actual then with the end times. This is typical for biblical prophecy. Our Lord also prophesied about the destruction of Jerusalem (70 AD) and intertwined it with the prophecy of the last days, when we will see the Son of Man coming with glory, of which the christianisation of Rome was a prefiguration.
Pages: 1 2 3 4