FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: pelosi kissing pope benedict's ring
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: pelosi10.jpg]

this is old news from when pope visited bush years ago. i think about it from time to time.

she's a heretic because she's pro-abortion, right? is she just kissing his hand for show, or does she really believe shes catholic? is it sincere?
Is anything politicians do sincere?  She's kissing his ring because she wants to look like a decent human being who has respect for other views and for religion, and who treats dignitaries with respect despite her own personal views.  But in her mind she was probably thinking "I'm kissing your ring to congratulate you on what a great job you've done of continuing the destruction of the Church".
I wouldn't put much stock into what a person means by kissing the ring. For political figures, it's likely just a courtesy. Though for non-Catholics like former President Bush, I don't expect him to kiss the papal ring anymore than he ought to make a subservient gesture to the Dalai Lama.
When Teddy Kennedy brought together all of the priests and theologian to find an excuse not to conform to Pope Paul VI's Humanae Vitae it gave all of these politicos so inclined very good cover. Mrs. Pelosi is not a scholar but I have seen Governor Mario Cuomo use the arguments augmenting it with S. Thomas Aquinas and others and make a convincing case that most folks would buy. This was years ago and the politcos have forgotten that these arguments are not correct, but they have opined for so many years using them, they now believe their own horse feathers. I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut she believes she is a devout practicing Catholic. I'd go so far that when Pope Benedict XVI took her aside for their little talk she was shocked because she thinks that issue is settled and they won the argument. Pope Bendict XVI thought otherwise. 
tim
(11-02-2010, 08:07 AM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]When Teddy Kennedy brought together all of the priests and theologian to find an excuse not to conform to Pope Paul VI's Humanae Vitae it gave all of these politicos so inclined very good cover. Mrs. Pelosi is not a scholar but I have seen Governor Mario Cuomo use the arguments augmenting it with S. Thomas Aquinas and others and make a convincing case that most folks would buy. This was years ago and the politcos have forgotten that these arguments are not correct, but they have opined for so many years using them, they now believe their own horse feathers. I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut she believes she is a devout practicing Catholic. I'd go so far that when Pope Benedict XVI took her aside for their little talk she was shocked because she thinks that issue is settled and they won the argument. Pope Bendict XVI thought otherwise.   
tim

"I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut she believes she is a devout practicing Catholic."

so would i.  she ought to know better but most people don't intend to do evil, have their blind spots.

and i'd love to have heard what His Holiness said to her and seen her reaction.  i hope he got through to her and she will work on atonement in the future.  if she loses her seat, she'll have plenty of time. 

i'm not following polls so i don't know if there's a chance she won't be re-elected but think there's a good chance the GOP will choose the next Speaker.  i saw a suggestion that it would be john boehner, who is said to be a pro-life Catholic.  if he becomes speaker,  hope he doesn't compromise his principles.

i tend to agree with timoose and revisxit. she seems too sincere. she's just ignorant?
Aren't you supposed to genuflect on your left knee while kissing His Holiness' ring (or that of your own ordinary)?
good question! inquiring minds wanna know!

(11-02-2010, 11:43 AM)3Sanctus Wrote: [ -> ]Aren't you supposed to genuflect on your left knee while kissing His Holiness' ring (or that of your own ordinary)?

Yes, and any cardinal too, I believe.
Pages: 1 2