FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Today, October 9, is the Feast Day of Blessed John Henry Newman
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Cardinal John Henry Newman, the great Catholic convert of the 19th century, was just beatified by Pope Benedict XVI Sept. 19, and already the Church is celebrating his feast day — tomorrow.

Unlike most saints’ feast days, Blessed John Henry Newman’s does not fall on the anniversary of his death (entry into eternal life) but his conversion to the Catholic faith.

“It catches us a little by surprise because he was just beatified,” said Father Juan Velez, co-author with Mike Aquilina of a new book about Newman, Take Five: Meditations with John Henry Newman (OSV). “By next year, I hope more people will celebrate his feast day.”

In particular, Father Velez, who has worked at several university chaplaincies over the course of his 12 years as a priest, hopes that Newman centers at secular colleges and universities will celebrate the Oct. 9 feast day.

rest of article at:

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/a-new-feast-day-for-the-church?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NCRegisterDailyBlog+%2540The+Daily+Register%2541#When:18:17:04Z

This caught me by surprise, I just happened to see a link to the story at New Advent.
I hadn't heard anything about his feast day coming so soon after his beatification so it doesn't seem to have been promoted much…  I wonder if it's common practice to take a convert's date of conversion as his feast day?  If it is, I'd guess it's pretty recent practice.  St. Augustine was a convert, after all, and I think his feast day is probably the date of his death.  The calendar wasn't too crowded in those days.

Newman's date of death is August 11. That day already has an obligatory memorial in the Novus Ordo calendar for Saint Clare of Assisi. It was also the feast of Philomena until 1961.
Thats interesting to learn about and really cool! :)
Blessed John Henry Newman is the new patron of our community, so we had a Solemn Sung Mass (1962 missal) today to mark the occasion of his feast day.

Blessed John Henry Newman, oro pro nobis.

Some photos of the Mass for anyone interested

http://newman-community-melbourne.org/im...index.html

Blessings,
:pray:
Steve
(10-09-2010, 05:28 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]Newman's date of death is August 11. That day already has an obligatory memorial in the Novus Ordo calendar for Saint Clare of Assisi. It was also the feast of Philomena until 1961.

Was there no other date available close to August 11?  Lots of times the feast or memorial is shifted to a nearby date.  Lots of people share dates, too, but I guess the bigger names get one where they are the star.  I looked up a couple whom I knew had a memorial different from their death date:

St. Teresa of Avila died on October 4 but her memorial is October 15, shared with 15 others ; October 4 being the death date and memorial of St. Francis of Assisi, and 21 others.  

St. Therese of Lisieux died on Sept. 30 but her memorial is Oct. 1.  36 others are shown on the calendar for that date, including St. Dodo!   Not a big name among saints but an interesting one.  

Sept. 30 is the memorial of St. Jerome, and 15 others.

Quick, what do St. Teresa, St. Therese, and St. Jerome have in common?

(10-09-2010, 06:37 AM)Stevo Wrote: [ -> ]Blessed John Henry Newman is the new patron of our community, so we had a Solemn Sung Mass (1962 missal) today to mark the occasion of his feast day.

Blessed John Henry Newman, oro pro nobis.

Some photos of the Mass for anyone interested

http://newman-community-melbourne.org/im...index.html

Blessings,
:pray:
Steve

Very nice photos, Steve, of a pretty church.  I also really liked the vestments with birds on them, don't think I've ever seen any like that before.

Why don't you tell us about your community?

it's very interesting his feast day is on his day of conversion. Only St Paul is the other if I'm correct.

Cardinal Newman - the new apostle for a gentile i.e: pagan world