FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Who is snuffing your neighbour's kittens? (Crypto-Trads at Christendom College?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(04-11-2014, 04:48 PM)Jacob Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-17-2014, 06:55 AM)Cetil Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-24-2013, 12:07 PM)Jacob Wrote: [ -> ]The diocese of Arlington's traditional streak keeps coming up and I am wondering if there is some way we can identify just how deep it goes.  Was there any talk of the FSSP settling there for their seminary in North America rather than in the diocese of Lincoln?

Bishop Loverde is I think tolerant of the Extraordinary Form at best, he allowed it in the diocese at the same time he allowed altar girls, kind of a strange trade off. But many alumni of Christendom are oriented towards the EF, and ten are now priests in the FSSP and two are in the ICKSP. I doubt Loverde would allow the FSSP into the diocese

I am familiar with Bishop Loverde's actions.  My question was about when the FSSP first came to the US to establish a seminary.  Did it consider Arlington under Keating at all or was it invited to Lincoln under Bruskewitz?

Sorry I missed that one. Bishop Keating didn't allow the EF in Arlington period so I doubt the FSSP even approached him. It was not a topic that could even be discussed at that time. I have no knowledge of what happened with Bruskewitz.

C.

C.
This is a critical look at Bozell through the prism of US conservative politics in the context of reviewing Kelly's book.  (http://nationalinterest.org/bookreview/t...ther-10311)  Some of its points are interesting, especially what I bold below.
Quote:Indeed, for all Bozell’s personal fecundity, he was something of a mule in terms of his influence on the conservative movement as it developed after 1960. He disavowed his book The Warren Revolution shortly after its publication in 1966, and hardly any conservative scholars seem to have directly followed his take on constitutional originalism. Few conservatives nowadays call for Catholic theocracy or advocate some of the more interesting ideas that came out of Triumph’s extremism, including its moral opposition to nuclear weapons, its promotion of a quasi-communal economy, and its condemnation of capitalism and the free market. Triumph, which never had more than a few thousand subscribers, finally sputtered to a halt in the mid-1970s, after which Bozell’s mental and financial troubles all but incapacitated him. He spent the last years of his life performing Catholic charitable work and regained some measure of internal peace before dying from pneumonia at age seventy-one.
(05-02-2014, 12:34 PM)Jacob Wrote: [ -> ]This is a critical look at Bozell through the prism of US conservative politics in the context of reviewing Kelly's book.  (http://nationalinterest.org/bookreview/t...ther-10311)  Some of its points are interesting, especially what I bold below.
Quote:Indeed, for all Bozell’s personal fecundity, he was something of a mule in terms of his influence on the conservative movement as it developed after 1960. He disavowed his book The Warren Revolution shortly after its publication in 1966, and hardly any conservative scholars seem to have directly followed his take on constitutional originalism. Few conservatives nowadays call for Catholic theocracy or advocate some of the more interesting ideas that came out of Triumph’s extremism, including its moral opposition to nuclear weapons, its promotion of a quasi-communal economy, and its condemnation of capitalism and the free market. Triumph, which never had more than a few thousand subscribers, finally sputtered to a halt in the mid-1970s, after which Bozell’s mental and financial troubles all but incapacitated him. He spent the last years of his life performing Catholic charitable work and regained some measure of internal peace before dying from pneumonia at age seventy-one.

Thanks for the link Jacob.
Well, old-timers here may roll their eyes. (Sorry, Cetil  :)) Because I'm reviving my own personal favourite of the threads I created - with its RIDICULOUSLY provocative title …

The first part of the title is explained by one of the most bizarre things I ever found on the internet. As I explained at the start of this thread, years ago ...

(11-18-2010, 10:25 AM)Roger Buck Wrote: [ -> ]I am haunted by something. I am haunted by a place I have never been to and likely never will ...

I am haunted because of an incredibly odious horrible article on the internet that , I hesitate to link to.

It is called:  Who is snuffing your neighbour's kittens?

Link here: http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2002/29...kttns.html

It is surreal - a paranoid, absurd piece of garbage attacking Christendom College and the Seton schools etc in Virginia

Please note I say this. It appears to me as a really quite horrible piece springing from what I cannot help but imagine as a kind of American Masonic stream

The article is beyond belief indulging in continuous juvenile name calling ... calling the Catholics involved everything from "fascist" to "silly goose" ... again and again

But there is the old proverb - where there is smoke there is FIRE

And paradoxically I wonder if this thing points to a CATHOLIC FIRE in Virginia that is truly inspiring.

Clearly they have got this author worked up ... he clearly is threatened by them ...

The whole piece has captured me, somehow.

I am curious what others might think (If there has been a thread on this already, please someone tell me!)

