FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Make computer ring the Angelus bells?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all,
I was reading one of the quotes from Bary on my prayer request thread, and it made me wonder.

Is there an easy way to make my laptop computer play the Angelus bells at the appropriate times?  I imagine it's rather easy to do (schedule automated task and get the mp3), but does anyone have an Angelus bells recording? 

Thoughts?

Herr_M is probably one of the better resources for this?

Thanks!
(10-22-2010, 03:21 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all,
I was reading one of the quotes from Bary on my prayer request thread, and it made me wonder.

Is there an easy way to make my laptop computer play the Angelus bells at the appropriate times?  I imagine it's rather easy to do (schedule automated task and get the mp3), but does anyone have an Angelus bells recording? 

Thoughts?

Herr_M is probably one of the better resources for this?

Thanks!

That's a really cool idea! I have a thrice daily Angelus reminder with the Latin text on my Gmail calendar synced to my iPhone, which pops up a reminder. I forget it otherwise!
I'm the bell ringer at my parish, and one time I recorded myself ringing the bells, although it did not come out the best.  (Assuming I can find it,) I could try to fix up the audio though, if you'd like it.

In Christo Rege,
        -Steven

Edit:  To clarify, the reason I cannot make a new recording is because recently there's an issue with wasps in the bell tower, so I haven't been able to go and ring them.  Once that's resolved, though, I could make a better recording. Smile
(10-22-2010, 03:51 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]Edit:  To clarify, the reason I cannot make a new recording is because recently there's an issue with wasps in the bell tower, so I haven't been able to go and ring them.  Once that's resolved, though, I could make a better recording. Smile

Tell them to forget the sola scriptura and come into the Catholic Church.  You shouldn't have any problem with them after that. 
(10-22-2010, 03:51 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]Edit:  To clarify, the reason I cannot make a new recording is because recently there's an issue with wasps in the bell tower, so I haven't been able to go and ring them.  Once that's resolved, though, I could make a better recording. Smile

Wasps in the bell tower sound a lot worse than bats in the belfry to me!   LOL

It must be fun to be a bell ringer.  The sound of church bells is wonderful.  Florence is my favorite city in the world because you hear bells from so many churches all through the day. You hear them in smaller cities and towns, too, but not as many, and in Rome, the traffic drowns the bells out if you're not in the right place.

(10-22-2010, 04:03 PM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]

Tell them to forget the sola scriptura and come into the Catholic Church.  You shouldn't have any problem with them after that. 

Or baptize and confirm them and you won't see them again except at Christmas and Easter!  ;D  (Though that works better in the joke about the church getting rid of its mice that way, since you wouldn't want the wasps to come back at all.)

Good one!  Smile

*grins*  I was thinking about that acronym as I typed this message, and was wondering if anyone else would.

The issue is that around this time of year, the wasps come down from their nest in the spire to seek out the warmth of the church.  Last year, it would happen that I would open the door to the belfry, and find a couple of wasps sitting there trying to get in.

(10-22-2010, 04:09 PM)Revixit Wrote: [ -> ]Wasps in the bell tower sound a lot worse than bats in the belfry to me!   LOL

It must be fun to be a bell ringer.  The sound of church bells is wonderful.  Florence is my favorite city in the world because you hear bells from so many churches all through the day. You hear them in smaller cities and towns, too, but not as many, and in Rome, the traffic drowns the bells out if you're not in the right place.

It's truly a pleasure getting to ring the bells, especially since it gives me an excuse to be at church multiple times every day.  Sadly the bells don't have a large range, but you can here them from at least two miles away, if the winds are right.

Edited.
You guys are funny.

There are two tasks here:

* Getting the audio
* Scheduling the playback

Since the first is trivial, I did it for y'all:

http://www.mediafire.com/?el33vuiw38zyf38

The second is also trivial, for me, but since this depends on the system, it is left as an exercise to the reader.
Did it work?
Pages: 1 2