FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Who is snuffing your neighbour's kittens? (Crypto-Trads at Christendom College?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Treating adults like children, or rather, like criminals, is going to cause a lot more problems than it solves. I would never even have considered a school like that when I was eighteen. I went to a liberal public school, lived at home, avoided hedonistic people because I wanted to avoid them, and kept my faith. The stupidest mistake I made in college was getting into a relationship with a trad guy.  :laughing: It's absurd to lock people up and give them a bedtime in the hopes that that will have some kind of positive effect.
Sounds a lot like the military.  They come through unannounced for "Health & Welfare" checks.  Don't get caught with postage stamps out on your desk...those should be locked up.  And make sure your bunk is made, your trash can has been emptied, and your armoire is locked (with a padlock).

At least at Christendom they don't tell you how to fold your clothes...or how to arrange the one drawer assigned to you as "Personal"...or tell you what color your underwear can be.
(11-19-2010, 09:26 AM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2010, 12:18 AM)Beware_the_Ides Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-18-2010, 11:36 AM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]We're next door in Maryland (Archdiocese of Wash) and Virginia feels like a whole other country compared to us, frankly. Lots of TLMs there, not one new TLM in ADW since SP, but it seems like new ones are springing up all the time in Northern VA. We use Seton HS here and we love it. I tried Kolbe last year and wasn't too sold on it. We're planning to use Seton throughout high school.

I'm curious as to what makes you feel that way.   ???
Stark differences in the dioceses relating to traditional or conservative practices, that's all--that are made more apparent being next-door neighbors. Night and day, it seems. It certainly affects the (Catholic) culture.

This is all very, very, very interesting ... Such profound difference, apparently ....

I am intrigued and grateful for all this, including this Restituo

(11-18-2010, 11:11 AM)Restituo Wrote: [ -> ]The Diocese of Arlington, Virginia has at least 14 parishes that offer the Latin Mass. I currently live in this diocese.  :)

-Restituo

At least 14 TLM's does seem a lot .... compared to hardly any interest in the neighbouring diocese

And again George T says

(11-18-2010, 11:51 PM)GeorgeT Wrote:Haha. This article is a parody of itself.

Front Royal is a neat place. The Catholic church these has the TLM every day, processions through the streets. When it has the NO it's ad orientum. Really neat Catholic town. We were thinking of moving there at one point. Visited there over the summer. When I first visited there, I decided to try to be a real Catholic for the first time in my life. Haven't stopped since. That place bleeds graces.

A life changing place apparently ...

What does this tell us for the future of the Church?

What I mean is - there are at least 2 dimensions here

One: is the Arlington diocese in itself. Very very interesting in its own right

Two: is the future of the Catholic tradition, can a diocese be transformed by a groupof people so it becomes a place where more and more are drawn to the tradition and indeed find their lives changed.

I am really grateful to everyone ...
(11-19-2010, 01:14 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]The article, while ridiculous, is founded on some problems that are found in the trad movement.  One that glares at you is the claim that the US Constitution is not Christian...or is doomed to fail because it is not "Catholic".

There are complex things here Scipio ...

And I am neither going to agree with you nor disagree with you on this.

But I will observe that it is at least understandable that these positions would be "found in the trad movement" as you put it, given that they are consistent with Catholic Tradition in the past, what previous Popes have declared.

But I am not arguing. I am only saying it is understandable.

(11-19-2010, 01:14 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]Another glaring problem it the theocracy advocates...all lovers of liberty should be saddened by them...and they...if they actually had any power, would be a threat...as it is many of them do not vote and they have no paower...so while misguided...they are not really an issue...just a sad side show in this vale...

Comment: the article is so crazy, I don't know how much it can be trusted.

However it was the precisely these kind of comments which prompted my (silly) expression "Crypto-Trads" ...

Because IF there is substantial truth here (??), then some people connected to Christendom's origins would seem to have a very traditionalist orientation ...

going back to the Carlists ...

How true is it I wonder?

The article references a number of authors whom I have never read (and am now very keen to!)

Warren Carroll, his wife Anne Carroll, Frederick Wilhelmsen and L. Brent Bozell ...

Are these traditionalist, even theocratic authors?

