FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How Many People Have Seen a Drag Show? Newman Society
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No, that’s not the spirit of Halloween we had in mind.

According to the University Calendar on the Loyola University Chicago website, an event titled “The Queens of Drag” was held last night (10/28) at the Centennial Forum Student Union on campus.  The event page reads:

Quote: Taj Mahal, Dida Ritz, and the DGK Kings take to the stage to show the Loyola campus some gender-bending at its best!  Performance to be followed by half hour Q&A with the performers.

Is the Q&A session an attempt at making the drag show vaguely academic?  According to the flawed logic of some, events like this or The Vagina Monogogues are acceptable for a Catholic university if a panel of theologians discusses the event through a Catholic lens afterwards.  But this is a Q&A with the performers!

“When Catholic parents send their children to a Catholic university they should be able to expect at least basic standards of decency and morality,” writes CNS President Patrick J. Reilly in a letter to Loyola President Fr. Michael J. Garanzini, S.J.  “Events like this not only undermine the sacred trust parents have in Loyola University, but may lead to serious personal and social problems caused by confusion about sexuality.  Drag shows debase the human person and are an affront to Catholic teaching on the dignity of the human person.”

Read More
http://blog.cardinalnewmansociety.org/20...c-college/
I don't think I've ever seen a drag show, but this happens in three or four places every year.
No, this stuff almost never happens.
(10-30-2010, 12:02 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: [ -> ]No, this stuff almost never happens.

Except in Ancient Greece, the Globe Theater, etc.

I don't have a problem with drag depending on the content of the performance.  If it's a sexualized and bawdy performance, it doesn't matter if the person is in drag or dressed like their own gender.  "Drag" is really just costuming for a given role.

Of course, I doubt they were doing an authentic Macbeth at Loyola....
(10-30-2010, 07:08 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-30-2010, 12:02 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: [ -> ]No, this stuff almost never happens.

Except in Ancient Greece, the Globe Theater, etc.

I don't have a problem with drag depending on the content of the performance.  If it's a sexualized and bawdy performance, it doesn't matter if the person is in drag or dressed like their own gender.  "Drag" is really just costuming for a given role.

Of course, I doubt they were doing an authentic Macbeth at Loyola....

Quote:This isn’t the first time a drag show has been held on LUC’s campus.  In 2008, LUC’s “Official GLBTQ Organization” held a Costume and Drag Show which asked students to “Bring your dollar bills”.  The Student Diversity and Multicultural Affairs journal reveals that the 2008 event was “Loyola’s first ever Drag Show”.  The LUC Residence Life Herald from 2009 lists “Annual Drag Show” on a list of upcoming dates.

there are further links if you go to the Newman Center site and click on the links of the past "Drag Shows" given by the "Official GLBTQ Organization".
(10-30-2010, 08:50 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: [ -> ]there are further links if you go to the Newman Center site and click on the links of the past "Drag Shows" given by the "Official GLBTQ Organization".

I graduated from there, so I have a pretty good idea of what they were doing without clicking.  Like I said, I doubt it was Macbeth...