FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Vatican City cracks down on dress code & enforces modesty
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...-code.html

Check out this article I just read!  The Swiss guards are speaking to men in shorts and women with uncovered shoulders and short skirts about being dressed inappropriately!  These new rules are not applying to just tourists but to Romans using Vatican shops as well!
Good.

And leave it to the press to drag in sex-abuse scandals.

Get this: they have a tougher dress code to visit a prisoner!  http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Visitors/docs/Inm...elines.pdf

It won't let me copy the relevant test, you'll have to read it yourself. But suffice it to say, they're stricter about visiting convicted felons than the swiss guards are about visiting the Vatican.
Hm...I have to say, I don't really see the point of not letting a man wear (reasonably loose and long) shorts into the post office in the middle of a hot Roman summer.
A lot of the prison stuff has to do with being mistaken for a prisoner or switching clothes with them.  Underwires is because they can be pulled out and made into a weapon.
I always get the feeling that enforcing the dress code at the cathedrals in Europe is more about harrassing tourists than anything else. It's not like there's much in the way of religion going on inside them...they're basically museums.

That might be cynical, though.
(09-03-2010, 02:27 AM)Iolanthe Wrote: [ -> ]I always get the feeling that enforcing the dress code at the cathedrals in Europe is more about harrassing tourists than anything else. It's not like there's much in the way of religion going on inside them...they're basically museums.

That might be cynical, though.

Well if you allow people to profane something sacred, it loses its sacredness.
(09-03-2010, 01:10 AM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]Hm...I have to say, I don't really see the point of not letting a man wear (reasonably loose and long) shorts into the post office in the middle of a hot Roman summer.

Anything that smacks of Rome TELLING people to do anything I applaud.  Anything that rolls back the clock to times when people were more civilised is an orientation I want to encourage.  They are supposed to be in charge and now they are finally acting like it, albeit in a very small way.

There are plenty of other post offices in Rome.  If you want to go to one in the Vatican because you are some stamp collecting nut then put some freaking trousers on (and that is the only reason to be there for postal franks and Vatican Stamps).  It is a tiny little post office.

People have to realise that they cannot have the world go their way all the time.  If they walk into a sovereign state then there are rules they need to obey.  Just like I need to give my fingerprints at the US Border.  Likewise if I went to a Muslim country I would dress appropriately.  That is simply good manners and decorum and respect for the locals.

Now the same Vaticanistas just need to tell us the rest of the third secret, restore the Latin Mass, burn 1/2 the hierarchy at the stake, exhume and dump the remains for the last four Popes in the Tiber and hand Cardinal Mahony to the Muslims for calling his teddy bear "HoMohammed" and all is forgiven.
(09-02-2010, 10:31 PM)MaterLaeta Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...-code.html

Check out this article I just read!  The Swiss guards are speaking to men in shorts and women with uncovered shoulders and short skirts about being dressed inappropriately!  These new rules are not applying to just tourists but to Romans using Vatican shops as well!

:w2go: :w2go: :w2go: :w2go:

I think too many people see the Vatican as like some sort of amusement park or tourist trap. Well...IT'S NOT! It's its own country and the headquarters of the True Church. It seems ridiculous that people think they could walk in dressed like they were at a bordello and then complain when the Vatican City...THE HEADQUARTERS OF THE CHURCH...clamps down on inappropriate dressing.

Quote:I always get the feeling that enforcing the dress code at the cathedrals in Europe is more about harrassing tourists than anything else. It's not like there's much in the way of religion going on inside them...they're basically museums.

Tourists need to realize they are VISITORS...they don't own the darn place. And I am American by the way and I know Americans tend to be some of the worst in terms of behavior overseas and in terms of attire.
(09-03-2010, 03:08 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]It is a tiny little post office.

No wonder I couldn't find it.
MaterLaeta Wrote:Vatican City ... enforces modesty

An oddly worded phrase is there ever was one. As the virtue of modesty is a subgroup of humility, enforced humility sounds strange.
Pages: 1 2