FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: who is greatest philosopher of 20th century?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
inquiring mind want to know

im guessing popper?
i just dont want to waste my time reading thelosers. i only read the very best
I'd go with Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange; he was a Thomist.  Some of his works are available in English; of note, there's his Reality: A Synthesis of Thomistic Thought.
His Eminence Désiré-Félicien-François-Joseph, Cardinal Mercier, Archbishop of Malines wrote extensively on Thomism. A good read and some of it is online.
(01-19-2011, 06:45 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]His Eminence Désiré-Félicien-François-Joseph, Cardinal Mercier, Archbishop of Malines wrote extensively on Thomism. A good read and some of it is online.

never heard of him. read an intersting tidbit on wikipedi:

"Mercier was the nephew of Reverend Adrien Croquet. In the 1860s Rev. Croquet (renamed Crockett) became a missionary to the Grand Ronde Indian Reservation in Oregon. In the 1870s, a cousin to Mercier, Joseph Mercier, joined his uncle Rev. Croquet in Oregon and married into a Native American tribe. Today, there are several thousand descendants of Joseph as members of the tribe.[1]"
(01-19-2011, 06:38 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: [ -> ]I'd go with Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange; he was a Thomist.  Some of his works are available in English; of note, there's his Reality: A Synthesis of Thomistic Thought.

ive heard of him. i suppose i was expecting non-catholic philosphers but i dont know why. who the best non-catholic philosphers of 20th century?
It depends on what you mean by "greatest." Heidegger or Wittgenstein would probably be the most common answers. However, you should probably read a lot of earlier philosophy before attempting them.
(01-19-2011, 08:59 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: [ -> ]It depends on what you mean by "greatest." Heidegger or Wittgenstein would probably be the most common answers. However, you should probably read a lot of earlier philosophy before attempting them.

how is a philopsher defined as "great"?
(01-19-2011, 07:13 PM)icecream Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2011, 06:38 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: [ -> ]I'd go with Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange; he was a Thomist.  Some of his works are available in English; of note, there's his Reality: A Synthesis of Thomistic Thought.

ive heard of him. i suppose i was expecting non-catholic philosphers but i dont know why. who the best non-catholic philosphers of 20th century?

I'd agree with this, but I would say that he is more correctly labelled a theologians.
(01-19-2011, 09:43 PM)icecream Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2011, 08:59 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: [ -> ]It depends on what you mean by "greatest." Heidegger or Wittgenstein would probably be the most common answers. However, you should probably read a lot of earlier philosophy before attempting them.

how is a philopsher defined as "great"?
The greatest philosopher doesn't necessarily have to be the best philosopher. "Great" might just mean that he has had the greatest influence on the course of philosophy, either by attacking a previous school of thought or by starting a new school or method of philosophy.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12