FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Praying while tired vs. praying while awake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A brief discussion on FE chat last night made me wonder about which is better when someone has the option to do either: praying something (the Rosary for example) while fully awake to avoid rushing due to fatigue, or intentionally waiting to pray when really tired so as to be able to mortify oneself by persevering to pray through the body's desire for sleep.

When I first started praying a chaplet of the Rosary daily, I often procrastinated throughout the day and inevitably prayed it just before bed, sometimes when really tired; this wasn't due to me wanting to mortify myself, but rather because I simply procrastinated.  I wouldn't fall asleep because I usually knelt.  I since got into the practice of praying it at midday, usually right before or after Nona so that I could pray while fully alert and awake and without finding myself trying to rush through.
This is just my opinion but I don't really think it matters as long as you pray.

Pray when you are more able to lift your heart and mind to God.

(12-02-2010, 11:26 PM)GeorgeT Wrote:Is your ability to contemplate the mysteries the same under both circumstances? If it's better when you're more awake, maybe that would take the place of the mortification you offer when you're tired. It would even out, maybe.

I agree that you should pray at whatever time it is that you are most able to focus on the mysteries.

Thats my opinion.
Pray always, don't put a stumbling block in your way. I saw some sisters once that worked feeding the hungry in America, and the sisters while chopping vegetables, sauteing them, making bread etc., said the rosary as the worked. Ore et Labore

tim
If I try to pray the rosary in the morning, fully awake, it's hard for me to focus. If I pray it at night, I'm sleepy, but am able to focus much better. I think it depends on the person.
(12-03-2010, 11:06 AM)timoose Wrote: [ -> ]Pray always...

tim

Good point, Tim. It is good to always pray. If we can't pray verbally, we can pray mentally.
I pray my rosary earlier in the day or I am certain I would not make it through the first decade!  I pray it on the way to Mass, after Mass, when walking the dog, etc.

Having said that, there is merit in praying even when very tired. At one time I lived in a place with an all night First Friday adoration and would stay all night. Also I have come at night to adoration when I could.  And many many times I would be so very tired and I would say to the Lord that all I had to offer was my time, effort, and tiredness.  We come to pray in love, feelings are secondary because this desire to love and to pray is in the will.

I remember a sermon of Fr. Altier's that I heard once and I will paraphrase.  There was someone who went to adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and it was a seemingly very fruitful time filled with good prayers and alertness and consolations and all of that. And the person was so happy to have this great time of prayer.  But Our Lord noted that the person was joyful because of the consolations primarily.  Another person came who was tired and dry in prayer and could hardly formulate a thought and apologized to the Lord for their lack of fervor. Yes Our Lord say the struggle to keep on loving Him when there was 'nothing' in it for the person and said that this was the best of all holy hours.

And speaking of tiredness and holy hours, I have been known to doze. I was comforted that St. Therese wrote that she would also fall asleep and felt terrible about it until she realized that a parent loves a child just as much when they are asleep as when they are awake.  Sometimes we rest in the Lord.
Unfortunately, I must be awake or I will fall asleep.  Even if kneeling---I'll tip over and wake up some unknown number of minutes later in a small puddle of spittle!   :laughing:  It has happened, indeed.  I'm one of those people who falls asleep very quickly, and one of those people who can fall asleep standing up, and even talk to others while sleeping.  So, no, personally, I make sure I'm not sleepy-headed when starting prayers!   :)

My mother actually instructed us when we were little to start to pray the Rosary if we had trouble sleeping at night, especially, of course, if the trouble in sleeping was due to stress or fear, or impatience for the coming of the next day (like Christmas!).  When I was little, I often did this, and usually didn't make it past the middle of the first Decade, so it worked at least for the purposes of calming me to sleep.  I think its a good thing to tell youngsters who are afraid of the dark, too, as well as to simply call on the Saints and Angels for company.

