FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Refuse to call it the "Extraordinary Form"!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Friends,

Do you refuse - as I do - ever to call the traditional Mass the "Extraordinary Form," and thus refuse ever to call the vandalized Mass the "Ordinary Form"? I'm convinced that this novelty (yet another Vatican II novelty!) was insisted upon by those around Benedict as a compromise. Otherwise these hounds from Hell would have fought against Summorum Pontificum to the death. Their absurd "Ordinary/Extraordinary" distinction was meant to ensure that the traditional Mass would remain marginalized. What do you think?
I refuse to even call it the "traditional Mass" except when required for distinction - I just call it what it is, the Mass.
I find the terms "Ordinary" and "Extraordinary" repulsive,  insulting and banal.

The Mass is the Mass.  There is no other Mass.  There are not two Masses or three Masses - there is only one Catholic Mass which was codified by the Council of Trent in the 16th century.

It's the Immemorial Rite
I thinks the whole extraordinary/ordinary distinction is really just a pc way of covering up the fact that we have two Roman rites.
The idea that there are two "forms" of the same rite is a complete novelty and is not found in tradition. There has never been two forms of the Roman rite because there was always one Roman rite Mass, the TLM.

The Novus Ordo is a completely new Mass and a total fabrication, not an organic development to the TLM. The TLM is the Roman rite and the Novus Ordo is a Mass that was forced on the Church, giving us two rites.

Pope Benedict made this political compromise because as the Hegelian Ratzinger, he wants a new mixed rite at some point in the future with a new synthesis. I personally think Pope Benedict basically punted and has left it to a future successor to sort it all out and fix it. That Pope will be the Pope of Tradition.    
(10-30-2010, 02:13 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: [ -> ]I thinks the whole extraordinary/ordinary distinction is really just a pc way of covering up the fact that we have two Roman rites.
The idea that there are two "forms" of the same rite is a complete novelty and is not found in tradition. There has never been two forms of the Roman rite because there was always one Roman rite Mass, the TLM.

The Novus Ordo is a completely new Mass and a total fabrication, not an organic development to the TLM. The TLM is the Roman rite and the Novus Ordo is a Mass that was forced on the Church, giving us two rites.

Pope Benedict made this political compromise because as the Hegelian Ratzinger, he wants a new mixed rite at some point in the future with a new synthesis. I personally think Pope Benedict basically punted and has left it to a future successor to sort it all out and fix it. That Pope will be the Pope of Tradition.    

You said it all.
I use the terms "Extraordinary Form" and "Ordinary Form" because this is what has been taught by the Pope and I accept his authority.
I guess I see it the opposite way...find the terms pretty fitting. The NO is pretty ordinary and the TLM is pretty extraordinary if you think about it.
(10-30-2010, 02:13 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: [ -> ]I thinks the whole extraordinary/ordinary distinction is really just a pc way of covering up the fact that we have two Roman rites.

Yep, the vandalized Mass is the antithesis of the TLM. But there can be no synthesis, no "mutual enrichment," as Benedict has spoken of, because the vandalized Mass offers nothing enriching. Who was it who said that in 50 years the Novus Ordo would be a footnote? I hope he's right.
(10-30-2010, 02:20 PM)franklinf Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I see it the opposite way...find the terms pretty fitting. The NO is pretty ordinary and the TLM is pretty extraordinary if you think about it.

I see what you mean. But if these words are really to be taken qualitatively, the NO would have to be called not the Ordinary Form, but the Bastardized Form, or the Vandalized Form, or the Puerile Form, or the Dessicated Form, or the Oprahist Form, or Fabricated Form. Something like those.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8