FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Jimmy Akin, Patrick Coffin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

I've been listening to Catholic Answers for awhile now on my commute home and find the most regular pairing of Patrick Coffin and Jimmy Akin most edifying. Jimmy is essentially a Vulcan apologist and Patrick has a real knack for masterful analogies to various situations, it's uncanny.

They are both friendly to the TLM on air when I've heard them discuss it on various occasions, and put out great work. So I'd like to give them some run with the FE's.
Your a madman!!!
A lot of the Catholic Answers crowd has been scrambling since the death of John Paul II.  They were very "anti-trad" with only occasional lip service to the Traditional Latin Mass.  After Benedict and the motu proprio they've been more and more outwardly friendly to the smells and bells but they are not interested in really getting into the gravity of the crisis in the Church or looking at Vatican II for what it was and is, but rather looking into the future for what it's "supposed to be." 
I used to read Jimmy Akin's blog and he was very hostile to the TLM and trads in general.
I know the Catholic Answers forum is atrocious and filled to the brim with clueless NO's, but personally I've never heard or read criticisms of the TLM from Akin or Coffin personally.

At a minimum I would say give them the benefit of the doubt in regards to their 'warming', if indeed they were hostile to the TLM. Times, they are a changing.

I also ordered Akin's Fathers Know Best book on the Church Fathers and I have to say it is probably going to rock. I'll offer a book review when I'm done.

(01-16-2011, 11:20 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]Your a madman!!!
Yeah, that's right!  :P
In my opinion, Jimmy Akin gave some real bad advice on that show regarding Santa Claus back at Christmas time (this is the one episode that momentarily comes to mine). He retains some of his Protestant sensibilities and biases - that's the overall feeling I come away with.

Although they do state that their opinions are mere "opinions" at times accordingly, my opinion is that they should be silent where the church is silent ... and have a real "Catholic Answers" program which answers and confirms nonnegotiable church teaching, and leave it at that. They should simply say "the church is silent" OR "the church is open to different interpretations" and move on. They can certainly give St. Augustine's slant or Thomas Aquinas' slant, but leave their own slant out of it.

I'm not saying that every Catholic program must be like that, but with a format like "Catholic Answers" which is fast paced, time constrained, and has callers of all backgrounds, I think it is best to just stick to authoritative church teaching and nix the personal opinions and experiences. Things are confusing enough as it is.
Anyone who goes around as an adult calling themselves 'Jimmy' is someone I'm not even going to start taking seriously.
(01-16-2011, 03:05 PM)cunctas_haereses Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone who goes around as an adult calling themselves 'Jimmy' is someone I'm not even going to start taking seriously.

That's his given name.
(01-16-2011, 03:05 PM)cunctas_haereses Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone who goes around as an adult calling themselves 'Jimmy' is someone I'm not even going to start taking seriously.

He explained that once. For a while he changed it to "James" to sound more adult, but Jimmy is actually his real name.

ETA: Spooky beat me to it!  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 4