FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How a protestant could became Catholic.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My wife decided to convert. She is Lutheran, but attended Masses with me in the last 20 years in every week. Our pastor is unsure what to do. (he is working on that, but in that Church there is no RCIA) . I would appreciate stories (preferably FSSP, Institute of Christ the King) of actual process. 
(09-05-2010, 05:15 PM)glgas Wrote: [ -> ]My wife decided to convert. She is Lutheran, but attended Masses with me in the last 20 years in every week. Our pastor is unsure what to do. (he is working on that, but in that Church there is no RCIA) . I would appreciate stories (preferably FSSP, Institute of Christ the King) of actual process. 

Deo gratias!

She was Lutheran...she ceased to be in such a sect when she chose the Church.

The actual process with God is with a choice (no paperwork) and baptism. Since she is likely already baptised, she is covered with God. Now, the parishes do have other requirements for administering the sacraments. In this case, I'd contact the bishop if the parish hasn't dealt with this before. For someone who is so familiar with the Church, it may be very simple.
Our FSSP priest just had me read the catechism (he did not even specify which one).  He left just before I was ready for baptism, so I had to start again with an SSPX priest, who had me memorize the Balt Cat No. 1.  The Balt Cat gives a nice foundation.  After she is baptized, you can take her under your wing for the next several years...supplying her with spiritual reading and answering any of her questions (since a major part of Catholicism is living one's faith...and experience is a better teacher in that respect IHMO).
(09-05-2010, 06:15 PM)Underdog Wrote: [ -> ]Our FSSP priest just had me read the catechism (he did not even specify which one).  He left just before I was ready for baptism, so I had to start again with an SSPX priest, who had me memorize the Balt Cat No. 1.  The Balt Cat gives a nice foundation.  After she is baptized, you can take her under your wing for the next several years...supplying her with spiritual reading and answering any of her questions (since a major part of Catholicism is living one's faith...and experience is a better teacher in that respect IHMO).

Thanks for the info.

She was validly baptized in 1945 as Lutheran, also she had valid Catholic marriage with me long long time ago. So she need only to receive first confession and communion, and sometimes later confirmation.

In the good old times such candidates were participated one of two informal meeting, signed a document, with some articles of faith, and were allowed to make confession and communion. It is possible that this signed document was necessary only because during the war some Jews were baptized w/o any formal process, so the bishops defined the minimum requirement, and that was applied to already baptized converts too.

I wonder, if there is such document to be sign over here too?

(09-05-2010, 06:57 PM)glgas Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder, if there is such document to be sign over here too?

I do not know, besides joining the parish.
I didn't sign a document...that I recall, anyway.  I was conditionally baptized (since I was baptized as a teen as s.baptist) and had to make a profession of faith.  It was pretty easy.
Domini and I had to meet a few times with a priest, showing we knew the basics of the Faith, provide proof of Trinitarian baptism, and make a public profession of faith during Mass. We were then Confirmed at that same Mass. We didn't have any difficulty about our marriage as it was the first and only marriage for either of us.
Great news, congratulations!

If you can avoid the whole RCIA disaster, so much the better. My mom had to go through it, and there was heresy (although the people were nice and they had coffee). Just go to a traditional priest and do what he says. If you don't trust an independent or SSPX, go to the FSSP. A modernist priest might muddle things up and make life more difficult.
I'm happy to hear of your wife's conversion! Deo gratias! :)
Many thanks for the answers. I hope, she can convert in the traditional way.
Pages: 1 2