I've been wondering lately if it would be impious to pray while exercising, perhaps while on the treadmill, bicycle, or elliptical machine?  It takes me about 30 minutes to prayer 5 Decades of the Rosary, which is about the time one might be doing these exercises.  However, I think, "Well, if I'm just doing it to make the time go by faster, than it is a selfish sort of reason....", but on the other hand, I can also think that enduring the distraction (and perhaps pains!) of exercise while praying could actually be a very good experience.  Also, I know that some people are very honestly rather busy, and this could be a way of making the best use of the limited free time they have.  As it is, I have not yet tired to do this.  Perhaps I should just try, and report back.

Some exercises might be too distracting to pray while doing, at least for an accident-prone person like me, though perhaps with more experience I could master that.  Yes, my guardian angel deserves overtime with me, so at least one of the prayers will have to be in thanksgiving for my angel protecting me from dropping down weights on my own head!  It might be dangerous, for some exercises involving heavy weights.  But maybe I will try.  The more prayers, the better, right?  We need all the praying we can muster!
(12-03-2010, 05:03 PM)quotidianum Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, I must be awake or I will fall asleep.  Even if kneeling---I'll tip over and wake up some unknown number of minutes later in a small puddle of spittle!   :laughing:  It has happened, indeed.  I'm one of those people who falls asleep very quickly, and one of those people who can fall asleep standing up, and even talk to others while sleeping.  So, no, personally, I make sure I'm not sleepy-headed when starting prayers!   :)

My mother actually instructed us when we were little to start to pray the Rosary if we had trouble sleeping at night, especially, of course, if the trouble in sleeping was due to stress or fear, or impatience for the coming of the next day (like Christmas!).  When I was little, I often did this, and usually didn't make it past the middle of the first Decade, so it worked at least for the purposes of calming me to sleep.  I think its a good thing to tell youngsters who are afraid of the dark, too, as well as to simply call on the Saints and Angels for company.

I've been wondering lately if it would be impious to pray while exercising, perhaps while on the treadmill, bicycle, or elliptical machine?  It takes me about 30 minutes to prayer 5 Decades of the Rosary, which is about the time one might be doing these exercises.  However, I think, "Well, if I'm just doing it to make the time go by faster, than it is a selfish sort of reason....", but on the other hand, I can also think that enduring the distraction (and perhaps pains!) of exercise while praying could actually be a very good experience.  Also, I know that some people are very honestly rather busy, and this could be a way of making the best use of the limited free time they have.  As it is, I have not yet tired to do this.  Perhaps I should just try, and report back.

Some exercises might be too distracting to pray while doing, at least for an accident-prone person like me, though perhaps with more experience I could master that.  Yes, my guardian angel deserves overtime with me, so at least one of the prayers will have to be in thanksgiving for my angel protecting me from dropping down weights on my own head!  It might be dangerous, for some exercises involving heavy weights.  But maybe I will try.  The more prayers, the better, right?  We need all the praying we can muster!

From "The Secret of the Rosary" by St. Louis de Montfort:

"129 I would like to add that the Rosary ought to be said reverently, that is to say, it ought to be said as much as possible, kneeling, with hands joined, clasping the rosary. However, if you are ill, you can, of course, say it in bed; or if one is travelling it can be said while walking; if, on account of some infirmity, you cannot kneel you can say it standing or sitting. You can even say it while working if your duties do not allow you to leave your job, for work with one's hands is not always incompatible with vocal prayer. I agree that, since the soul has its limitations and can only do so much, when we are concentrating on manual work we are less attentive to the activities of the spirit, such as prayer. But when we cannot do otherwise, this kind of prayer is not without its value in our Lady's eyes, and she rewards our good- will more than our exterior actions."
Whenever I really cannot fall asleep, I pull out the rosary.  I either make good use of the time that insomnia has a hold of me or I let the angels finish it off for me as my mind becomes emptied of the days worries.  I hope the BVM does not take offence! 

My favourite time to say the rosary with is anytime with my wife  ;), but I work precisely 1 rosary away from work if I walk.  So on the days that I end up walking to work I'll say one on the way there and one on the way back.
Pages: 1 2