FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Time travel to Jesus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you could travel back to the time when Jesus began his ministry, knowing what you know now, what would you ask Him? Or would you say nothing at all and just observe, contemplate, and adore? What miracle would you most like to be on hand for? Would you try to stop the crucifixion?  What about Mary and Joseph? I think I might try to ask them some things. But just imagine staring into those holy eyes! I might not be able to bring myself to say a word.
(09-18-2010, 01:54 PM)Jitpring Wrote: [ -> ]If you could travel back to the time when Jesus began his ministry, knowing what you know now, what would you ask Him? Or would you say nothing at all and just observe, contemplate, and adore?
I have considered this. One of the problems with it is that the knowledge of who He is is from the Father, so if a time traveling Christian were there, there would be an interesting question of the mental state. Would our knowledge be overshadowed? Would we miss it somehow?

I would probably avoid any personal contact barring any indication to do otherwise. I would be out of place and I would not be in the same position as everyone else.

If however I had a chance to have a personal interaction with Christ, I would ask Him to give me the understanding (to the extent I am capable) of how it feels for Him to do what He does with the knowledge He has of the future. If the sins of men offend God, how God must view future acts of free will which offend him, yet, He still gives the graces to those He knows will choose otherwise.

Quote:What miracle would you most like to be on hand for?
I do not know if it would be considered a miracle, but I would like to passively observe, with understanding of the languages used, Christ in the Temple for those three days.

Quote: Would you try to stop the crucifixion? 
This is a very hard question to consider (and I have in the past).

Quote: What about Mary and Joseph? I think I might try to ask them some things. But just imagine staring into those holy eyes! I might not be able to bring myself to say a word.
I would like to talk to Joseph about being a better man from his perspective. He would surely have a lot to tell me.
I would ask about abortion, contraceptives, other forms of birth control, and homosexual relationships in parable form, then return to 2010.
If I could, I would time travel back with a gun of some sort, as well as a kevlar vest (could stop spears).  Then, I would stop the Crucifixion.  Frighten away all the primates with my boomstick.  I'd try to get in before the scourging, if I could.  But if I came in with Jesus on the Cross, I would try to get him down somehow, using a leatherman or some tools or something.  He'd probably stop me, but then again, maybe it'd be an alternate universe I would have "jumped" into, in which anything goes at that point, and Jesus would let me help him. 

Or, I would simply desire to travel with him to Ur, as described by Mary Catherine Emmerich.  Anyone ever read about that account?  I think that would be a fun journey to take with Christ.  To see him visit the land of the Three Kings...that'd be cool.  Maybe ask him questions about life and stuff along the way.

....or, I would videotape the aliens that once videotaped him. 
(09-18-2010, 01:54 PM)Jitpring Wrote: [ -> ]What miracle would you most like to be on hand for?

That's a good question.  I think the Transfiguration.
(09-18-2010, 03:37 PM)dark lancer Wrote: [ -> ]I would ask about abortion, contraceptives, other forms of birth control, and homosexual relationships in parable form, then return to 2010.
The pepole who love those things don't care about what Jesus has to say.
I wouldn't stop the crucifixion.  That's our salvation.  It was His reason for coming to Earth; to save us and that's how it had to happen.

I would like to have been at the Last Supper.
He's just up the road from me in Church, why wait for the scientists to build a second machine to go see Him?  The first, the car, does just fine :D!

I've read that while some scientists feel travel to the future may be plausibel because of the theory of relativity,  travel to the past would not be possible because of the 'killing your grandfather'  problem.  The idea is that if someone went back in time and killed your grandfather you could not exist and that would be impossible because you do exist...

(09-18-2010, 07:47 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: [ -> ]I've read that while some scientists feel travel to the future may be plausibel because of the theory of relativity,  travel to the past would not be possible because of the 'killing your grandfather'  problem.   The idea is that if someone went back in time and killed your grandfather you could not exist and that would be impossible because you do exist...

Yeah, things get weird when you really start thinking about this.  If time travel to the past were possible then wouldn't the past already have instances of time travel?  Shouldn't history show time travel?