FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fulton Sheen on Novus Ordo, SSPX?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I haven't come across any explicit comments from him on the catastrophe of Vatican II, the Novus Ordo, or on the SSPX. Are you aware of any such comments from him?
See here for correspondence from 1978.
(10-22-2010, 10:53 AM)Clare Wrote: [ -> ]See here for correspondence from 1978.

Very interesting and disappointing, assuming it's authentic. I wonder if he ever responded to Dr. McKenzie.
In his autobiography "Treasure in Clay" he has a chapter on Vatican II and his participation in it (he also writes of it elsewhere). He says it was a great ourpouring of the Holy Spirit. He saw the problems after the Council as an outpouring of demonic spirit in attempt by the devil to thwart the good work of the Council (he gives some other historical instances of this). For example, he calls Gaudium et Spes a "brilliant document," but says instead of understanding it in terms of the Church's interest in the development of humanity, many people after the Council instead turned it into secularism which decreased spirituality and the sacredness of vocations, etc. He also says Pope John Paul II will go downs as one of the great Pontiffs of all time.

(10-22-2010, 11:32 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote: [ -> ]. He also says Pope John Paul II will go downs as one of the great Pontiffs of all time.

This above statement is very disappointing...  >sad
Perhaps in 1978-79 John Paul II was on the right track until the "outpouring of the demonic spirit" destroyed any or all of his future motives that may have been good for the Church... One may never know!
I'm willing to give Sheen a pass on that statement (assuming he made it), since he didn't live long enough to see the devastation John Paul II wrought.
Archbishop Sheen, an Enthusiast of Vatican II
By Marian T. Horvat, Ph.D

http://www.traditioninaction.org/HotTopi..._VatII.htm
(10-22-2010, 03:23 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: [ -> ]Archbishop Sheen, an Enthusiast of Vatican II

Very disappointing. I'd like to see a traditionalist defense of Sheen.
People have to remember that Bishop Sheen was 70 years old at the close of the Council.  Prior to that, he was the model of what Vatican II could have been, had the modernists not done their work so well.  Sheen wound up preaching the basics in his final years during the worst of the collapse.  And he was going from school to school. 

I often wonder how God places his soldiers to do what He needs them to do for His plans.  I've often found Sheen and LeFebvre interestingly positioned.  It's a shame that I believe Sheen did not understand where LeFebvre (10 years younger than he was driving at.)  LeFebvre had been protected and preserved in his faith for 30 years in Africa.  Sheen was in the center of the storm as it developed and happened. And I believe the false image of the Church was too close to Sheen's orthodox image of what the Church was for Sheen to notice the modernism until he'd witnessed the obvious loss of faith among the people. 

Sheen's latter day lectures are expressive of  a  incredible rage he felt at the fragmentation of the faith.  In the 1950's and prior he never would explode in indignation in the way he did in his late 70's and early 80's.   

Sheen was a great man who fought great battles and took great injury when he was caught by suprise in the post Vatican II onslought.  But his legacy is good and he's still a good bridge that can be used to teach the faith and bring people in. 

I can't imagine a 20th century Church without both Sheen and LeFebvre.  Sheen's example  can bring people in, LeFebvre's  can make people stay and hold on in the crisis. 

(10-22-2010, 03:37 PM)Jitpring Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-22-2010, 03:23 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: [ -> ]Archbishop Sheen, an Enthusiast of Vatican II

Very disappointing. I'd like to see a traditionalist defense of Sheen.

Well you do hear a lot of SSPX and FSSP priests quote Sheen in his speech and writings, especially pre 1962, so I'm guessing they give him a pass during his later years of liberalism1967-1977.
I know Traditonal Catholic Radio use to include his Catholic Hour programs from time to time, but for some reason I think they took them off.
Pages: 1 2 3