Any views I would be grateful for ... thank you!
I live in the Diocese of Arlington as well and there are new TLM's popping up on a monthly basis it seems. My home parish recently started offering the TLM on Thursday evenings and I wouldn't be surprised if the parish starts offering the TLM on Sundays because of the attendance on Thursdays. In fact, the new pastor of the parish was just reassigned from Christendom College and he is very conservative.

I've also discovered two parishes that offer the Latin NO Mass every Sunday. I have not been to one myself, but I hear that they are both celebrated ad orientem.

I can't comment on the Front Royal area or the article as I've never been there. Some of my Knights of Columbus friends, however, have joked that I should move to Front Royal since I'm so conservative/traditional. I might look into it!
(11-19-2010, 06:40 AM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]Is Christendom College accredited?

I believe so.
(11-19-2010, 11:48 AM)Pilgrim Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2010, 06:40 AM)Satori Wrote: [ -> ]Is Christendom College accredited?

I believe so.

Absolutely yes. It's fully accredited.

C.
(11-19-2010, 10:43 AM)Roger Buck Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2010, 01:14 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]The article, while ridiculous, is founded on some problems that are found in the trad movement.  One that glares at you is the claim that the US Constitution is not Christian...or is doomed to fail because it is not "Catholic".

There are complex things here Scipio ...

And I am neither going to agree with you nor disagree with you on this.

But I will observe that it is at least understandable that these positions would be "found in the trad movement" as you put it, given that they are consistent with Catholic Tradition in the past, what previous Popes have declared.

But I am not arguing. I am only saying it is understandable.

(11-19-2010, 01:14 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]Another glaring problem it the theocracy advocates...all lovers of liberty should be saddened by them...and they...if they actually had any power, would be a threat...as it is many of them do not vote and they have no paower...so while misguided...they are not really an issue...just a sad side show in this vale...

Comment: the article is so crazy, I don't know how much it can be trusted.

However it was the precisely these kind of comments which prompted my (silly) expression "Crypto-Trads" ...

Because IF there is substantial truth here (??), then some people connected to Christendom's origins would seem to have a very traditionalist orientation ...

going back to the Carlists ...

How true is it I wonder?

The article references a number of authors whom I have never read (and am now very keen to!)

Warren Carroll, his wife Anne Carroll, Frederick Wilhelmsen and L. Brent Bozell ...

Are these traditionalist, even theocratic authors?

Any views I would be grateful for ... thank you!

I would argue that the US Constitution is largely based on ideas of the "Enlightenment" and thus flawed. John Adams once said: "We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other". That's definitely something to keep in mind.
Warren Carroll is a traditional Catholic, a convert who worked and sweated unbelievably to found Christendom College and keep it going despite many obstacles. He has written several very good books such as "Red Banners, White Mantle" (about the Russian revolution and Fatima) and more besides on traditional Catholic history. Dr. Carroll is very influenced by Spanish Catholicism and is kind of a monarchist but realizes its limits and that it would not work everywhere. He is definitely a supporter of the Carlists but only because he considered them the most authentic Catholics of the various contenders for the Spanish throne. Anne Carroll founded Seton High School in Manassas Virginia and is a fine Catholic too. She is also the founder of Seton Home Study. Frederick Wilhelmsen was a philosophy professor at the University of Dallas and a Thomist. L. Brent Bozell is a conservative political commentator, I'm not sure if he's still around but is also a trad. Catholic. Dr. Carroll accepts the authority of the Catholic church as does the college itself. Are they theocratics? I think most trad Catholics would prefer to live in a state that confessed the Catholic faith. But I don't think anyone at Christendom would try to impose such a thing by force.

C.
don't argue with ice cream in your mouth
As to the Arlington diocese it has always been a more traditional place and was kept so by Bishop Thomas Welsh and his successor Bishop Keating. It has always been one of the fastest growing dioceses in the USA and is actually building parishes and schools instead of closing them. It just shows how traditional Catholicism can really flourish if given a chance. Between 1995 and 2005 the Catholic population of the diocese grew 42%. Parishes in Arlington typically have two and sometimes three priests in residence. No vocations crisis here.
"Liberal" policies in other dioceses is why they are crumbling and lack for vocations. God is not stupid, He will not call men into seminaries where they will lose their faith.

C.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11