FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I went to my first Latin Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I went to my first Tridentine Mass this evening. It was "Low Mass;" a votive mass of the Precious Blood of Jesus Christ. It was very different from what I was used to and it was rather ackward at the silence, as I was either ahead or behind of the priest's prayers in my missal.  I am grew up on the N.O.. 

However I am used to the Divine Liturgy, where although the Priest has a lot of silent prayers, alot are chanted aloud ; the laity have a sizeable spoken response as well.  I expected  it to be similar to a Divine Liturgy, only instead of a "High Mass," I got a "Low Mass."  I was expecting incense, chanting, and being able to sing at least the Confiteor, Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus,  Pater Noster, and Agnus Dei (with the few "Et cum spiritu Tuo"'s as well.)
(09-17-2010, 10:40 PM)Ravenonthecross Wrote: [ -> ]I was expecting incense, chanting, and being able to sing at least the Confiteor, Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus,  Pater Noster, and Agnus Dei (with the few "Et cum spiritu Tuo"'s as well.)

As a schola chorister, I think this is a fair expectation for a sung Mass. However, in the Tridentine Mass it's not possible to sing the Confiteor in common. It can be recited by all in a sung Mass after the celebrant's Communion, but in a solemn Mass, the deacon alone sings it (if it's used at all; only an option in the 1962 Missal). It's also very rare for the laity to sing Pater Noster in common, but my local diocesan Tridentine church does it. Those few who actually sing, anyway.

Since you mentioned it was a votive Mass and on a weekday, it's worth pointing out that sung Masses are rarely ever done in the Latin Rite for either of those things. This is unfortunate, but a reality of things. Even most trads' Sunday Mass is low, I think.
(09-17-2010, 10:48 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]Even most trads' Sunday Mass is low, I think.

Yep I've been to three different trad chapels diocesan, sspx,sspv and all the have always been low Mass. I've made my home at the SSPV since March and we have never had anything but low Mass.
Interesting--I didn't realize how lucky I was. My church (diocesan) alternates Sung Mass and full High Mass from Sunday to Sunday (except for a few weeks in the summer which are low). Where I used to live (also diocesan) they had predominately Sung with a few Low mixed in every so often.

Personally I almost prefer low Mass when in a small, intimate chapel setting where you can hear what is being said by the priest and servers (apart from the parts in a low tone of course), but in a large church with a large sanctuary where the priest is a long way away I too can find it difficult to stay on pace.
(09-17-2010, 11:07 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting--I didn't realize how lucky I was. My church (diocesan) alternates Sung Mass and full High Mass from Sunday to Sunday (except for a few weeks in the summer which are low). Where I used to live (also diocesan) they had predominately Sung with a few Low mixed in every so often.

Personally I almost prefer low Mass when in a small, intimate chapel setting where you can hear what is being said by the priest and servers (apart from the parts in a low tone of course), but in a large church with a large sanctuary where the priest is a long way away I too can find it difficult to stay on pace.

I agree though I have never been in a large Church that had a TLM. I prefer the low Mass myself.
2 more times straight with no interuptions. ;D
Next one's in about three weeks. Our local Knight of Columbus Latin Mass guild has been organising this; obtaining a ICKSP canon to celebrate Holy Mass for us; it is sporadic, the next one after October, is in December. 

Otherwise, I will be attending the Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostum [12 min. approx. drive] from my domicile; I have this available every Sunday. The TLM is intermitent; we are lucky for even one every month or couple of months. 
(09-17-2010, 10:48 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]Even most trads' Sunday Mass is low, I think.

Not for us. We pretty much always have a Missa Cantata here.
My church does a High and Low Mass every Sunday, I prefer high masses. I like all the ceremony, incense and chanting. However, a nice quick low mass is great when im in a hurry! Keep at it Raven! Good for you :)
My Parish does a High Mass every Sunday, and a low mass once a week too.  Then again I have to count my blessings in having found this parish.
Pages: 1 2