FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fr Clement (former Transalpine redemptorist)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apparently he'll be joining the Latin Mass chaplaincy in my archdiocese soon because the sons of the most holy redeemer are stuck in a canonical limbo. Anyone know what's going on there? AQ also reports that one of the priests was laicized. Sad situation. Anyone had contact with the Redemptorists? I've been thinking of enrolling my lapsed mother and atheist friend in their confraternity (to have Masses said for them) but I'm not too sure now given their current state.
I can't answer about the Transalpine Redemptorists, but, if I may make a suggestion, Rorate Caeli (http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/) has a newly formed purgatorial society. There are currently 8 priests saying TLMs for those who are enlisted, as well as those of us who pray for them each Friday.
(10-15-2010, 12:03 PM)dahveed Wrote: [ -> ]I can't answer about the Transalpine Redemptorists, but, if I may make a suggestion, Rorate Caeli (http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/) has a newly formed purgatorial society. There are currently 8 priests saying TLMs for those who are enlisted, as well as those of us who pray for them each Friday.

I think the purgatorial society is to add names of the deceased to the list, not folks who are currently living in a state of mortal sin
(10-15-2010, 12:03 PM)dahveed Wrote: [ -> ]I can't answer about the Transalpine Redemptorists, but, if I may make a suggestion, Rorate Caeli (http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/) has a newly formed purgatorial society. There are currently 8 priests saying TLMs for those who are enlisted, as well as those of us who pray for them each Friday.

I don't know if Purgatory is relevant to the topic here ...

However --

You can find a purgatorial association for the living and the dead here, http://www.knocknovena.com/

(10-15-2010, 11:26 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently he'll be joining the Latin Mass chaplaincy in my archdiocese soon because the sons of the most holy redeemer are stuck in a canonical limbo. Anyone know what's going on there? AQ also reports that one of the priests was laicized. Sad situation. Anyone had contact with the Redemptorists? I've been thinking of enrolling my lapsed mother and atheist friend in their confraternity (to have Masses said for them) but I'm not too sure now given their current state.

This much(my 2 cents) I can say about the traditional Redemptorists:  they have been regularized (reunified, seems to be the term), have jurisdiction (something real important in places where there is a state of necessity) and if they are in "canonical limbo" it's what the detractors are saying.  Sadly, there has been so much detraction, rancor and calumny leveled at them, I wonder where charity has gone in the traditional Catholic circles. 

Reunification -- a term that doesn't ring true any longer, it seems.  Unity in Catholicism is not something even for traditional Catholics, which we would think should be the case.  Rome is so remote, there's no need to swim and cross the Tiber.  But that's where the Church is, isn't it?  There can be no restoration without reunification.  How long must St. Pius X wait?

Simply, the complete restoration of the Church will never happen until there must be first a reunification of all traditional camps and persuasions.  This disunity among traditional Catholics is a thorn on the side of Christ and His Mother.  When will the bickering and contentions and disagreements stop?

Forget the sedes and naysayers.  The unity of traditionalists whose only aspiration is for the election of a pope, no less of the caliber of a St. Pius X, whose first anf foremost task is to dismantle the present apparatus and rebuild what was destroyed.  Forgetting personal differences and setting them aside, this is not too remote a desire.  And -- when all this is happening, since the sedes and the naysayers would have nothing to do with Rome, the Holy See and the Vatican, the restoration will occur under their noses and the Church will have been restored to her glory, without the assent of those who have written off any pope unless he came from their ranks.

ADDED:

Decided to check on what was going on with the F.SS.R and found this latest entry on their blog (quite right on with my comments above):

"Regular readers of this blog will have noticed that comments on the blog have been turned off because of abusive statements. Unfortunately this sort of behaviour by a few bitter Catholics is not limited to this blog, but plagues the Catholic blogosphere to such an extent that it is even encouraged on certain Traditional Catholic sites. The lack of Christian charity, the constant bickering, name-calling, slander, detraction and calumny has reached truly epidemic proportions on some tabloid-like sedevacantist sites (we choose to not name them rather than give them cheap publicity) and this poison is then digested and regurgitated in other traditional Catholic sites. One Sedevacantist site that masquerades as Catholic and which is run by anonymous priests, could easily teach Jack Chick a thing or two about spreading lies and hatred about the Pope and the Catholic church. The sickening deluge of vitriolic bile poured forth in some Catholic forums on a daily basis is truly reminiscent of the vomitoriums of ancient Rome..."  http://papastronsay.blogspot.com/index.html

Quote:This much(my 2 cents) I can say about the traditional Redemptorists:  they have been regularized (reunified, seems to be the term), have jurisdiction (something real important in places where there is a state of necessity) and if they are in "canonical limbo" it's what the detractors are saying.  Sadly, there has been so much detraction, rancor and calumny leveled at them, I wonder where charity has gone in the traditional Catholic circles.

You don't know what you're talking about.  The FSSR have not received canonical standing in the Church.  As far as they know, all censures have been lifted against them, but they have not received status from their local bishop.  So the question is, what justification do they have for doing the stuff they do now without the jurisdiction they deem so precious? 
(10-16-2010, 10:20 AM)PeterII Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:This much(my 2 cents) I can say about the traditional Redemptorists:  they have been regularized (reunified, seems to be the term), have jurisdiction (something real important in places where there is a state of necessity) and if they are in "canonical limbo" it's what the detractors are saying.  Sadly, there has been so much detraction, rancor and calumny leveled at them, I wonder where charity has gone in the traditional Catholic circles.