I read it and said to my wife half-jestingly: Who are these people in Christendom and Virginia ... crypto-trads ...?

Because really Mr Kittens makes them sound rather different from the more mainstream image I had of this college.

And in contrast to Mr Kitten's intent, I find myself really wondering if here in Virginia, SOMETHING POWERFULLY GOOD is happening to defend and preserve the Tradition

But why revive this? And why is it my favourite thread?

Well, first, it's been 5 years. And I'm STILL haunted by this place I've never been to. It is the one single place in America I'd most like to visit (apart from my childhood home not seen in 30 years.)

Second, I repeatedly revived it in the past and every time I did I gleaned fascinating insights into the place. (Most especially thanks to Cetil.)

So I'm curious if anyone here has anything more to say … Very interested in **anything** anyone has to say about Christendom College …

Will also say that pursuing this interest has led to important things in my life, amongst which are the founding inspirations of the college, including Frederick Wilhelmsen (who actually appears in my book) and L. Brent Bozell whom I also commemorated in a very long piece here: http://corjesusacratissimum.org/2015/09/...ll-review/

Jacob may be interested in that link if he is still with us ...

Oh, and I apologise again for the very silly title of "Crypto-Trads". I have a silly streak which some of you may have seen emerged in my book (e.g. Professor Rigid Dorkins, King Salad Bowl etc.). Sometimes back in 2010 this silliness must have uncontrollably erupted in me. I'd do a different title today …

So grateful to hear anything about the College and/or Wilhelmsen, Bozell or Triumph …

Or indeed Mr Kittens and the real reasons behind his unforgettably bizarre article ...
As the new guy, this is the first I've seen this thread.  Regarding the article linked: What a crazy, wild-eyed, far out bunch of hippie garbage.
(01-22-2016, 05:46 AM)Roger Buck Wrote: [ -> ]Well, old-timers here may roll their eyes. (Sorry, Cetil  :)) Because I'm reviving my own personal favourite of the threads I created - with its RIDICULOUSLY provocative title …

The first part of the title is explained by one of the most bizarre things I ever found on the internet. As I explained at the start of this thread, years ago ...

(11-18-2010, 10:25 AM)Roger Buck Wrote: [ -> ]I am haunted by something. I am haunted by a place I have never been to and likely never will ...

I am haunted because of an incredibly odious horrible article on the internet that , I hesitate to link to.

It is called:  Who is snuffing your neighbour's kittens?

Link here: http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2002/29...kttns.html

It is surreal - a paranoid, absurd piece of garbage attacking Christendom College and the Seton schools etc in Virginia

Please note I say this. It appears to me as a really quite horrible piece springing from what I cannot help but imagine as a kind of American Masonic stream

The article is beyond belief indulging in continuous juvenile name calling ... calling the Catholics involved everything from "fascist" to "silly goose" ... again and again

But there is the old proverb - where there is smoke there is FIRE

And paradoxically I wonder if this thing points to a CATHOLIC FIRE in Virginia that is truly inspiring.

Clearly they have got this author worked up ... he clearly is threatened by them ...

The whole piece has captured me, somehow.

I am curious what others might think (If there has been a thread on this already, please someone tell me!)

I read it and said to my wife half-jestingly: Who are these people in Christendom and Virginia ... crypto-trads ...?

Because really Mr Kittens makes them sound rather different from the more mainstream image I had of this college.

And in contrast to Mr Kitten's intent, I find myself really wondering if here in Virginia, SOMETHING POWERFULLY GOOD is happening to defend and preserve the Tradition

But why revive this? And why is it my favourite thread?

Well, first, it's been 5 years. And I'm STILL haunted by this place I've never been to. It is the one single place in America I'd most like to visit (apart from my childhood home not seen in 30 years.)

Second, I repeatedly revived it in the past and every time I did I gleaned fascinating insights into the place. (Most especially thanks to Cetil.)

So I'm curious if anyone here has anything more to say … Very interested in **anything** anyone has to say about Christendom College …

Will also say that pursuing this interest has led to important things in my life, amongst which are the founding inspirations of the college, including Frederick Wilhelmsen (who actually appears in my book) and L. Brent Bozell whom I also commemorated in a very long piece here: http://corjesusacratissimum.org/2015/09/...ll-review/

Jacob may be interested in that link if he is still with us ...

Oh, and I apologise again for the very silly title of "Crypto-Trads". I have a silly streak which some of you may have seen emerged in my book (e.g. Professor Rigid Dorkins, King Salad Bowl etc.). Sometimes back in 2010 this silliness must have uncontrollably erupted in me. I'd do a different title today …

So grateful to hear anything about the College and/or Wilhelmsen, Bozell or Triumph …

Or indeed Mr Kittens and the real reasons behind his unforgettably bizarre article ...

