FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What do guys think about wage slavery, how Christian is it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Bible tells masters to be kind to their slaves and that slaves should be obedient to their masters. But what if those masters are not kind to their slaves? More and more, full time jobs in America do not pay enough to meet basic neccesities, and more elderly people and even those in their 30's and 40's take $8-10hr. jobs in order to survive. They have no choice, and the really desperate ones read books on how to know what the system wants you to say (i.e. "How to Interview Well," etc.) for the priviledge of working till you die. Nevermind what you want to say or believe, just know what they want you to say. Amazing. And the American bonehead still talks about his "freedoms" and "rights." 

Yet there are more billionaires than ever. Ok, so, like 90% of all Americans, I am a wage slave. Do I have an obligation to do a good job being paid a wage I cannot survive on? Is the master being kind as the Bible says? I guess this leads me to another question, what if none of the masters are Christian? Hence, their moral conscience is free from any Christian scrupels and they can do as Ayn Rand taught them: "greed is good." It is obvious to me that none of the masters in America are Christian, let alone Catholic, so what do you do? Follow their orders to your own destruction, or risk the consequences of rebellion against the police and army and also your peers, who only want a comfortable life and a smooth running economy but who cloak their aims in "Christian" double-talk: "obey your masters." What about their part? 

Here are some fact about me, a wage slave, and the traditional white guy whom the New America (greed is good) feels it can do without:

I have never had a felony or commited a crime.
I have no children that I am not raising.
I have never hurt anyone physically except for verbally and occasional nasty arguments.
I have never ripped anyone off.
I've repaid my debts.
I have a master degree.
I don't even totally "suck" as a worker.

So, what right does this country have, USA, to stop someone from living for the "crime" of speaking their minds by depriving that person of the God given right to work?  I am just letting people in other countries know what a sham it is to proclaim 'religious freedom' and 'free speech' and the "right" to bear 'arms,' etc., when you can be fired from your means of survival for any reason, at any time, and with minimal benefits, and then blackballed from future employment for "saying the wrong thing." The thought control in the USA is nightmarish, believe me. It is an empire to be feared.

Like I said, Christianity and wage slavery, where 4% unemployment is considered "full" employment and where one can be fired and blackballed for speaking out and deprived of life seem incompatible. Work is not a "priviledge," it is a right, and anyone willing to work an honest job has the right to justice, respect and life. I don't care what my Jewish, Freemasonic and "Illumined" masters say.

I hope this is actually reaching people and doing some good. Happy All Saints Day too. 
Hey mistman - I'm sorry to heur of your woes. To some degree it comes back to the degree of government intervention. Here in Quebec, the solution to wage slavery is free education. We have the equivalent of community college where folks can study to be social workers, nurses, chemical technicians, welders, etc. University is heavily subsidized too. With an in-demand training, freedom from wage slavery becomes achievable. We also have fairly strong labour laws in which you cannot fire workers for any old reason.

Of course there are counter-points to this sort of model too. Lots of people will study in fields with limited economic use. Labour laws can make it difficult to dislodge truly bad workers, especially in union environments. As a Canadian I'm willing to live with these inefficiencies for the sake of providing increased opportunity thru education and having a measure of social peace. But there are tons of inefficiencies, and abuse of the system as well.
That was ahit the overdose of leftist rhetoric
puke
really
puke
first thng. Should do is Thank God u live in a Country where u can find work and actuall make a livng and even get a good job. Sure times r togh right now but u live I. A nation that has allot t offer u. Bless u belive them crazy mexicans are comming daily by the thousands for the weather.
R u a slave? Well no u r not. U have a choice. U can not work and live as a bm and a loser if that what u want or u can work and tr to earn a living. Slave as a word generally negates a choice. Slaves do t choose their masters. U can. And certainly if u want to get better jobs and do better then u need to know the system so what. Is it fair no but such is life.  Hate interviews to but it's on you and me tha if we want the job to show up dressed approprietly and handel ourselves well (the horror the horror)
r u a slave? I doubt it but like everyone else besides those billionaire which u seemto have envy for u and I and everyone else has to waither work for someone else to earn ends meat or work for ourselves
such is life
now stop pouting and either gt. Better education to help u in finding better work or be gratefully and th kcull to God for having the work u do
u have nothing to lose but your chains lad
and a world to win

Defrauding laborers of their just wages is one of the sins that cry to heaven for vengeance.

These days you are supposed to be happy you even have a job - didn't you know that? lol

Seriously though, all you can do is your job as best as you can as long as you're there - meanwhile seek other job opportunities - and best of luck!

Or can just be miserble and both and complain all damn day about your jb and thnk yourself a slave. Thing is once ithinm yourself a slave u start actually acting like one
be warned
hasta la Victoria sempre!!!!
Viva revolution!!!!

(11-03-2010, 07:57 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]Or can just be miserble and both and complain all damn day about your jb and thnk yourself a slave. Thing is once ithinm yourself a slave u start actually acting like one
be warned
hasta la Victoria sempre!!!!
Viva revolution!!!!

That's a fact. Once you let it get to you = you're screwed.

