FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Confession experience
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So I went to the NO Church for confession today. I know the priest at this Church and he is really holy and a good priest. Much to my chagrin there was another priest there today but I wanted to go to Confession so I stayed there. I got there early because I wasn't staying for Mass obviously and I wanted to have a chance to pray before and after Confession. So, while I was saying my Rosary before confession the priest comes over and in a loud voice says "Cold out there isn't it!" Out of charity I answered him and was friendly towards him when I wanted to say "Do you mind, I am praying." But it was better to be nice then rude. So back to saying my Rosary and by this time another elderly lady came in for confession and she started saying her Rosary too which was very good to see. This priest then goes back and starts having a conversation with another person in a loud voice. Now, he wasn't being loud on purpose, it's just this priest has a loud voice when he speaks. At least I went to confession and it was valid but I am really glad I don't go to the NO Mass...oh, the other thing is when the priest went to the tabernacle he didn't even genuflect or anything. Then when he walked by it again he just made a quick bow. Now, I don't want to judge him on this either because hopefully his reason is because of health reasons because I would hate to see a priest being disrespectful towards Our Lord...I would rather think there is a good reason he couldn't genuflect.

I am just more and more thankful every day that I have access to the traditional Mass and I don't have to put up with the nonsense at the NO. Just for the record...the reason I didn't go to confession at the TLM tomorrow is because it's not uncommon to have a long line and the priest only allows 15 minutes for confession and there has been more than one occasion where 1 person uses up all 15 minutes. Since I help set up for the Mass, I would rather go to confession before Mass so I can focus on setting up for the Mass and now worry about having to rush to get in line for confession.

(01-15-2011, 06:14 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]So I went to the NO Church for confession today. I know the priest at this Church and he is really holy and a good priest. Much to my chagrin there was another priest there today but I wanted to go to Confession so I stayed there. I got there early because I wasn't staying for Mass obviously and I wanted to have a chance to pray before and after Confession. So, while I was saying my Rosary before confession the priest comes over and in a loud voice says "Cold out there isn't it!" Out of charity I answered him and was friendly towards him when I wanted to say "Do you mind, I am praying." But it was better to be nice then rude. So back to saying my Rosary and by this time another elderly lady came in for confession and she started saying her Rosary too which was very good to see. This priest then goes back and starts having a conversation with another person in a loud voice. Now, he wasn't being loud on purpose, it's just this priest has a loud voice when he speaks. At least I went to confession and it was valid but I am really glad I don't go to the NO Mass...oh, the other thing is when the priest went to the tabernacle he didn't even genuflect or anything. Then when he walked by it again he just made a quick bow. Now, I don't want to judge him on this either because hopefully his reason is because of health reasons because I would hate to see a priest being disrespectful towards Our Lord...I would rather think there is a good reason he couldn't genuflect.

I am just more and more thankful every day that I have access to the traditional Mass and I don't have to put up with the nonsense at the NO. Just for the record...the reason I didn't go to confession at the TLM tomorrow is because it's not uncommon to have a long line and the priest only allows 15 minutes for confession and there has been more than one occasion where 1 person uses up all 15 minutes. Since I help set up for the Mass, I would rather go to confession before Mass so I can focus on setting up for the Mass and now worry about having to rush to get in line for confession.

I dislike that.  To me, if you're going to use up more than 5 minutes of time in the confessional, schedule an appointment.  IMHO.

I wasn't able to confess last week because people took forever in the confessional.  I want to tell everyone in front of me "go in, confess your sins, get out."  :S  (This was NO)
(01-15-2011, 06:14 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]oh, the other thing is when the priest went to the tabernacle he didn't even genuflect or anything. Then when he walked by it again he just made a quick bow.

Unfortunately, this has become the norm in most NO parishes. Only the more conservative priests (e.g. Opus Dei) still genuflect. In reality, this sad state of affairs - plus the all-pervasive CITH - belies the clergy's disbelief in the Real Presence.

