FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Question about the Presentation and the Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was praying the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary tonight, and I came to the Presentation and the Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple. I remembered from what I'd read about the Jewish Temple that women were only allowed into a certain area (which I later looked up and found was called the Court of the Women. Did the Presentation take place in the Court of the Women, or would it have been done in the Temple itself or the Court of the Israelites? And did Mary and Joseph find Jesus in the Court of the Women when He was twelve years old?
That is a great question. I have no idea. I know that Jesus was found talking with the rabbi's and I doubt they would have been caught dead hanging out in the court of the women. Maybe it was a side area of the Temple they found him. :shrug:
http://www.templeinstitute.org/illustrat...ourt_4.jpg

Perhaps in the court of Israel?  ???  For the Presentation I would guess He was presented to the Court  of the priests??.
(01-04-2011, 05:27 PM)verenaerin Wrote:My memory is hazy, but this is what I remember from one of Bl. Emmerich's books.

St. Joseph took Jesus in to be circumcised. When the baby Jesus was given back to the Blessed Mother she was horrified by what happened

Jesus was circumcised on the eighth day after his birth. His presentation in the temple occurred when he was forty days old. Why would the Blessed Mother be horrified at Our Lord's circumcision? She and Joseph were loyal Jews. This is also why they went to the Temple in Jerusalem after 40 days. According to Mosaic Law, every firstborn male was to be brought into the temple to be "redeemed" by God on the fortieth day after birth (Leviticus 12, Exodus 13:12-15, etc.). . At that time a sacrifice was also to be brought; they offered two pigeons. Mary and Joseph followed this law, even though they knew that the Child was the Son of God. Jesus himself accepted a baptism of repentance by John the Baptist, though he had no sins to repent of. He did it "to fulfull all things" as scripture says. His entire life was that of a Jew obedient to the law of God. God came into time and a real place and culture and submitted himself to it, and was obedient to his parents as well.

As for where in the Temple, the Bible is silent. But IMO I don't think that the location of either the Presentation or the Finding in the Temple could have been places where women were excluded, since in the Presentation it also mentions "Anna" the old prophetess, who came on the scene just after Simeon.
Scripture is not clear on the location. We can find this remarkable episode in Luke, chap. 2, vers. 42 to 52. After three days looking for their son, St. Joseph and Our Lady found the Child Jesus "sitting in the midst of the doctors, hearing them, and asking them questions, etc.". The Bible does not state where in the temple this came about but perhaps it happened in the court of women or in the outer court.

Perhaps some one else can chime in. I've never given it much thought.