FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Al jazar cuts off talks with Vatican
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Atta boys!!

http://nowlebanon.com/NewsArticleDetails.aspx?ID=232262

Egypt's Al-Azhar, Sunni Islam's highest seat of learning, said on Thursday it was freezing its bi-annual meetings with the Vatican after remarks by Pope Benedict XVI that "attack" Islam.

"The Pope has reiterated that Muslims oppress non-Muslims who are living with them in the Middle East," read a statement from Al-Azhar carried by the official MENA news agency.

The Vatican replied Thursday that it wanted to continue talks with Al-Azhar.

The pope had earlier called for the protection of the Arab world's Christian communities after a New Year's attack on a church in the northern city of Alexandria that left 21 people dead.

He said the Alexandria attack was "yet another sign of the urgent need for the governments of the region to adopt... effective measures for the protection of religious minorities".

-AFP/NOW

and the Vatican was it to comence again
nuts
This kind of throws a wrench in that whole, Coca-Cola, I'd like to teach the world to sing thing.

I wish I were more certain of the Pope's intent in all this, however, as he talks about "peace" and "tolerance".