FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Who is snuffing your neighbour's kittens? (Crypto-Trads at Christendom College?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Before getting to the topic, I would just like to say I have missed this forum. And I apologise to Mhoram and anyone else I did not reply to. An itinerant existence over three different countries makes anything except my own blog and site difficult to attend to at present.

But I break my silence at last ...

I am haunted by something. I am haunted by a place I have never been to and likely never will ...

I am haunted because of an incredibly odious horrible article on the internet that , I hesitate to link to.

It is called:  Who is snuffing your neighbour's kittens?.

Link here: http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2002/29...kttns.html

It is surreal - a paranoid, absurd piece of garbage attacking Christendom College and the Seton schools etc in Virginia

Please note I say this. It appears to me as a really quite horrible piece springing from what I cannot help but imagine as a kind of American Masonic stream

The article is beyond belief indulging in continuous juvenile name calling ... calling the Catholics involved everything from "fascist" to "silly goose" ... again and again

But there is the old proverb - where there is smoke there is FIRE

And paradoxically I wonder if this thing points to a CATHOLIC FIRE in Virginia that is truly inspiring.

Clearly they have got this author worked up ... he clearly is threatened by them ...

The whole piece has captured me, somehow.

I am curious what others might think (If there has been a thread on this already, please someone tell me!)

I read it and said to my wife half-jestingly: Who are these people in Christendom and Virginia ... crypto-trads ...?

Because really Mr Kittens makes them sound rather different from the more mainstream image I had of this college.

And in contrast to Mr Kitten's intent, I find myself really wondering if here in Virginia, SOMETHING POWERFULLY GOOD is happening to defend and preserve the Tradition

Again I have hesitated to post this link. I do not want to join in further defaming good people in Virginia.

But I don't think anyone here will be duped. Strangely enough, it might inspire some folk here.

I am curious to know what anyone has to say about

1) This piece itself

2) Christendom College. More Traditionalist than I realised?

3) Seton Home schools

4) Anything else related to a possibly inspiring movement in Virginia to defend the Faith

I feel like repeating myself:

I am haunted by something. I am haunted by a place I have never been to and likely never will ...

I want to know more ...

I nearly went to Christendom but I heard from several of the students that it had some major drawbacks and for me the drawbacks outweighed the advantages. I still think its a good school though.
(11-18-2010, 10:43 AM)Bearded Man Wrote: [ -> ]I nearly went to Christendom but I heard from several of the students that it had some major drawbacks and for me the drawbacks outweighed the advantages. I still think its a good school though.

What drawbacks?  I have a former student and a good friend who went to Christendom...
Thank you, bearded man!

If memory serves correctly - and it might not!!

I think you might be a young Irish American here who once did a post asking what people thought the "battle plan" was for the future in restoring the tradition.

IF I have you right in my memory, I rather liked your spirit. Some said all one could do was pray etc.

This is certainly some people's vocation. But if that were the only correct answer there would have been no need for the Society of Jesus as it once was ...

My point is that a certain FIRE is needed. If I recall you correctly (??) I felt such fire, which makes your attraction to Christendom all the more interesting.

I guess you cannot elaborate on what you mean in bold by major ... but it would interest
The Diocese of Arlington, Virginia has at least 14 parishes that offer the Latin Mass. I currently live in this diocese.  :)

-Restituo
(11-18-2010, 10:56 AM)Pilgrim Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-18-2010, 10:43 AM)Bearded Man Wrote: [ -> ]I nearly went to Christendom but I heard from several of the students that it had some major drawbacks and for me the drawbacks outweighed the advantages. I still think its a good school though.

What drawbacks?  I have a former student and a good friend who went to Christendom...

I'll just lay out what I gathered.

Negative Aspects: Strict. The college seems to treat students like children who are really not capable of making good moral decisions. Room checks, curfew until you are 21, a long list of excessive and pointless rules. Some students call it "Prisondome" Overall very controlling. There seems to be very little to do in the surrounding area as well. At least when I was looking into it the dorms were horrible.

For me that was just too much.

Positive Aspects: Fantastic Academics! Rigorous Catholic liberal arts education. You will be placed in a truly Catholic culture which is hard to find. The thing that really drew me to the school was the emphasis on the Humanities which I excel in. Small classes. Good professors. Tridentine Mass. You can grow in your Faith by going to this school that's for sure.

It just wasn't for me. Far too strict and I wanted to have more literature courses.

(11-18-2010, 10:58 AM)Roger Buck Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you, bearded man!

If memory serves correctly - and it might not!!

I think you might be a young Irish American here who once did a post asking what people thought the "battle plan" was for the future in restoring the tradition.

IF I have you right in my memory, I rather liked your spirit. Some said all one could do was pray etc.

This is certainly some people's vocation. But if that were the only correct answer there would have been no need for the Society of Jesus as it once was ...

My point is that a certain FIRE is needed. If I recall you correctly (??) I felt such fire, which makes your attraction to Christendom all the more interesting.

I guess you cannot elaborate on what you mean in bold by major ... but it would interest

Yeah that was me, man that was a long time ago I'm surprised you still remember!
Bearded Man,

I see what you mean about the strictness.  However, some students see that as a blessing rather than a curse.  Sadly, most eighteen year olds in our society cannot be considered adults...
We're next door in Maryland (Archdiocese of Wash) and Virginia feels like a whole other country compared to us, frankly. Lots of TLMs there, not one new TLM in ADW since SP, but it seems like new ones are springing up all the time in Northern VA. We use Seton HS here and we love it. I tried Kolbe last year and wasn't too sold on it. We're planning to use Seton throughout high school.
(11-18-2010, 11:36 AM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: [ -> ]it seems like new ones are springing up all the time in Northern VA.

Wow! Maybe this is what Mr Kittens is so worried about ...

Thank you also Bearded Man for clarifying ...

All very interesting ...
(11-18-2010, 11:11 AM)Restituo Wrote: [ -> ]The Diocese of Arlington, Virginia has at least 14 parishes that offer the Latin Mass. I currently live in this diocese.  :)

-Restituo

Very, very interesting, Restituo. Thank you for replying like this. I am interested that you are actually  living in this diocese!  What impact do you think the activities in Front Royal have had over the years? Are they connected to the prevalence of TLM there?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11