FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Contraception and marriage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Someone on the Catholic radio station was talking about the effects of contraception on marriage and she said that people that contracept while married have a 50% divorce rate just like the rest of the secular world but those who don't contracept and use NFP have only something like a 5-6% divorce rate. I don't know where these stats came from but if it's true I think it says a lot about what the biggest problems in society is today.

Correlation does not imply causation.
I saw this video on Facebook today:

Fewer vocations and decreasing Mass attendances are a result of fewer kids being born as a result of contraception, not people giving up the Church because they want to use birth control.

Contraception is still wrong, but it's the invisible children who fill the pews, not the fallen away who leave them.
Those couples, who are resolute to the no contraception from the beginning are principled in both end: no contraception, no divorce. Consequently their divorce rate is lower.

However I doubt the 5% only number.

Except for professional couples people do not use birth control until the first two child, and some twenty percent of the marriages ends with divorce before the fifth anniversary of the marriage. So simply the lack of contraception is not a miraculous panacea for avoid divorce
(09-05-2010, 04:59 PM)glgas Wrote: [ -> ]Those couples, who are resolute to the no contraception from the beginning are principled in both end: no contraception, no divorce. Consequently their divorce rate is lower.

However I doubt the 5% only number.

Except for professional couples people do not use birth control until the first two child, and some twenty percent of the marriages ends with divorce before the fifth anniversary of the marriage. So simply the lack of contraception is not a miraculous panacea for avoid divorce

But there have to be more issues that lead to divorce than mere contraception use.
I have heard these statistics before.  They correlate with what the NFP program teaches.

The divorce rate is incredibly low among those NFP marriages.  There is an openess to life with the marital act. There is also restraint so that there is not instant gratification at all times.

Contraception is practiced by Catholics about the same as in secular society I understand. And the results are the same too: greater cohabitation, fornication, adultery, abortion, and divorce.  Those are the sequalae to contraception.  Most priests are afraid to speak about the "C" word because people are 'offended' by it. But offended is not the word. There is guilt in the heart that might be denied but that guilt is what makes folks uncomfortable if they are practicing contraception. I just had this conversation with my pastor.  He is beginning to mention contraception now.  In the past, at another parish, the pastor tried to bring it up and it caused many to leave the parish; those practicing contraception do not want to hear that what they are doing is wrong.  Other priests say it is a 'matter of conscience' but with so few going to confession, do you think their consciences will bother them?
(09-05-2010, 06:57 PM)Magdalene Wrote: [ -> ]I have heard these statistics before.  They correlate with what the NFP program teaches.

The divorce rate is incredibly low among those NFP marriages.  There is an openess to life with the marital act. There is also restraint so that there is not instant gratification at all times.

Contraception is practiced by Catholics about the same as in secular society I understand. And the results are the same too: greater cohabitation, fornication, adultery, abortion, and divorce.  Those are the sequalae to contraception.  Most priests are afraid to speak about the "C" word because people are 'offended' by it. But offended is not the word. There is guilt in the heart that might be denied but that guilt is what makes folks uncomfortable if they are practicing contraception. I just had this conversation with my pastor.  He is beginning to mention contraception now.  In the past, at another parish, the pastor tried to bring it up and it caused many to leave the parish; those practicing contraception do not want to hear that what they are doing is wrong.  Other priests say it is a 'matter of conscience' but with so few going to confession, do you think their consciences will bother them?

Yup. Fr. Corapi talked about I think it was his first homily he gave. He talked about contraception among other things and one lady at the end told him "We don't need to hear about this truth stuff, many people have left the Church because of sermons like that!" Fr. Corapi tried talking to the lady and finally Fr. Corapi said "I know what your problem is...you are contracepting and you don't want to accept the Church's position on this issue...now if I am wrong tell me and I will get on my knees and apologize." It was true and I don't know if he mentioned if this woman just left or had a conversion.

(09-05-2010, 05:02 PM)dark lancer Wrote: [ -> ]But there have to be more issues that lead to divorce than mere contraception use.

Only the general attitude related to self denial is the common denominator between the contraception and the divorce.

Those who accept self restraint do not use contraception and do not divorce. Those who not, divorce, because of many reason
(09-05-2010, 04:59 PM)glgas Wrote: [ -> ]Those couples, who are resolute to the no contraception from the beginning are principled in both end: no contraception, no divorce. Consequently their divorce rate is lower.

Wow...I agree 100%.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7