FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Old Earth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The Evolution thread is actually a mish mash of 4 topics:
Origin of Life
Evolution
Origin of Man
Age of Earth.

On Origin of Life, it was created by God's direct intervention. 

On evolution, I believe if any evolution takes place, it is pretty minor.  God was directly involved in most creation, and did not use evolution as a proxy.  I don't discount all evolution however.

Man was created by God, and the first man was Adam.  Evolution did not play a part.  And Adam was created on the order of 10,000 years ago.

Which brings me to item 4.  I want this thread to focus on item 4, the age of the Earth.  I am an old earther.    I believe God created dinosaurs for whatever reason He wanted to.  I believe there were ape-man creatures like Neanderthals, though they had no souls.  I believe that radioactive proofs and observations of the universe can be used to "date" the earth.  I am open to young earth arguments.  Mainly because science has blown it with "fossil fuels", "evolution", and "global warming".  So I am open to young earth arguments.

However, after reading the encyclical from Pope Pius XII, there is no problem for a Catholic to believe in an old earth.  If anyone states that you aren't Catholic if you believe in an old earth, please provide a reference to authoratative Church teaching on the subject, and explain how Pope Pius XII wasn't an heretic.
Why wouldn't Neanderthals have souls?  Were they just like another animal?
They predate Adam and Eve.

Or maybe not?
(12-30-2010, 12:22 AM)James02 Wrote: [ -> ]  I believe God created dinosaurs for whatever reason He wanted to.  I believe there were ape-man creatures like Neanderthals, though they had no souls.  I believe that radioactive proofs and observations of the universe can be used to "date" the earth.  I am open to young earth arguments.  Mainly because science has blown it with "fossil fuels", "evolution", and "global warming".  So I am open to young earth arguments.

I've always found it kind of hard to argue with dinosaur fossils, myself.  I'm interested to see where this thread goes.
I think Neanderthals are human, just a different race.  I read one theory that since facial features continue to grow as we age, that the skull differences in neanderthals were merely examples of very aged human beings.  Like back from when man lived some 500-900 years.

After weighing all the evidence, I think young earth is more likely.  Years ago I spent a great deal of time researching it.  Alas, I lost many of my sources in a flood, and I have other interests now anyways.  There was something about Niagara falls that intrigued me, something about granite and the halos formed therein, evidence that mankind was around at the same time dinosaurs were here, something about how things like radiation and heat can make yesterday's chicken bones appear millions of years old through carbon dating.  There are many many more examples like these that makes me think young earth is more likely, and that old earth is pushed solely to support evolutionary theory.
Quote: There are many many more examples like these that makes me think young earth is more likely, and that old earth is pushed solely to support evolutionary theory.
Please leave evolution out of this thread.  I utterly reject evolution.  I just want to hear  the arguments for and against old earth, and also what a Catholic is allowed to believe.  I am open minded on this topic, though if asked, I am old earth.
The only reason the "old earth" theory exists is to back up evolutionary science. Everybody knows this.

Ironically enough, the earth isn't old enough to actually support it. They'll have to make up something else.
I don't know how old the Earth is but it looks like humans and dinosaurs coexisted at some time in Earth's past.

Check out this link to get information on the Paluxy River in Glen Rose Texas. This rapidly flowing river runs through the middle of Dinosaur Valley State Park, famous for its dinosaur tracks. Not as well known is the fact that human tracks have also been found, not only in the same formation, but on the same bedding plane and in some cases overlapping the dinosaur tracks.

http://www.bible.ca/tracks/taylor-trail.htm
(12-30-2010, 04:36 AM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know how old the Earth is but it looks like humans and dinosaurs coexisted at some time in Earth's past.

Check out this link to get information on the Paluxy River in Glen Rose Texas. This rapidly flowing river runs through the middle of Dinosaur Valley State Park, famous for its dinosaur tracks. Not as well known is the fact that human tracks have also been found, not only in the same formation, but on the same bedding plane and in some cases overlapping the dinosaur tracks.

http://www.bible.ca/tracks/taylor-trail.htm

that neat. they maybe traking dinosaur cause the dinosaur tall and can see edibles far away.

literally following in the footstep on the dinosaur!!

roar!!!!
(12-30-2010, 01:15 AM)miss_fluffy Wrote: [ -> ]I think Neanderthals are human, just a different race.  I read one theory that since facial features continue to grow as we age, that the skull differences in neanderthals were merely examples of very aged human beings.  Like back from when man lived some 500-900 years.

After weighing all the evidence, I think young earth is more likely.  Years ago I spent a great deal of time researching it.  Alas, I lost many of my sources in a flood, and I have other interests now anyways.  There was something about Niagara falls that intrigued me, something about granite and the halos formed therein, evidence that mankind was around at the same time dinosaurs were here, something about how things like radiation and heat can make yesterday's chicken bones appear millions of years old through carbon dating.  There are many many more examples like these that makes me think young earth is more likely, and that old earth is pushed solely to support evolutionary theory.

you interesting
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7