FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Clown Masses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Up to 3 votes.

I’ve heard about clown masses so many times here on FishEaters that I’ve decided to run a poll to see what personal experiences people might have with them.  My guess is none directly, because while I do not doubt that a few have happened (yes, I’ve seen the YouTube videos), a couple of clown masses in a sea of literally billions of masses is statistically ignorable.  However, clown masses get trotted out all the time.  While I understand that they are an easy way to poke at the NO, I think it does little good other than feed our own sense of superiority.  Clown masses are for tradition what bumper stickers are for politics, and there are many problems there.  First of all, it gives a skewed view of what the true abuses at the NO actually are.  They are not clown masses, but the severe theological deficiencies inherent in the new rite.  Secondly, any NO Catholic who is interested in tradition and finds their way to FishEaters would probably scratch their head and say, “what the heck are they talking about?" and then conclude that if we're basing our rejection of the NO on severe abuses such as clown masses, and since they've never seen such sever abuse, then perhaps they will conclude that there is nothing wrong with the NO they attend.  And finally, in the 2000 years (yes, a bit of traditional hyperbole) of the TLM, I am sure there have been a handful of terrible liturgical abuses of the Mass of All Ages, too, and I wouldn't accept such examples as evidence for the deficiences of the TLM, so why should I do the same for the NO.

So, my suggestion is that unless we have personal experience of a terrible liturgical abuse, such as a clown mass, we stick to discussing the true problems with the NO, and not the statistical outliers.  In the end, harping on clown masses is not going to bring anyone to Tradition.  Sound theological reasoning, coupled with prayer, will.

Pax,
Jesse

ETA:  my votes:  I have seen videos on YouTube and I have heard of them.
The same experience as you, but I do have to state that the way I have seen the NO performed regularly in the USA is "clownish" in comparison to traditions forsaken. It seems that people do not know what is going on, and the atmosphere encourages such ignorance.
I've only heard of them and that was in the tank...
Define clown Mass.
(10-28-2010, 04:56 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: [ -> ]Define clown Mass.

Good point.  When I hear of "clown masses" I assume it is a mass where the priest is dressed up literally like a clown, since those are the clown masses I was pointed to on YouTube when I first asked what they were.  Perhaps people use clown mass in a different sense, but for this poll let's keep it to the strict definition here.

Pax,
Jesse
(10-28-2010, 04:58 PM)Jesse Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2010, 04:56 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: [ -> ]Define clown Mass.

Good point.  When I hear of "clown masses" I assume it is a mass where the priest is dressed up literally like a clown, since those are the clown masses I was pointed to on YouTube when I first asked what they were.  Perhaps people use clown mass in a different sense, but for this poll let's keep it to the strict definition here.

Pax,
Jesse

Ok, like, if the priest in question is a clown?
"Clown mass" is just the most popular way of referring to a long list of novelty masses, some of which are here:

http://www.traditio.com/nos.htm

That alone doesn't prove the errors of V2, but it's a good example of what happens when you water down the true Mass.

I agree with you to some extent, but "by their fruits ye shall know them".

EDIT: Bugger it.  Typos in scripture when you're up on your high horse, ready to go out with a bang, really spoil the mood.  ;D
Awwwwwww... FREAK OUT

I've only seen them here.
tim
This one is my favourite:

[Image: com0209j.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13