FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: A couple of new firsts at a NO we attended
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Daughter had weekend soccer tournament, so had to attend a NO. It was St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, http://seaschurch.com/  just outside of San Antonio, which I thought would be neat since we've been using Seton homeschool curriculum for years now, though I figured it would be a typical NO trainwreck, but anyways.

First, at the entrance to the Church is an outdoor kitchen. Stone counter tops which form a circle and with sink. Barbecues I guess? Just awful right at the entrance. Then, in front of the entrance itself, dwarfed by the Food Network approved outdoor kitchen is a wildly underwhelming approx 3ft tall cement statue of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. Completely lacking.

Liturgically, it was run of the mill NO. However, at distribution of the Eucharist, the priest distributed communion to the EO ministers and then he gave them all a 'go get em tiger!', then promptly plopped on his chair and watched as the EO ministers distributed to the laity at large. I didn't even notice actually until my wife nudged and asked what Father was doing sitting down. Err, looks like he's chillaxin pretty hardcore if you ask me....

Does a priest have authority during Mass to have EO ministers distribute completely in lieu of himself? It's awful of course, I just don't know if he's actually allowed to do that?

(12-05-2010, 11:56 PM)Beatissima Mariae Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't even notice actually until my wife nudged and asked what Father was doing sitting down. Err, looks like he's chillaxin pretty hardcore if you ask me....

He should at least have had the courtesy to be barbecueing some brisket for everyone out front instead of just sitting around... 
What physical shape was he in? He may have had a legitimate excuse  but I may be being to overly gracious in that regard.
(12-05-2010, 11:56 PM)Beatissima Mariae Wrote: [ -> ]..., so had to attend a NO.

uh huh.....
Actually I believe it is forbidden for a priest to sit down and let extra-ordinary eucharistic ministers distribute in lieu of himself.

This has been written about by the congregation for rites and the discipline of the sacraments.... maybe you can email this pastor the  quote from the document when you find it?
Extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist are actually supposed to be extraordinary. Used in emergency cases or in rare situations.

Priests should read the paper attempt John Paul II made in 1980 to stop Eucharistic ministers titled Dominicae Cenae.

He plainly states that "To touch the sacred species and distribute them with their own hands is a privilege of the ordained."
(12-06-2010, 02:03 AM)SaintRafael Wrote: [ -> ]Extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist are actually supposed to be extraordinary. Used in emergency cases or in rare situations.

Priests should read the paper attempt John Paul II made in 1980 to stop Eucharistic ministers titled Dominicae Cenae.

He plainly states that "To touch the sacred species and distribute them with their own hands is a privilege of the ordained."

No, that is not right. You are using an incomplete passage. The passage you are referring to is this one:
"To touch the sacred species and to distribute them with their own hands is a privilege of the ordained, one which indicates an active participation in the ministry of the Eucharist. It is obvious that the Church can grant this faculty to those who are neither priests nor deacons, as is the case with acolytes in the exercise of their ministry, especially if they are destined for future ordination, or with other lay people who are chosen for this to meet a just need, but always after an adequate preparation."
It's in section 11, last paragraph.
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_p...ae_en.html

The GIRM's allow for the use of extraordinary ministers as well. http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/EMCs.htm

I do think however, that it stands to reason the priest himself should also be distributing the Eucharist rather than just having the EM's do it. This is indicated in GIRM 162.

C.
(12-05-2010, 11:56 PM)Beatissima Mariae Wrote: [ -> ]However, at distribution of the Eucharist, the priest distributed communion to the EO ministers and then he gave them all a 'go get em tiger!', then promptly plopped on his chair and watched as the EO ministers distributed to the laity at large. I didn't even notice actually until my wife nudged and asked what Father was doing sitting down. Err, looks like he's chillaxin pretty hardcore if you ask me....

Does a priest have authority during Mass to have EO ministers distribute completely in lieu of himself? It's awful of course, I just don't know if he's actually allowed to do that?

I've seen this once myself, when I went to Mass in Oshkosh a month or so ago. The priest was an older gentleman, but didn't seem to have any physical infirmity -- he stood for the entire Mass, except Communion. During Communion, he sat back by the altar, as you describe, holding the big Host up in front of him while the EMHCs distributed Communion. It struck me as very weird. The other weird thing was that the Communion procession started from the back of the Church rather than the front, so I had to keep looking back to know when it was my turn to go.
(12-06-2010, 12:39 AM)EcceQuamBonum Wrote: [ -> ]He should at least have had the courtesy to be barbecueing some brisket for everyone out front instead of just sitting around...   
LOL

Regarding the priest, he was older, but hardly immobile. Got around just fine throughout Mass. I am going to send an email.
(12-06-2010, 01:10 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2010, 11:56 PM)Beatissima Mariae Wrote: [ -> ]..., so had to attend a NO.

uh huh.....

heh... just HAD to, huh.

Before too much longer, the priest will just "plop down" and let an "Extraordinary Eucharistic Minister" perform the Consecration as well - this is one of the many evil goals of the Novus Ordo, to end the distinction between priest and laity.  I guess you will just HAVE to attend that as well...
Pages: 1 2 3