FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Favorite books?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hmm?? Feel free to tell us the reasons for your choice.
I chose "The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas A Kempis.  It is very simple, candid, straightforward.  It is as if a sort of loving spiritual manual on how to conform one's self to Christ our Lord.

I am in the process of beginning to start St Louis De Montfort's "True Devotion to Mary;" however, I am uncertain as to its contents and spirituality.
(10-17-2010, 12:32 AM)Ravenonthecross Wrote: [ -> ]I am in the process of beginning to start St Louis De Montfort's "True Devotion to Mary;" however, I am uncertain as to its contents and spirituality.

Wonderful! If you read this short golden work of his first, your uncertainty may be allayed:

http://www.montfort.org/content/uploads/...N_28_1.pdf

I chose The imitation of Christ, because it is simply dearest to my soul (along with 2 other books not in the list).
(10-17-2010, 12:44 AM)DeVille Wrote: [ -> ]I chose The imitation of Christ, because it is simply dearest to my soul (along with 2 other books not in the list).

I don't blame you. What are those two other books?
I have only read three of those books, and only one I carry with me almost anywhere and that is Thomas a Kempis Imitation of Christ.  Very straightforward and useful for me.
For some reason, I have always had trouble reading the Imitation of Christ.  Not the content - the writing style frustrates me.

But the one book I read & re-read and recommend to everyone is The Soul of the Apostolate.  It just seems to speak to me.
(10-17-2010, 01:27 AM)Jitpring Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2010, 12:44 AM)DeVille Wrote: [ -> ]I chose The imitation of Christ, because it is simply dearest to my soul (along with 2 other books not in the list).

I don't blame you. What are those two other books?

Imitation of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, by Rev. Peter J. Arnoudt;
Golden Key to Heaven, by St. Anthony Mary Claret.
(10-17-2010, 04:26 PM)DeVille Wrote: [ -> ]Imitation of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, by Rev. Peter J. Arnoudt;
Golden Key to Heaven, by St. Anthony Mary Claret.

Thanks. I'll have to look into those.
(10-17-2010, 06:47 AM)MaterLaeta Wrote: [ -> ]For some reason, I have always had trouble reading the Imitation of Christ.  Not the content - the writing style frustrates me.

It was written in Latin.

The "writing style" may be the translation(s) you have seen.

Pages: 1 2 3