FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Yet more bad news
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
God is so patient with us, to put up with these things.
Does anyone else see an ad for MTV for a show called "Skins" on that page with dubious content matter?

And they sell this: The Book of Genesis illustrated by R. Crumb (if you don't know who Crumb is, well, don't waste your time looking him up).

http://www.speroforum.com/book/item.asp?ItemId=0393061027&ReviewPage=&SI=Books

Odd site...
(10-31-2010, 12:00 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone else see an ad for MTV for a show called "Skins" on that page with dubious content matter?

And they sell this: The Book of Genesis illustrated by R. Crumb (if you don't know who Crumb is, well, don't waste your time looking him up).

Odd site...

We refuse to have cable.  So no.
(10-31-2010, 12:00 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone else see an ad for MTV for a show called "Skins" on that page with dubious content matter?

Odd site...

Skins is a really awesome British show. MTV is doing an Americanized version which they will undoubtedly screw up.
A really awesome show?  What, about teenagers rooting around, taking drugs and killing themselves??

Not my cup of lapsang souchong, that's for sure.
(10-31-2010, 08:20 AM)paragon Wrote: [ -> ]A really awesome show?  What, about teenagers rooting around, taking drugs and killing themselves??

Not my cup of lapsang souchong, that's for sure.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with watching any sort of show/listening to any sort of music provided it's not blasphemous or an occasion of mortal sin. I know there's a lot of opinions on this among trads though, from my pretty liberal stance all the way to throw the tv and the rock music out.
If we eat too many of the wrong foods, we'll become ill.  Physical health is not a matter of "if it's not poison, it's OK".  The soul is the same - and of course, the soul is far more precious than the body.  If things don't edify us, we're better of chucking them out, even if they're not mortally sinful.

In my experience, the most practical danger of trashy TV and music is that the lyrics, quotes or situations get stuck in my head.  It might not directly lead me to sin but I'm sure it's not affecting me in a positive way spiritually.
(10-31-2010, 08:49 AM)paragon Wrote: [ -> ]If we eat too many of the wrong foods, we'll become ill.  Physical health is not a matter of "if it's not poison, it's OK".  The soul is the same - and of course, the soul is far more precious than the body.  If things don't edify us, we're better of chucking them out, even if they're not mortally sinful.

In my experience, the most practical danger of trashy TV and music is that the lyrics, quotes or situations get stuck in my head.  It might not directly lead me to sin but I'm sure it's not affecting me in a positive way spiritually.

That's a valid point. I definitely see the benefit of cutting out world things even if they're not causing you to sin. I guess I'm just a regular 20 year old that enjoys most of the things regular 20 year olds do, even if my spiritual life could benefit from cutting them out. I guess I can be a bit two faced in that sense. I was thinking about that last month when I stopped by a church for some time in front of the tabernacle while I was on my way to meet some friends at a club. I'll often go to a party on Saturday night and do what most of my non-Catholic friends do and then try to pull myself together for Mass the next morning. I'll probably have to sort that out sometime but for now it seems to be working out fine.
Maybe I should try going to parties & watching TV then, because I'm extremely boring and hardly ever do any of that stuff, yet I struggle spiritually.  :laughing:
Pages: 1 2