FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Defending the Crusades
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

I am taking a pre-modern middle east class this semester and as you probably guessed, the Crusades came up into the class discussion. For the record, I like my prof and I think he is a good guy although he definitely leans to the left and is some type of Protestant. (Probably because of his mother because his father is/was Lebanese.) He began to talk of how the Crusades or the first one at least, were promulgated by the Pope because of "half-truths" and how the Europeans savagely and mercilessly slaughtered anyone who wasn't Christian in the Holy Land and at spots on there way there. I stated that the Pope acted because of a combination of Islamic conquests of Christian lands, the destruction of the Church of the Holy Seplechur, and the prohibition on the part of the Caliphate of Cairo of Christian pilgrims into the Holy Land. He said that the "counter-attack" version of the Crusades was misleading and that most Christians in Europe aside from some in Spain cared about the Islamic conquests of the formerly Christian lands. Another classmate of mind chimed in to tell me that many of the European Crusaders eventually were so enamored by Arabic culture that many stayed in the Holy Land after the Crusades were finished and adopted Islamic ways. I know this too be untrue, however, I feel as if I need more scholarly sources to back up my position. For me to be credible I would need many or a good amount of sources from scholars who are well known in academia and who my professor would probably have heard of. This professor studied in the Middle East, lived there and is quite brilliant and the classmate of mine is doing his senior thesis/research on this very topic. I am asking for any help in locating sound, scholarly sources on the reasons for the crusades and there execution, particularly the first one.

Pax Christi Vobiscum,
                          Hammer
(10-26-2010, 07:17 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]Start here: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04543c.htm

Thank You Vetus.
So you have to justify the Christian version and the Pope's actions during the Crusades at a "catholic" college.........

Pathetic.

Universities, even "catholic" ones are mere cesspools of history revisionism these days.
HammerofHeretics i would tell you to contact St. Benedict Center http://www.catholicism.org they can tell you where to find the material where the Crusades can be shown to be just and moral.
Defending the Crusades and the Inquisition has become, at least now a days, the easiest thing in the world. Much of the protestant garbage has been discredited by secular historians and although they still do not give a glowing account, the internet has made it impossible for people not find out the truth in most cases.

Also lets not forget the Vatican Archives kept pretty tight and detail work on those things.
(10-26-2010, 06:23 PM)HammerOfHeretics Wrote: [ -> ]Another classmate of mind chimed in to tell me that many of the European Crusaders eventually were so enamored by Arabic culture that many stayed in the Holy Land after the Crusades were finished and adopted Islamic ways. I know this too be untrue, however, I feel as if I need more scholarly sources to back up my position. For me to be credible I would need many or a good amount of sources from scholars who are well known in academia and who my professor would probably have heard of. This professor studied in the Middle East, lived there and is quite brilliant and the classmate of mine is doing his senior thesis/research on this very topic. I am asking for any help in locating sound, scholarly sources on the reasons for the crusades and there execution, particularly the first one.

This could easily be shown to be false by the establishment of the Crusader States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader_states). These were eventually destroyed by Muslims. Nobody seems to remember this.

So yes, many stayed in the Holy Land after the crusades, but the real problem was getting more people to come to establish proper Christian kingdoms.
Pretty much anything from Thomas Madden is good for info on the fly. CrusaderKing already provided one article from him. Here's a list of various articles by him including many on the Crusades:

http://www.thomasmadden.org/articles.html

It's also good to remember that you don't need to defend everything--like many wars, things often get out of hand or soldiers commit abuses and even atrocities. Pope Innocent III even excommunicated many and called them dogs for the horrible things they did--but that is the nature of war sometimes (some soldiers are guilty of abuses in probably every war).
Pages: 1 2