FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: It's Even Worse than I Thought
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was at the hospital recently with my oldest. The nurse, whom has been there for all four kids' births, has become somewhat of a friend. Because she's a Catholic, we've always talked about the Faith when I'm there. She prays the Rosary and always seemed to be a faithful Catholic. As my daughter and I were leaving the hospital, the nurse asked if there was a good church nearby. I recommended one and then asked where she was attending. She said (paraphrasing), "Oh, I'm going to First United Methodist downtown. They have a good community and communion [sic] about twice a month." As I was picking my jaw up off the ground, I said, "You know that it's just bread and wine, not the Body and Blood of Christ, right?" She said, "It is. Why?" I replied, "Because methodists don't have a valid priesthood." SHE HAD NO IDEA! This woman is in her upper 60s and should know better. She stated that she doesn't attend the local Catholic church anymore because she doesn't like the "circus." I immediately prayed for her and told her, "Whatever you do, don't leave the Church." Maybe she already has.
Yeah.. I get this alot.  I listened to my SIL and her devout Catholic friend go on and on about past lives and what they think they were in past lives. 
My mom fell into that in the early 70s and took the whole family out of the Church. She'll say to this day, "As long you go somewhere, dear..." I swear, at some point in time in the church, probably in the 60s, someone sat them down and taught them Indifferentism. I cannot be a coincidence.
The problem is we do not know the circumstances under which she left. I know folks her age that were told that it was no longer important to attend Sunday Mass to be a good Catholic. I know folks older than her who have been taught and now believe it doesn't matter if you're a Methodist or a Lutheran, or a Catholic, all roads lead to heaven.I get my sixty year old butt in trouble every time I hear this stuff and try to correct what I hear. I have had zero success over the years, and I've tried a few different approaches.
tim
(10-18-2010, 02:14 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah.. I get this alot.  I listened to my SIL and her devout Catholic friend go on and on about past lives and what they think they were in past lives. 
I've met a Catholic who believed in the multiplicity of gods.
Ever notice that those past life people never seem to have had undesirable previous lives?
(10-18-2010, 09:35 PM)dark lancer Wrote: [ -> ]Ever notice that those past life people never seem to have had undesirable previous lives?

LOL - so true.

That way, people can keep going back to hear more wonderful things about a "past life" they have no recollection of (because they don't have one).
(10-18-2010, 09:38 PM)Pax et Bonum Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-18-2010, 09:35 PM)dark lancer Wrote: [ -> ]Ever notice that those past life people never seem to have had undesirable previous lives?

LOL - so true.

That way, people can keep going back to hear more wonderful things about a "past life" they have no recollection of (because they don't have one).

Protip: when someone goes on about being a noble in Ancient Egypt, ask them "gee, what went wrong?"
:laughing:
I once went on an induced hypno-trip thing to recall past lives.  The past life I recalled involved me being a man, losing my wife and struggling to care for 4 children on my own.  I ended up giving up the children to the state and then offed myself in a wretched state of guilt longing for hell.  Was that a good past life?
Pages: 1 2