Quote:Now, I don't want to judge him on this either because hopefully his reason is because of health reasons because I would hate to see a priest being disrespectful towards Our Lord...I would rather think there is a good reason he couldn't genuflect.

Health reasons that stop a person from genuflecting are quite rare. His "excuse" is most likely of another nature: lack of faith.
Another priest who doesn't have a clue.

This is a bit of a stray thought, but if I were a bishop, I'd try to require all my priests to wear cassock, surplice and biretta in addition to the stole while hearing confessions. Wearing those would hopefully help the priest assume a degree of gravitas that may be lacking if he's just hopping from the rectory to the booth in his regular clothes.
(01-15-2011, 06:18 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I dislike that.  To me, if you're going to use up more than 5 minutes of time in the confessional, schedule an appointment.  IMHO.

I wasn't able to confess last week because people took forever in the confessional.  I want to tell everyone in front of me "go in, confess your sins, get out."  :S   (This was NO)

I agree with you. Even on my "worst" weeks it only takes me a few minutes. Last week a lady was waiting for Father at our traditional Mass and she said Father told her she would see her first. I was OK with that but when she went in she was in there almost 15 minutes. I did get a chance to go to confession as I was second in line but there were many people that didn't get to go. Father is good about staying after Mass and finish hearing the Confessions but if you have mortal sin to confess then you can't receive Communion. Although sometimes Father allows us to go to Communion under the stipulation that you make it to confession after Mass.

But it reminds me of a Fr. Corapi talk when he said no matter how many sins you have it shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to confess because you only have to confess mortal sins and there are only 10 Commandments so it shouldn't take you that long to confess. I think the only time I took more than a few minutes is when I made a general confession of my whole life and that was at a separate time and not when the priest only had a few minutes to hear confessions.

Another funny story from Fr. Corapi is he was talking about some lady that came in and started in saying "That no good husband of mine did this and that and this and that..." So at the end Father said "For your penance say one Our Father for your sins and 5 Decades of the Rosary for your husbands sins.  :laughing:

Sometimes, it's not the people confessing but the priest who drones on and on.
I just assume the 15-minuters are serial murderers.  Adds no end of excitement to the after-Mass social--especially when certain little old ladies have brought the refreshments.
(01-15-2011, 07:15 PM)Petertherock Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-15-2011, 06:18 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I dislike that.  To me, if you're going to use up more than 5 minutes of time in the confessional, schedule an appointment.  IMHO.

I wasn't able to confess last week because people took forever in the confessional.  I want to tell everyone in front of me "go in, confess your sins, get out."  :S   (This was NO)

I agree with you. Even on my "worst" weeks it only takes me a few minutes. Last week a lady was waiting for Father at our traditional Mass and she said Father told her she would see her first. I was OK with that but when she went in she was in there almost 15 minutes. I did get a chance to go to confession as I was second in line but there were many people that didn't get to go. Father is good about staying after Mass and finish hearing the Confessions but if you have mortal sin to confess then you can't receive Communion. Although sometimes Father allows us to go to Communion under the stipulation that you make it to confession after Mass.

But it reminds me of a Fr. Corapi talk when he said no matter how many sins you have it shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to confess because you only have to confess mortal sins and there are only 10 Commandments so it shouldn't take you that long to confess. I think the only time I took more than a few minutes is when I made a general confession of my whole life and that was at a separate time and not when the priest only had a few minutes to hear confessions.

??!! 

My longest time - The first time I confessed in German (in Germany), because my sins in German were translated so-so, and the priest didn't really speak English.  Maybe seven minutes, tops.  lol
I went a few times since the beginning of Advent and it seems like no one else goes.  Father's been at my parish for several years now and I wonder how many weeks he sat in the Confessional not hearing Confessions.  Still, the Confessions are always pretty brief.
Pages: 1 2 3