FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Santa and loss of Faith
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
This has been bothering me recently.  I remember some time ago it seems how it was said when I lil one learns of Santa's non existance it can shake their faith, the same goes for the Easter bunny.  I hope that my sister and bro in law will actually teach my neices of Saint Nicholas, so that they might know that there is a real basis for Santa.  I doubt that will happen since they are protestants. 
I was telling my parents this last year.  If I have kids I will not teach them about Santa in the popular sense.
Make sure not to teach them any other fairy tales either...in fact, while you're at it...why not just drain all the joy out of childhood...make sure to only acquaint your children with cold, hard facts.  Then, you can be surrounded by grumpy, old Ebenezer Scrooges instead of happy, delighted children.

You won't have a problem if you don't play up Santa as though it's the one great thing to look forward to about Christmas.  But robbing kids of their fantasies...lighthearted ones, like Santa...is just mean.
(11-30-2010, 12:28 AM)Underdog Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure not to teach them any other fairy tales either...in fact, while you're at it...why not just drain all the joy out of childhood...make sure to only acquaint your children with cold, hard facts.  Then, you can be surrounded by grumpy, old Ebenezer Scrooges instead of happy, delighted children.

You won't have a problem if you don't play up Santa as though it's the one great thing to look forward to about Christmas.  But robbing kids of their fantasies...lighthearted ones, like Santa...is just mean.

Yes, raise your children on lies.  That's great parenting.  "Mommy, if Santa doesn't really jump down the chimney to leave us elven-made toys, and a fairy doesn't really come to take our teeth to make piano keys, how do we know that Jesus is God and watches over us?"
(11-30-2010, 12:32 AM)dark lancer Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2010, 12:28 AM)Underdog Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure not to teach them any other fairy tales either...in fact, while you're at it...why not just drain all the joy out of childhood...make sure to only acquaint your children with cold, hard facts.  Then, you can be surrounded by grumpy, old Ebenezer Scrooges instead of happy, delighted children.

Yes, raise your children on lies.  That's great parenting.  "Mommy, if Santa doesn't really jump down the chimney to leave us elven-made toys, and a fairy doesn't really come to take our teeth to make piano keys, how do we know that Jesus is God and watches over us?"

That is my exact worry.  I also found out that my bro in law was the one that did the 8yo's Baptism  :o.  He is not any kind of minister.  I don't think they took a video so I have no clue if it was even a valid Baptism. Pray
The mysteries of our faith transcend human comprehension.  Why confuse children with the truth and with fantasy?

Telling a fictitious story is fine if you make it clear that it is not a true story.  Letting children pretend is fine.

But raising them on lies and truth about matters of faith is wrong.
Can't be that solid a faith if learning about Santa can shake it.
Besides, it's not a lie: Santa exists. In heaven, aka St Nicholas, and he does bring presents through the parents that buy them. After all, when God performs a miracle, we don't carp if he chooses a human instrument. Why should it be any different with St Nick?
(11-30-2010, 12:42 AM)Anastasia Wrote: [ -> ]Can't be that solid a faith if learning about Santa can shake it.
Besides, it's not a lie: Santa exists. In heaven, aka St Nicholas, and he does bring presents through the parents that buy them. After all, when God performs a miracle, we don't carp if he chooses a human instrument. Why should it be any different with St Nick?

Why not teach about the real Saint Nicholas so as to avoid confusion with a fairy tale?

If you want to give gifts at Christmas, don't lie about where they came from.  Just say that it is a tradition to give gifts on Christmas.
Again, IT"S NOT A LIE. Just as God uses human instruments, parents are the human instruments of St Nicholas' gift giving.
(11-30-2010, 01:04 AM)Anastasia Wrote: [ -> ]Again, IT"S NOT A LIE. Just as God uses human instruments, parents are the human instruments of St Nicholas' gift giving.

So does Saint Nicholas ride a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer to jump down chimneys and deliver toys made by elves?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5