FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Ever stop praying for family and friends?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I was just reading that interesting thread on how people deal with their heretic families.  But then, I figured one better to ask. 

Have you ever just stopped praying for people you know?  Friends?  Family?  Seriously.  I'll be the guy who asks it.  And the guy who admits it.

For example, I've stopped praying for many members of my family.  Why should I be afraid to admit this, since they reject my "type" of prayers, anyway?  Also, I'll note that several decades of prayers and no signs of any change whatsoever also led me to this spot.  I've been this way in regards to family for a few years, now.  Gambling and pleasures seem their only aim in this world. 

I might pray every now and then for someone, but the enthusiasm is all deflated out of me.

Friends--same thing.

Someone looks like they're a bit interested in listening to something, I might start telling them about Catholic life.  I might pray for them after the conversation.  But such conversations occur once every two years.

It's quite difficult to hold anymore hope for people hellbent on.....well, Hell.

Possibly a good strategy is to write down the names of all those in your intentions, and especially those you aren't thrilled with praying for.  Then put them in a folder and make your intentions known for those in the folder when you pray.  It separates you emotionally from the task at hand. 
(11-28-2010, 01:46 PM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]Possibly a good strategy is to write down the names of all those in your intentions, and especially those you aren't thrilled with praying for.   Then put them in a folder and make your intentions known for those in the folder when you pray.  It separates you emotionally from the task at hand. 

Interesting, and important.  You're right.  It does not require pure emotion to pray for someone.  Your direction sounds like a good idea.
Coincidentally, I had a list like that for my dead friends and relatives. It ran out of space, and I'm trained to letter and can write very small, so, I asked the Lord through Our Lady to keep the list and I would add them one at a time. Simultaneously I made the consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Now I concentrate on praying and I leave the rest in their hands cum hearts. It gives me some objectivity, so when they get me good and ticked off, I'm not skipping them because I want to punish them. It removes a temptation for me to get even. I heard a priest say once that he did something similar.
tim                         
I think I am going to do this. I will also light candles for them too. I feel like I have to mention them all name by name to God, but that might be offending Our Lord by not trusting in His knowledge of what I am praying for before I even ask.
(11-28-2010, 03:06 PM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Coincidentally, I had a list like that for my dead friends and relatives. It ran out of space, and I'm trained to letter and can write very small, so, I asked the Lord through Our Lady to keep the list and I would add them one at a time. Simultaneously I made the consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Now I concentrate on praying and I leave the rest in their hands cum hearts. It gives me some objectivity, so when they get me good and ticked off, I'm not skipping them because I want to punish them. It removes a temptation for me to get even. I heard a priest say once that he did something similar.
tim                           
oh, that is very nice
I pray for all friends, family, and foes by asking God to take care of all who are written on my heart, for whatever reason.  Hope it works since I can't always remember everybody, especially at Mass.
Well... I say Dont stop; The time is "the time of god", and we will never be able to know the deeper of those people we love, but we belive "lost".  Only God knows the persons hart.... Consecuences of our pray in the economy of grace are a mystery..Maybe they will get the final penitence, maybe they will become good christians ... maybe they will go to hell.... We dont know but is our duty pray for all of whom we have recibe something (friendship, help, our lives)... The list idea is excelent, is like my confesor says "only a little movement of the hart is suficient for God", I don't remember everyone everytime but I always try to remember all my "bienechores" (benefactors?) that include from my mom's OBG to the priest who gave me the comunion yesterday... And that's it.
Don't stop, only in heaven we will know all the consecuences of our petit actions.

Pax et bonum
(11-28-2010, 01:58 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-28-2010, 01:46 PM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]Possibly a good strategy is to write down the names of all those in your intentions, and especially those you aren't thrilled with praying for.   Then put them in a folder and make your intentions known for those in the folder when you pray.  It separates you emotionally from the task at hand. 

Interesting, and important.  You're right.  It does not require pure emotion to pray for someone.  Your direction sounds like a good idea.

A good idea indeed.
I have a list of family and friends who have passed on as well. It helps me not forget anyone. It's especially handy during the month of Nov. I don't always pray them by name though, I just mention a few very close to me then "the deceased list".

For the living, I still pray for them, but mainly in terms of  "family, friends and benefactors". God knows who they are. I certainly don't have the same intensity of feeling when praying for them as I did 10-20 years ago, but the intention of praying for their conversion is still there.

FE is on the list too as the "FE oratory".  Smile