FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: My husband, Jesus and original sin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
You need to consider converting immediately--asap and you need to consider the benefits of not talking to your husband about the Church. He's at the point where he can only be won over by your prayer and your sacrifices for him. If I were in your position, I'd tell my husband that I'll love, honor and obey him as best I can, but that I must be true to God first. Don't agree with him regarding anything you know goes against Church doctrine. And don't let him turn that conversation into a debate, too. Be a broken record, say 'You must be true to God first. You won't agree with anything you know goes against Church doctrine.'

He sounds very zealous. I suppose that he wants to raise the children in his religion? This is the toughest part. If he insists, you really have no choice but to let him--for now.

But really I pray that you become a Catholic soon! 
I can only offer you my prayers.  :pray:

As for great apologetics Web sites, see: http://www.cin.org/users/jgallegos/contents.htm  It defends the Catholic Faith by way of the testimony of the Early Church Fathers.

See also: http://www.catholic.com/library/fathers_know_best.asp

As for books, please see the relatively affordable three-volume series, The Faith of the Early Fathers, by Fr. Jurgens: http://www.litpress.org/Detail.aspx?ISBN=0814610250

The best possible advice I can give you is this: "We ought to obey God, rather than men" (Acts 5:29).  You are responsible for your own soul, and in the order of charity, you must love God above all else, then yourself, and then your neighbor (which includes your husband and children).  With this in mind, you must save your own soul in preference to obeying your husband, who wishes you not to convert.  Your loyalty to God and to what He has revealed (i.e. the Catholic Faith) must come before your loyalty to your husband.  I pray that your courageous example of doing the right thing will also have an effect on your children so that one day they too will convert.  :)

I know it's so much easier said than done, and as I'm not in your position I cannot possibly fathom how difficult it is to do what is right in this situation, but the fact remains that it is right for you to convert to the one true faith.  I'll take a look at your points, but I will say very quickly that i) is utterly blasphemous.  Besides, your husband is contradicted by Scripture: John 8:46; II Corinthians 5:21; I Peter 2:22; Hebrews 4:15; and I John 3:5.  Moreover, "God is faithful and without iniquity" (Deut. 32:4; "sin is inquity" - I John 3:4).  If Jesus is God, then He must be without inquity (His holiness makes it impossible for Him to be stained with sin, either original or actual).
(01-04-2011, 04:32 PM)traditionalmom Wrote: [ -> ]the church ceased being in its pure form and has been corrupted since 325A.D. since it started "fornicating with the state)

In that case, Our Lord's promise has failed and the gates of hell prevailed against His Church.  Does your husband really believe that Christianity disappeared and it's up to him to restablish it?  That sounds more Mormon than Anglican.

Armenian Christianity developed outside the Roman Empire, so there was no "fornicating with the state".  Invite your husband to go to a parish of the Armenian Apostolic Church some Sunday morning and see if he can find anything that looks Protestant.
as for #1 might be nice to point out to them that "the state" didnt exist in its modern definition until the 17th century abouts.. and also point out Catholicism was not made the "state religion" by Constantine, just granted tolerance (St Constantine himself wasnt baptized till deathbed) along with other religions in the Roman Empire
My advice would be to convert soon, and to stop arguing with your husband unless he says something obviously wrong and easily refutable

Pray
(01-04-2011, 05:33 PM)traditionalmom Wrote: [ -> ]PS my husband has brow beaten me so many times I (sadly to my shame) have cowed down to him and "agreed" just so he'll treat me like a person again not some feminist rebel heretic under his roof. He can be quite brutal verbally if I dare disagree with him and take the "Pope's side"....

The Catholic Church teaches that a wife should be obedient to her husband and that he is head of the family, but there are limits to the obedience.  She is not obliged to obey a command to sin or too violate her own dignity.  If your husband commands you to follow him into heresy, that is not a legitimate order because he commands you to sin.  You are not being a feminist when you disobey him in this case, but following Church teaching.

Make a point to be as obedient, sweet and cheerful as possible in all matters in which you can obey him, but he does not have an absolute right over you. 
I am praying for you and your husband, but I would not wait to convert.

"You know not the day nor the hour when the Son of Man cometh."
Traditionalmom. you've written about your husband before, and it's clear that the situation has gotten worse and not better. You need to divorce him. He is a threat to your eternal salvation, and to that of your children, and you have not only a right but an obligation to protect yourself and them from his abuse. Please do this as soon as possible, before he physically harms you. This is not a situation you should stay in for a day longer and frankly I'm shocked and disgusted at the "stay around and pray for him and act sweet" responses that are being given here. Next time he starts browbeating you, please call the police.
Ignore Iolanthe. The conditions under which it is moral to get a divorce are quite rare and there is no indication in what you have said so far that it applies to your situation. Nobody is capable of giving this kind of advice based on online information.  Talk to a priest. 

(01-07-2011, 07:32 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]Ignore Iolanthe. The conditions under which it is moral to get a divorce are quite rare and there is no indication in what you have said so far that it applies to your situation. Nobody is capable of giving this kind of advice based on online information.  Talk to a priest. 

It's both rude and arrogant for you to tell her to ignore me.

Also, you were not a member of the forum when she posted that her husband threatened her physically. That is certainly more than enough reason for at least a separation.

I agree that she should talk to a priest, and I hope he is good strong priest who will tell her she needs to leave him.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11