Hi Roger,
First let me say Congrats! on the book! Haven't read it yet but it sure is on my list. I keep seeing reviews and kudos for it throughout the "Crypto trad" world, ha ha. OK this thread has stuck in my mind sometimes and I was thinking about it recently. It did occur to me to mention Father Mark Pilon of the Arlington diocese as a source to contact regarding Triumph. He was quite involved with it at one point. The other thing I just noticed today is that there was a history of Triumph written by Mark Popowski. Can't remember if it came up in this thread or not before, but it looks like a comprehensive and sympathetic view of Triumph: " For decades I've heard people remark that someone would eventually write the story of TRIUMPH and the Christian Commonwealth Institutes. I am glad it turned out to be Dr. Mark Popowski. His study is extremely well researched, and he has placed TRIUMPH and its editors into historical context very well. (Dr. Alexandra Wilhelmsen, University of Dallas)

In this fascinating, well-written and provocative book Mark Popowski views Triumph and its supporters, "the Christian tribe," through sympathetic eyes. He shares their enthusiasm for a Catholicism that was both deeply traditional and daringly radical. On balance, he believes that they offered the right answers to the painful questions dividing America in the era of Vietnam, Watergate, the sexual revolution, and Roe v. Wade. (Patrick Allitt, Emory University)

Mark Popowski has reminded us that the conservative movement was a house of many mansions. His discussion of the Catholic traditionalist movement and its journal Triumph is an important contribution to our understanding of the development of a conservative movement outside of the typical framework of electoral politics and the rise of the Right to political power. (Gregory L. Schneider, Emporia State University)
http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Fall-Triumph-Catholic-1966-1976/dp/0739169815/ref=la_B005NEKOZE_1_1_twi_har_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1453506552&sr=1-1
A couple of responses …
First ...
(01-22-2016, 12:20 PM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: [ -> ]As the new guy, this is the first I've seen this thread.  Regarding the article linked: What a crazy, wild-eyed, far out bunch of hippie garbage.

Crazy, yes, but what I find so down right weird about it is, is that it does not appear to me to be a hippie who wrote it after a bad acid trip …

Honestly, it looks more Masonic in provenance to me and it took months, maybe even years, of detailed research - plus insanity - to meticulously construct. Why anyone would make so much effort to painstakingly write such a ludicrous piece is beyond me, except that he is obviously SCARED of what's happening in the Arlington diocese of Northern Virginia (which incidentally Rorate Caeli once described as among the three most important dioceses in the world in terms of TLM.

And Cetil, thank you for your kind words and pointing me to Father Pilon, whom I did not know of. One day I hope to get to Arlington ...

The book, however, I do know of. Jacob pointed me to it. It is _incredible_. Alas, it costs a small fortune … had to beg my wife to buy a copy. But it is one of the most precious books I own that I read and re-read. I have a long review in the works which I'll eventually post.

(01-23-2016, 05:18 AM)Roger Buck Wrote: [ -> ]A couple of responses …
First ...
(01-22-2016, 12:20 PM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: [ -> ]As the new guy, this is the first I've seen this thread.  Regarding the article linked: What a crazy, wild-eyed, far out bunch of hippie garbage.

Crazy, yes, but what I find so down right weird about it is, is that it does not appear to me to be a hippie who wrote it after a bad acid trip …

Honestly, it looks more Masonic in provenance to me and it took months, maybe even years, of detailed research - plus insanity - to meticulously construct. Why anyone would make so much effort to painstakingly write such a ludicrous piece is beyond me, except that he is obviously SCARED of what's happening in the Arlington diocese of Northern Virginia (which incidentally Rorate Caeli once described as among the three most important dioceses in the world in terms of TLM.

And Cetil, thank you for your kind words and pointing me to Father Pilon, whom I did not know of. One day I hope to get to Arlington ...

The book, however, I do know of. Jacob pointed me to it. It is _incredible_. Alas, it costs a small fortune … had to beg my wife to buy a copy. But it is one of the most precious books I own that I read and re-read. I have a long review in the works which I'll eventually post.

Hi Roger,
    I just wanted to point you to Father Pilon's blog : https://littlemoretracts.wordpress.com/

C.
(01-23-2016, 05:18 AM)Roger Buck Wrote: [ -> ]The book, however, I do know of. Jacob pointed me to it. It is _incredible_. Alas, it costs a small fortune … had to beg my wife to buy a copy. But it is one of the most precious books I own that I read and re-read. I have a long review in the works which I'll eventually post.

Roger, I'm glad you picked up the Popowski book.  It is a truly informative read, far more so than the Kelly biography that definitely has a slant to it.  I read somewhere a few years ago that Popowski said his next project was a bio of Wilhelmsen, so maybe be on the lookout for that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11