FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: More "orthodox" drivel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

I couldn't help but feel sad when I realised that the person who made this video is actually an ex-Catholic.

Anyway, it's good to recap the arguments and the incredible pride and blindness these "orthodox" have towards the Church.
(11-03-2010, 08:32 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]

I couldn't help but feel sad when I realised that the person who made this video is actually an ex-Catholic.

Anyway, it's good to recap the arguments and the incredible pride and blindness these "orthodox" have towards the Church.

this division makes no sense. They were the first Protestants, right?
I love the part where he goes out of his way to state the number of demands that the Pope must comply with in order for the "orthodox" to accept him. Basically, he has to renounce the faith. LOL...

I can't blame him too much, though. John Paul II set a precedence for that.
(11-03-2010, 08:34 PM)ketchum Wrote: [ -> ]this division makes no sense. They were the first Protestants, right?

Wrong, they did not break off due to faith, they were excommunicated due to grave misunderstandings from both sides. Therefore they did not protest against the faith of the Church. Let us remember it is well to have love for the Most Holy Catholic Church, it is not good ever, to be so full of pride that we set ourselves up to be the judges of the world. The Lord God is the only legitimate judge of humanity. If this is wrong, I will gladly accept correction provided it is backed up by legitimate church sources.

Pax et Bonum,
Tom
(11-03-2010, 09:36 PM)Tom Stouffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2010, 08:34 PM)ketchum Wrote: [ -> ]this division makes no sense. They were the first Protestants, right?

Wrong, they did not break off due to faith, they were excommunicated due to grave misunderstandings from both sides.

They were excommunicated because of their unwillingness to submit to the divine authority of the Pope. Subsequently, all doctrinal disagreements (or misunderstandings) such as the Filioque, Purgatory, Immaculate Conception, etc., stem from that very first sin of pride. Once they submit to the the Vicar of Christ, as they have done in the past (Lyon and Florence), all those theological difficulties will evaporate.
(11-03-2010, 09:45 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]

Wrong, they did not break off due to faith, they were excommunicated due to grave misunderstandings from both sides.

They were excommunicated because of their unwillingness to submit to the divine authority of the Pope. Subsequently, all doctrinal disagreements (or misunderstandings) such as the Filioque, Purgatory, Immaculate Conception, etc., stem from that very first sin of pride. Once they submit to the the Vicar of Christ, as they have done in the past (Lyon and Florence), all those theological difficulties will evaporate.

The filioque was never an official pronouncement of the Magisterium and therefore was in essence heresy. Pope Benedict himself omitted it during a meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople. Also as to the other matters mentioned, none were official doctrine or dogma at the time of the excommunicating, 1054. Unless you are willing to back up your statements with verifiable fact, I cannot accept your statement as anything more than pretentious and argumentative.

Pax, et Bonam
Heresy???
Thanks for the video, Vetus - didn't manage to make it to the end, though... way too one-sided. Point 9 makes sense though - return to the TLM and celebrate some divine hours in the churches. I agree that the narrator presents a rather prideful view of the Orthodox who are claimed to hold the apostolic faith and can't any compromises, etc.
(11-03-2010, 10:29 PM)Tom Stouffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2010, 09:45 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]

The filioque was never an official pronouncement of the Magisterium and therefore was in essence heresy. Pope Benedict himself omitted it during a meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople. Also as to the other matters mentioned, none were official doctrine or dogma at the time of the excommunicating, 1054. Unless you are willing to back up your statements with verifiable fact, I cannot accept your statement as anything more than pretentious and argumentative.

Pax, et Bonam

who do you think you are calling the filioque heresy  ? true, it isn't explicitly mentioned in the original creed, but neither is transubstantiation.
Calling the Filioque a heresy is one example of why there will never be a Catholic/Orthodox reunion... not by the work of human hands, at any rate.

Based on historical patterns, if you have a schism that lasts for more than two generations, you can pretty much forget about it being healed. There are simply too many divergences from that point out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9