FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I'm shocked by a trad priest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I was just looking at the blog written by a priest who supports the Latin Mass and noticed that down the right hand side he has links for people to donate money. For a mission? No. A new school? No. But "Buy Fr. Z a coffee!" and "Okay Mac users. You want Fr. Z to “get a Mac”? Here’s your chance to make it happen!" What makes it worse is that some people have already donated over $500 towards his computer fund.

Is this against canon law? Why doesn't his bishop do something about it?

Am I over reacting or does anyone else find this totally inappropriate for a priest?
Fr. Z is a priest without a parish assigned to him.  He just says Mass, blogs, and some other stuff.  He worked in the Vatican, and he was ordained in Rome (I think).

I personally do not see a problem with this. 

Why would this be against canon law?  Or inappropriate?

Also, as some will say, Fr. Z is not necessarily a traditionalist priest.  He may have traditionalist leanings, but I think most would characterize him as neo-Catholic.

Finally, no you are not the only person to think this, as I've heard this complaint elsewhere.  My thought about it:  Let people spend their money where they want to, and you make your own choices.  You are not obliged to donate or give him money.
I think that besides his coffees, Fr Zuhlsdorf needs money for the use and  the maintenance of his internet blog.
Since he is not assigned to a parish, probably he has no wages but scarce ones.
Anyway the job he does on his blog must take him much time and the result is worthy, spiritually speaking.
Everybody can give, nobody is forced to.
I looked at his blog and saw several ways to donate for various reason, including an Amazon wish list (which contained no objectionable items and some of which looked useful and costly and probably related to fruitful work (printer and computer related items)).

I noticed he uses Apple computers, and I think that is a mortal sin, at least, as far as computing goes.

I should email him and say I will give him a Linux powered Thinkpad for free if he abandons the jaws of the Bitten One. I would too.
Rosarium,
I wanted to let you know, this year's freshman class got Lenovo W510s.

Lol. 
(01-13-2011, 09:38 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Rosarium,
I wanted to let you know, this year's freshman class got Lenovo W510s.

Lol. 

Sweet! The W series has very high specs.

The Thinkpad 701ds has a second screen (retractable) and a full sized keyboard, with number pad, a color sensor and tablet entry with stylus (with the normal finger print reader and touch pad).

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/contr...ction=init

I do not really want one, but I'd like to see one and use it for a bit.
I have to wonder, with the shortage of priests,

WHY DOSENT FATHER Z WORK IN A PARISH OR AS A REGULAR PRIEST.

Its as if all he does is post online, say mass, and cook. I ove his blog, and if thats his apostolate then thats great. But how does he swing a nice gig like that?
(01-13-2011, 10:00 AM)dustman Wrote: [ -> ]I have to wonder, with the shortage of priests,

WHY DOSENT FATHER Z WORK IN A PARISH OR AS A REGULAR PRIEST.

Its as if all he does is post online, say mass, and cook. I ove his blog, and if thats his apostolate then thats great. But how does he swing a nice gig like that?

Um, maybe because he's not incardinated in the USA?  If you woulda read my post, he was ordained a priest in Italy, and that's where his "home diocese" is, even though he is American.

Also, like I said, prior, he worked in the Vatican bureaucracy.  I don't know how he "swung a nice gig like that," but my guess is he's paid his dues somehow.  E-mail him and find out, as opposed to bitching about it online. 

Maybe trad Catholics should have more babies to make more priests?

Also, by your logic, we should have every priest not assigned to a parish (bureaucrats, etc) sent to a parish, regardless of their abilities. 

Not every priest is made to be a parish priest.
Considering that Rome probably has an overabundance of priests, I wouldn't give Father John Z. a hard time simply for having a lot of free time.

However, this allows me to sound the call yet again to fill the ranks of the Church hierarchy with permanent deacons, subdeacons and minor orders. Deacons especially were built to be administrators. Let them do that sort of work so priests can be priest-ing (offering the Mass, singing the Office publicly, shriving).
He's no trad.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5