You don't know what you're talking about.  The FSSR have not received canonical standing in the Church.  As far as they know, all censures have been lifted against them, but they have not received status from their local bishop.  So the question is, what justification do they have for doing the stuff they do now without the jurisdiction they deem so precious? 

Yes, I didn't really make it clear in my original post. The reason Fr Clement is coming to my parish is because of the canonical limbo. He's not coming to assist as a Son of the Most Holy Redeemer, he's being incardinated into my diocese as a secular priest.
(10-16-2010, 10:20 AM)PeterII Wrote: [ -> ]

Seeing they do not see ...

So you know what you are saying?

Canonical good standing and canonical erection -- is there a difference?  What does Summorum Pontificum say?  Simply pay lip service?

Canonical Good Standing

1 July, 2008
Feast of the Precious Blood

My dear friends,

I am happy to inform you that last June 18th, before Cardinal Castrillon and the members of the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei in Rome, I humbly petitioned the Holy See on my own behalf and on behalf of the monastery council for our priestly suspensions to be lifted.

On June 26th I received word that the Holy See had granted our petition. All canonical censures have been lifted.

Our community now truly rejoices in undisputed and peaceful posession of Communion with the Holy See because our priests are now in canonical good standing.

We are very grateful to our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI for issuing, last July, the Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum which called us to come into undisputed and peaceful Communion with him.

Now we have that undisputed communion! It is a pearl of great price; a treasure hidden in the field; a sweetness that cannot be imagined by those who have not tasted it or who have not known it, now for many years. Its value cannot be fully expressed in earthly language and therefore we hope that all traditional priests who have not yet done so, will answer Pope Benedict's call to enjoy the grace of peaceful and undisputed communion with him. Believe us, the price to pay is nothing; even all the angry voices that have shouted against us and calumniated us are as nothing when weighed in the scales against undisputed communion with the Vicar of Christ; others have died for it; what are raucous voices?

We publicly thank all those souls who have prayed for us over the last months; some of you have truly stormed heaven for us. You have kept us afloat. We are deeply grateful. Especially we thank that priest who was unknown to us, until June 16th when he wrote in fraternal support. Where did he come from? Why us? But he told us of the number of Masses, Offices, prayers and sacrifices he had personally said for us; he had also enlisted the prayers of contemplatives and Third Order societies and had a great number of people fervently praying for us with an abundance of prayers. We were amazed! Thank you Father! Thank you also to that brave person who, so kindly wrote to us to say that if he said any more prayers for us he would be floating! What wonderful people! Thank you!

Looking to the future, the next stage will be to have our community canonically erected. So please, dear friends, keep praying for us, there will be many crosses to bear; but they will be yokes sweetened by the grace of these last days.

We assure you all of our very best wishes.
Your devoted servant,

Fr. Michael Mary, C.SS.R.
Vicar General

Isn't there joy in heaven to see someone return to the fold?  Extra Ecclessiam nulla salus.  The Caholic Church is  still in Rome as far as I have checked.  I stand by what I said.  Why the rancor and displeasure to see one return in full communion with the Catholic Church?  I would still go for the Scraments to those who are in good standing and in full communion with the Church than to those who have no faculties to confer (canonical censure)  them.  There should be no "iffy" especially when receiving absolution.  Have my sins been absolved?  Maybe yes, maybe not!

Quote:Canonical good standing and canonical erection -- is there a difference?

Yes, duh.  They don't have ordinary jurisdiction until the local bishop grants it to them, which he has not.  That's why Fr. Clement bailed on them. 
(10-16-2010, 08:36 PM)PeterII Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Canonical good standing and canonical erection -- is there a difference?

Yes, duh.  They don't have ordinary jurisdiction until the local bishop grants it to them, which he has not.  That's why Fr. Clement bailed on them. 

"Duh" is not what I expected as a reply.  This is a word of futility -- it's from somebody who has got no better answer, well then, "duh!"  C'mon. give some citations and references.  What does "in communion" mean.  One is either a schismatic or is in communion with the pope (and the members of the Church).  What is suspension?  And what does it mean when a suspension has been lifted?  No more censure, priestly faculties are restored.  Is the FSSR in full communion now or are they still suspended?  Are the Sacraments of Confession and Matrimony valid?  A marriage officiated by a suspended priest has a problem.  If the parties decide to divorce and petition for an annulment, Rome will readily grant it because there was no marriage in the first place.  (So the couple were actually living in sin?)  Under which diocese is Papastronsay under?  Show me that the bishop of this diocese still has the FSSR under censure.  The FSSR is a priestly society or fraternity, just like the FSSP, The ICK, et al.,and a society of priests is not incardinated as would individual priests.  The FSSP for example gets invited to a diocese (OK, TX, etc.) and the fraternity sends a priest.  When this happens, they have ordinary jurisdiction.  Or the pope can grant it to them..  So, give me your best reply with no "DUHs"  Canonical erection is simply that the pope will consecrate a bishop for them and give them universal jurisdiction or make Papastronsay a diocese.

The key words are, no more suspension and censure, priestly faculties restored, now in communion with the Catholic Church.