FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Need to learn to serve Mass by this Sunday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This Sunday, we will for the first time have a Mass at a new location, at 10:00. This is great news, as we usually get the 5:30, 6:30, or later time slots in the afternoon. Also, since it was in the afternoon, servers and us cantors would easily e able to make it, as it would be past te first Masses some of us have in the morning. Anyways, given this new Mass, none of the regular servers will apparently be able to serve, due to other commitments. I have always sang/chanted when the opportunity arises, so even though I really want to learn how to serve, and even want to say this Mass one day in the future, God willing, I was never technically taught. I know the responses, and I would just have to work on the suscipiat and a couple of other prayers at the foot of the altar, but if Father is not able to bring a server with him, I will need to get serving down packed by this Sunday. If Father does bring a server, which he probably will, I'll sing. I need to learn how to serve anyways, especially since I'm discerning the vocation, and the fact that I should know how to do it. I probably will meet up with one of the guys who serves on Saturday for a training session. Is there any advice and tips you can give me? I would say right now, I'm 40% ready to serve. I know most responses, have served countless times for a priest in the NO but who als says a weekly TLM, and I know the basics as far as genuflecting, crusts, etc.
Here is one resource:
http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/serving/ho...ss-01.html

And best of luck.  Smile
It's ok to have cheat sheets.
I always tell the younger altarboys this before they serve their first mass "Do whatever the priest tells you".
I had no-one to teach me so I learnt from a book, and put sticky notes in my missal to indicate the cues where I need to do things.  I still have them there in case my mind goes blank.  LOL  If you have all the cues written down, it's pretty hard to bugger things up too much.  Based on the mistakes I made most frequently, my tips are:

At the Orate Fratres, wait until the priest is facing the altar and has finished praying in a low voice before you respond.
Be vigilant at watching for the priest to put his hands over the chalice at the Hanc Igitur.  Ring the bell after he takes his hands away, then proceed to the consecration.
Check beforehand to see what is going to be said at the Mass - is there a Gloria/Credo; is it a requiem (at which some of the prayers at the foot of the altar are left out) etc.
Remember to say the Confiteor a second time, just after the priest drinks from the chalice.

Good luck!  You’ll be fine!  Smile
Thanks everyone for the advice!
1) Keep your hands together, thumbs crossed at all times - no cheating.

2) Place hands on each knee when sitting - and keep them there!

3) Left hand over right breast when holding the cruet, patten etc

4) Genuflect silently - no banging bounce off the floor!

5) Pay attention for the priest to touch the altar at the end of the Epistle before saying Deo Gratias

Just let the priest know you might need a little help - then do what he tells you.........even so, if you do make a few mistakes, at least you'll look good making them  LOL

(11-22-2010, 09:01 PM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]3) Left hand over right breast when holding the cruet, patten etc

Huh? I can't think of any point at which you only handle one cruet at a time, except at the Lavabo - but then you need to have your arm down for the priest to take the towel.

Oh, and never put the communion paten on the floor!  That was one of my early mistakes - it's the only time I've ever been growled at for stuffing up!  LOL
(11-22-2010, 09:07 PM)paragon Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2010, 09:01 PM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]3) Left hand over right breast when holding the cruet, patten etc

Huh? I can't think of any point at which you only handle one cruet at a time, except at the Lavabo - but then you need to have your arm down for the priest to take the towel.

You briefly handle one cruet at a time when you present them to the priest at the beginning of the Offertory. First you give him the cruet with the wine, after kissing it, then the one with water. While he's pouring the wine and afterwards, the water, you have just one cruet in your hand (the right one) so the other hand (the left one) should be over your breast.

The same thing happens when you ring the bells. Your right hand rings the bells and your left hand rests over your breast. The same thing when you hold the patten for the communicants, etc.

The rule here is that your hands should either be folded in prayer or holding the sacred objects but never left hanging there, idle. It's not dignified. The default position for the idle hand is over the breast.
I always just held my hand out waiting for him to replace the cruet.  I'll remember that next time.
Pages: 1 2