FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Gun control: "Church" firmly, quietly opposes firearms for civilians
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
What the USCCB says is similar to the gun laws in New Zealand. Here, we are not allowed to own firearms for self-defence. You can own guns for hunting or target shooting (handguns may only be legally owned if you belong to a pistol shooting club, as far as I know). Our police officers don't even carry sidearms.
Quote:Every person "is called to disarm his own heart and be a peacemaker everywhere," the pope said.

A peacemaker needs the right tools:

[Image: WWcoltpeacemaker.jpg]
Colt Peacemaker
(01-15-2011, 10:55 PM)PeterII Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Every person "is called to disarm his own heart and be a peacemaker everywhere," the pope said.

So very gay. Some times self defense is needed.
(01-15-2011, 07:13 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]I bought a sword.

However, a sword is not a firearm (yes, I know there are awkward hybrids).

Even Barry Sotero knows better than to bring a knife to a gun fight.  :fish:
(01-15-2011, 08:16 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-15-2011, 01:57 PM)dark lancer Wrote: [ -> ]criminal personnel

That's awesome.  I'm going to steal it.

Completely intended too.
(01-15-2011, 10:57 AM)werdegast Wrote: [ -> ][W]e believe that in the long run and with few exceptions -- i.e. police officers, military use -- handguns should be eliminated from our society."

Amazing.
Depending on your point of view... say, 1100's.... the USCCB's position is actually "traditional". Sword control was absolutely a part of medieval society. Bishops did their part in maintaining the gentry's monopoly on violence, have no doubt of that. Don't take that as an absolute, though. The Saxons were an armed society, for instance, but the Norman conquest put an end to that.

Dust Wrote:I could be wrong, but I don't think bishop's conferences are official structures within the hierarchy of the Church.

Episcopal conferences are official structures per Vatican II (Christus Dominus). They don't have teaching authority, but they can (with the approval of the Holy See) make dogmatic pronouncements.
Anyway, I dispute the notion that the gun issue is beyond the USCCB's realm of interest. The ownership of weapons designed to kill is definitely a moral issue. A little intrusive, yes. Are they a bunch of liberal fruits? For the most part, yes. And I suppose since guns don't normally involve the use of genitals, that makes it less exciting for Catholics to talk about. But you can't bash the USCCB for avoiding the issue of gays in the military and then say the USCCB shouldn't be involved in talking about guns. Then you're just wishing the bishops would be a mouthpiece for conservative political parties.

A good episcopal conference would piss everyone off, left and right. Unfortunately, ours has chosen to be an arm of the Obama Administration and an enabler for all sorts of clerical crime.
(01-16-2011, 08:26 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, I dispute the notion that the gun issue is beyond the USCCB's realm of interest. The ownership of weapons designed to kill is definitely a moral issue. A little intrusive, yes

I did a little digging, and I can find basically no comment from American bishops on this topic until after most of them became as you say, 'liberal fruits', ie after the dust had settled from Vatican II.  They dont poke their heads on this because it may have a moral angle, but because they are liberal utopians.   

Anyway, now I think posting this is obligatory:
[Image: 3179926973_5763a3ca70.jpg]
(01-15-2011, 05:49 PM)Dust Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-15-2011, 05:02 PM)Gladium Wrote: [ -> ]Do national conferences of bishops have any special teaching authority greater than that which the bishops have individually? I do not think so because of the Winnipeg Statement affair.
I might suggest that they have less authority than a local bishop.  But they exercise this authority (or at least try to) over more souls.

You are absolutely correct. His Excellency the Bishop of Lincoln has made this point when refusing to obey the 'directives' of the USCCB.
Pages: 1 2 3 4