FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: 'Philosophy Undermined my Atheism' - Catholic Herald
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Editor: As a Catholic who doesn't believe in objectivity, you're just as ripe for having the rug put back under you. Indeed, why do people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to go to Oxford when its best graduates spout drivel like this?

Catholic Herald Wrote:  And yet: “As university went on I got deeply into philosophy, and the philosophy totally undermined my atheism, by making me realise that there is no overarching objectivity, no Dawkinsian bedrock of common sense if you strip everything away.

“I realised that atheism was just as culturally conditioned as being a Catholic. The Oxford way of teaching it was the western analytical tradition of deconstructing arguments, so for a naïvely dogmatic young atheist I was ripe to have the rug pulled from under me.

http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2010...heism.html
Is it accident that this message (refreshingly positive toward the Christianity) got no responses in two days, but the similar but negative message
http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...498.0.html
got 10 of them?
Part of the reason might be that the fisheaters was down for that time. This guy is more to be pitied than derided. What good is an aposteriori argument for the existence of God without the gift of faith. It would be empty like a zombie or  like on of those "hollower type musician".There is no there there. Go read David Berlinski, he knows S. Thomas Aquinas by rote and he acknowledges his superiority to all the philosophers yet he confesses he has no faith. What a painful existence !
tim
(09-05-2010, 08:19 AM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Part of the reason might be that the fisheaters was down for that time. This guy is more to be pitied than derided. What good is an aposteriori argument for the existence of God without the gift of faith. It would be empty like a zombie or  like on of those "hollower type musician".There is no there there. Go read David Berlinski, he knows S. Thomas Aquinas by rote and he acknowledges his superiority to all the philosophers yet he confesses he has no faith. What a painful existence !
tim

Read Rom 2 carefully. The faith is gift for a few, the ration guided by the conscience is everyone's path to the salvation.