FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Joan of Arc and how impressive she was
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The other day I was thinking that the story of Joan of Arc is as impressive as many of the stories of the bible, I don't see the events in her life as less amazing than those of Samson for example, and they are all historical and well documented.
Sorry if it seems irrelevant, I just wanted to share the thought.
God is still involved in Human History.
Yes, she was amazing.

I think the actions of the nations of France and England during this time were despicable.
That's not irrelevant - it's actually a really good point.  Probably a little less strange than the whole Samson/Delilah thing but still, it's a good example.
In a way, St. Joan of Arc (Feast Day May 30) reminds me of the Hebrew Judge Deborah, who helped lead her people against the Canaanites and even Judith, who helped defeat the Assyrians when she cut off the head of their general Holofernes while he slept.

There is an old tradition that says when the heart of St. Joan of Arc is found, the monarchy will be restored to France.
Since I am French, I am especially proud of Jeanne d'Arc.  I read about her life and am inspired each time.  And to think that she was so young...... :pray2:
Was there in her life something so suspicious that the Church delayed her canonization for 4  centuries, or was it because there was nobody on the Rouen's cathedral place shouting "Santo subito" ?
To be honest, I think it was the French Revolutions' (yes, multiple revolutions) hatred of monarchs that delayed her canonization.
(11-03-2010, 04:18 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, I think it was the French Revolutions' (yes, multiple revolutions) hatred of monarchs that delayed her canonization.

I don't think so.
She was martyred in the 15th century while the Revolution occured by the end of the 18th. The kings of France had more than 3 centuries to complete the canonization trial.
In my opinion Joan of Arc was condemned by a court of the Holy Inquisition. It was difficult for the Church to acknowledge that it had erred.
Possibly that is not the only reason.
Has anyone seen the famous silent film from 1928 on Joan of Arc, any reviews?
(11-03-2010, 06:22 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone seen the famous silent film from 1928 on Joan of Arc, any reviews?

Watch it. It's excellent.
Pages: 1 2