FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Protestant converts And V-II
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Question: Has the recent ( past 10 yrs) influx of protestant converts into the Church re-enforced the changes Vatican II and will they inadvertently make it harder to restore the tradition that was suppressed after V-II? 
Some Protestants convert to traditionalism, others convert to neoconservatism or liberalism. 
I've found that many Protestants who convert most definitely convert to a neo-conservative Catholicism, but they are almost entirely unaware of the Protestantizing of their new religion and just how different it was only decades ago.
(01-13-2011, 12:05 AM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]I've found that many Protestants who convert most definitely convert to a neo-conservative Catholicism, but they are almost entirely unaware the Protestantizing of their new religion and just how different it was only decades ago.

Yes.

ETA: they'd probably go trad if people knew anything about traditional Catholicism.
(01-13-2011, 12:06 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-13-2011, 12:05 AM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]I've found that many Protestants who convert most definitely convert to a neo-conservative Catholicism, but they are almost entirely unaware the Protestantizing of their new religion and just how different it was only decades ago.

Yes.

ETA: they'd probably go trad if people knew anything about traditional Catholicism.

Yeah, I agree.  Most of the best Catholics I know are converts.  They think I'm nuts for going trad, but these are intelligent people.  I assume it's only a matter of time until they're there too.
I've said for a few years now that traditional Catholicism is actually honors Catholicism.
Quote:ETA: they'd probably go trad if people knew anything about traditional Catholicism.

It worked for me. I converted to the Church because of Her Doctrines. The NO style worship, though, wore on me over the years until I finally learned a little about LIturgy. Then, after experiencing TLM a few times, I fell in love with it, recognizing it as being aligned with the Doctrines I had first learned about and fallen in love with.
(01-15-2011, 12:52 AM)CyberSaint Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:ETA: they'd probably go trad if people knew anything about traditional Catholicism.

It worked for me. I converted to the Church because of Her Doctrines. The NO style worship, though, wore on me over the years until I finally learned a little about LIturgy. Then, after experiencing TLM a few times, I fell in love with it, recognizing it as being aligned with the Doctrines I had first learned about and fallen in love with.

This.

I couldn't figure out for years why the doctrine I converted for wasn't present.  I was drawn to traditionalism almost immediately, but discouraged by most people.  Being a new convert, I listened.  But the more I looked & read, the more I came back to the traditional.
I know quite a few converts who are trads...
I'm still a new convert, less than a year ago.  The fact that the majority of the Church uses a new liturgy that is clearly not timeless(at least the way it is generally celebrated) and the apparent changes in teaching made conversion much more difficult, as I knew the true religion would be the only thing able to resist the changes of the times.   
Pages: 1 2