FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bishop Salvador Lazo - A Bishop Who Came Back To Tradition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bishop Nereo Odchimar, President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines, recently threatened President Benigno Aquino with excommunication if he continues in his intent to distribute contraceptives to Filipino couples who request them.  This got me thinking of Bishop Salvador L. Lazo, a courageous Filipino Bishop who I had the privilege of meeting after he returned to Tradition.  Bishop Lazo came to Hawaii with Bishop Williamson a few years before he passed away in early 2000, that is when I learned of his extraordinary journey back to the TLM.

Not many "Trads" outside of the Philippines have heard of Bishop Lazo so I have posted some links to articles about him.  Let us pray that more Bishops follow his example.     

My Return to the Traditional Latin Mass, an autobiography of a traditional Catholic bishop - http://www.sspx.org/Bishop_Lazo/my_retur...l_mass.htm .

Bishop Salvador Lazo's Last Will & The Warrior's Funeral, A Bishop's Testimony of Adherence to the Roman Catholic Faith - http://www.sspx.org/Bishop_Lazo/bishop_l...uneral.htm .

St. Lorenzo Ruiz, pray for us !
Thank you for sharing this truly wonderful and inspiring story.
(10-21-2010, 06:44 AM)fatiam13 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for sharing this truly wonderful and inspiring story.

You are very welcome.
I also met Bishop Lazo when he came to Los Angeles in 1995 (SSPX Our Lady of the Angeles).  He said Mass and then gave a talk.  I was able to converse with him in Tagalog of which I am fluent.  It was one unforgettable mement in my life.  Requiescat in Pace, Your Excellency,

As for the Philippne Bishops "threathening Pres.Aquino with excommunication" -- Aquino will incur the penalty of excommunication ipso facto the moment he sanctions and approves artificial birth control in the country and the penanlty would be latae sententiae (automatic) and there would be no need for the formal process of excommunicating him.  I wonder why the bishops didn't communicate this provision to him instead of raising the ire of Aquino backers and feminists with their "threat."
(10-21-2010, 03:24 PM)Vincentius Wrote: [ -> ]Aquino will incur the penalty of excommunication ipso facto the moment he sanctions and approves artificial birth control in the country and the penanlty would be latae sententiae (automatic) and there would be no need for the formal process of excommunicating him.  I wonder why the bishops didn't communicate this provision to him instead of raising the ire of Aquino backers and feminists with their "threat."

Probably because it isn't true.  Can you cite a canon?
(10-21-2010, 05:01 PM)spasiisochrani Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-21-2010, 03:24 PM)Vincentius Wrote: [ -> ]Aquino will incur the penalty of excommunication ipso facto the moment he sanctions and approves artificial birth control in the country and the penanlty would be latae sententiae (automatic) and there would be no need for the formal process of excommunicating him.  I wonder why the bishops didn't communicate this provision to him instead of raising the ire of Aquino backers and feminists with their "threat."

Probably because it isn't true.  Can you cite a canon?

Who incurs automatic excommunication:  "[T]here are eight instances when a person may incur excommunication latæ sententiæ.. unless the excusing circumstances outlined in canons 1321-1330[6] are verified, the following persons incur excommunication latæ sententiæ:  a person who procures a completed abortion." (Canon 1398).

The issue in the Philippines is "reproductive health" or artificial birth control.  B.C. by any means is the issue here in a country busting with almost 100 million in population.  The means or methods addressed are the Pill, IUD, Depo Provera, Norplant, etc.  The Pill is probably the most popular and the cheaper method.  However, all birth control pills are abortifacient (causes abortion), although they say not so.  Why take a chance?  Name me one Pill that doesn't cause abortion and I will concede the argument to you, but then, the Church has condemend artificial birth control, so those using it incur some penalty. 

Canon 1398 states that a person who procures a completed abortion is automatically excommunicated.  If you give a woman the Pill and this Pill causes abortion, you are as guilty.  If you drive a woman to an abortion clinic (or even assent to her decision to kill her child), you are as guilty.  Say not so and give me the reason.

If Canon 1398 is not an issue why did the bishops "threaten" Aquino with excommunication?  Perhaps to warn him not to do it?  Actually to my knowledge there was no threat.  It was only imagined by those proponents of the reproductive bill and made a big issue of it.