FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Papa doc and the church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Doin me mornin silpin o Joe and two shots o scotch  I came  across some interesting info regarding the freak show papa doc. And am curious about one perticular thing. Granted keeping lopped off heads in the closet  dangling like aged provolone raises eye brows,  and the funny  pin doll enemy voodo thing is a keeper not to mention the weirdo having chopped heads of enemies kept on ice so he could commune with their spirit thingamijig and all that.  It's a rather long list but this is what I find the most interesting so far

"  In the name of nationalism, Duvalier expelled almost all of Haiti's foreign-born bishops, an act that earned him excommunication from the Catholic Church.[6] In 1966, Duvalier managed to persuade the Holy See to allow him to nominate the Catholic hierarchy for Haiti"

hats from wiki anyone know more about this?
The Caribbean is a confusing place, and Haiti will blow your mind.  I've grown up hearing stories from exiles and from friends/acquaintances who have lived there, and one lent me this book, which I have not read:

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/43a/517.html

Essentially, Duvalier tried every way he could to control the church - first through direct means, then via manipulation.  The Church knew this, but those in authority figured it was better to be there than not to be there.  The problem is that can and was mistaken for support, especially by the elite who all along supported the Duvaliers (it's a very creole society).  I know of some of them who were very insulted when JPII got off the plane in Port au Prince and said, "things here must change." 
when i saw this film as kid WOW! one o those places i just would never want to visit

what a freak show!!
what a film!!!

(01-19-2011, 12:57 PM)frerejacques Wrote: [ -> ]The Caribbean is a confusing place, and Haiti will blow your mind. 

You can say that again...
(01-19-2011, 03:05 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: [ -> ]when i saw this film as kid WOW! one o those places i just would never want to visit

what a freak show!!
what a film!!!

great movie
my dentist is haitian. about most normal person i know
I'm sure he is.
she

but i do ocasionally catch her practifing voodoo when i come out of sleeping gas
No doubt.
[Image: no-doubt.jpg]
Pages: 1 2