FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Popes new book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am just curious with all the hoopla over the condom thing, communion in the hand being just peachy, the Church shouldn't pray for the Jews in a missionary sense and other things how many people plan on reading The light of the World? I may actually get it just to see how modernist it truly is.
Not I.  I don't see why any traditionalists would when there are already far more trustworthy, less ambiguous responses to all the matters discussed written by orthodox popes.
I will probably read it, because I'm interested in what he really said, and I'm interested to know where he stands. He is the Pope, like him or not, and I think it's important to know his views. However, I am looking forward much more to his other book, "Jesus of Nazareth, Part 2".
(11-22-2010, 09:36 PM)Grasshopper Wrote: [ -> ]He is the Pope, like him or not, and I think it's important to know his views.

If he is the pope, then presumably his views are those of the Catholic Church.
(11-22-2010, 09:38 PM)paragon Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2010, 09:36 PM)Grasshopper Wrote: [ -> ]He is the Pope, like him or not, and I think it's important to know his views.

If he is the pope, then presumably his views are those of the Catholic Church.

No. He is the Pope, not God.
No?  His views are not that of the Catholic Church?  Fair enough then.
(11-22-2010, 09:45 PM)paragon Wrote: [ -> ]No?  His views are not that of the Catholic Church?  Fair enough then.

His views haven't been Catholic since at least the mid 1950's he was on a list of men who needed to be watched for their heretical leanings compiled by the Holy office under a real Catholic Pope Pius XII.
Baskerville, so you believe a non-Catholic can be the pope?  Huh?
Paragon, I think it's in the sense that the church is in crisis and the Pope is not reacting effectively because he's bogged down by misdirected views... Akin to the situation at the time of Martin Luther, the church had in many ways grown corrupt and forgot the essentials and the Tridentine council cleared things up. Folks are hoping for that sort of leadership from the Pope but not getting it. Huge amounts of Catholics don't believe in transubstantiation and maybe 90% disagree with the church's stance on birth control but contraception = mortal sin.

Trads propose that the solution is a return to the TLM and especially to the theology that undergirds it... That instead of solving a supposed crisis, Vatican II unleashed a crisis that has yet to be contained. 
No argument at all, B - I'm just confused by the opinion that he can be a non-Catholic and still be the pope.  If he's a non-Catholic, he's not the pope - and if he is the pope he is a Catholic.
Pages: 1 2