There was a business model which was somewhat more just in the USA. It would not be too difficult to get it back. It would take reforming the Fed. and the IRS, and could unleash men to make a solid living wage on their own. One of the problems is the buzz word "entrepreneurs". It is used as a synonym for small business man, it is not synonymous. What it would take is "small banks" to get back in the banking business. It would also take a moving away from the "college is a necessity to make a living" ruse. On the job training would need to be re-embraced, and in small businesses, it would help bring modest success. Workers would start a low wages like the $8-10/ hr. and as they became more skilled their wages would rise. The reason used to be for starting low was that the worker took longer than a skilled man so if you measured his pay against output he was getting the same as a skilled worker because he took more time to accomplish the same task. This has been abandoned, and wages are tied to how much can you screw the worker, because their isn't any other way to survive. I know I know I worked through this shit. For instance if we returned to the old model and use a lunch counter type of business as an example we'd see something like this. The equipment could be bought used for small money, then rent a store, and work it yourself, with a couple of waitresses. Small payroll, hard work, but it could be built up to be a very good paying job. Contrasting the way it is done today, and this is an actual account of an acquaintance. First find the land with space for a carpark. Then acquire zoning, get a loan, or float a bond issue, build the restaurant and parking lot. Hire wait staff several cooks and a chef and bartenders. Make it a theme park. Have your economist figure life cycle costs before you start, and pull the plug and sell before it reaches the limit, and walk away rich leaving broken lives and an empty restaurant with a lot and blight on suburbia.Ain't America great ! Now you know why the local "Bar and Birds" risque fern bar extraordinaire  went away after four years, they are not in it for the business, just the payday.
tim
(11-03-2010, 07:14 AM)mistman Wrote: [ -> ]. . . and more elderly people and even those in their 30's and 40's take $8-10hr. jobs in order to survive.

How much "skill" do such jobs require and how much monetary value do such jobs add to the "master's" business?  In my area, a person who lives a frugal as opposed to spendthrift lifestyle can meet his basic needs and have some enjoyment with wages of approximately $28,000/yr, which is what this would work out to for a 60 hr wk.  There is no automatic entitlement to a 40 hr wk.  My weeks as a "slave" 15 - 20 yrs ago were about 55 hrs. for $5/hr.  My wks as a "master" are currently 55 - 65 hrs.

Also, the economy here is based on households having 2 incomes.  I don't think it should be based on 2 incomes, but individual "masters" are powerless to change this--the entire economy is based on this including what the "master" can charge for his goods/services, and, thus, ultimately the earnings of his business, too.

(11-03-2010, 07:14 AM)mistman Wrote: [ -> ]. . . and the really desperate ones read books on how to know what the system wants you to say (i.e. "How to Interview Well," etc.) for the priviledge of working till you die. Nevermind what you want to say or believe, just know what they want you to say. Amazing. And the American bonehead still talks about his "freedoms" and "rights."

To what nature of questions and responses are you referring?

(11-03-2010, 07:14 AM)mistman Wrote: [ -> ]. . .

I guess this leads me to another question, what if none of the masters are Christian? Hence, their moral conscience is free from any Christian scrupels and they can do as Ayn Rand taught them: "greed is good." It is obvious to me that none of the masters in America are Christian, let alone Catholic, so what do you do? Follow their orders to your own destruction, or risk the consequences of rebellion against the police and army and also your peers, who only want a comfortable life and a smooth running economy but who cloak their aims in "Christian" double-talk: "obey your masters." What about their part? 

It would seem preferable for Catholics to work for Catholics, but, particularly in some geographical area, this is not realistic.  But one should certainly not work for a place in he would be required to do things contrary to the Commandments or the teachings of the Faith.

Whomever one accepts employment with, he owes perform as understood for the wages agreed upon.

What do you mean by your reference to there being no Catholic masters in the U.S.?

". . . risk the consequences of rebellion against the police and army and also your peers, who only want a comfortable life . . ."
How can it be that your "peers" have a "comfortable life," but you don't?

(11-03-2010, 07:14 AM)mistman Wrote: [ -> ]. . .
I have a master degree.
I don't even totally "suck" as a worker.

What is the field of your Master's degree?  Simply having a Master's isn't very telling, as some Masters degree bring more monetary value to a business than others do.

Your comment about your qualtiy as a worker--do you literally mean you're at the minimal level or are you understating that you do a very good job.  Many would think the former entitled them to grand pay these days.

"Work is not a "priviledge," it is a right . . ."

Why do you think this?

I'm sorry if you're just blowing off steam due to a recent bad experience.  But you have espoused a philosophical slant very different from mine.  I'm not a billionaire.  I have worked for minimum wage, I have worked long hours, I have worked a cushy high-paying job for a 40 hr wk, and now I'm a couple of years into my own business.  At every stage I have thought exactly the same way I do now.  I feel there is NO greater slavery than what ultimately results from what you've espoused.
Contrary to what one may infer from my previous post, I do recognize that our economy has issues.  And I agree with Tim, particularly his thoughts on small banks and the concept of requiring a college degree for everything.  In fact, I believe requiring a college degree for everything causes many social and religious woes, but will not hijack this thread to elaborate.
"Wage slave" isn't even a Catholic term, and the assumptions surrounding it are false.... the country i know of where you had a right to work was the Soviet Union, and that was the only right you had.
Pages: 1 2