FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What were the criterion for the Canon?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I know that when the Church Canonized the scripture of the New Testament, there were specific criterion that were used.  What were those specific criterion, and what is the source/citation of those criterion (i.e. Council Canon, Papal declaration, etc.?)

David
It was hashed out over 2 councils and by 1 or 2 Popes.  Around 400 A.D.

Have you read "Where we got the bible" by Graham?  It is available at TAN.
(12-12-2010, 06:17 PM)dnu Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all,

I know that when the Church Canonized the scripture of the New Testament, there were specific criterion that were used.  What were those specific criterion, and what is the source/citation of those criterion (i.e. Council Canon, Papal declaration, etc.?)

David

Here's a great article you should check out: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03274a.htm

The criteria included, but was not limited to, apostolicity and more importantly, doctrinal tradition.  In other words, did the books in question teach (or at least not contradict) the Faith that was held by the Church?  Read the article for a more complete explanation.
(12-19-2010, 11:38 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-12-2010, 06:17 PM)dnu Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all,

David

Here's a great article you should check out: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03274a.htm

The criteria included, but was not limited to, apostolicity and more importantly, doctrinal tradition.  In other words, did the books in question teach (or at least not contradict) the Faith that was held by the Church?  Read the article for a more complete explanation.

A nice arrow through the heart of sola scriptura indeed!