FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Benedict XVI honoring Korans and Praying to Mecca
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: benedict%20-%20koran.jpg]
On April 17, 2008, during the inter-faith meeting, Benedict happily received an ornate, silver-plated copy of part of the Koran from a Muslim.

[Image: benedict%20under%20muslim%20flag.jpg]
On November 28, 2006, Benedict XVI addressed ambassadors and religious leaders at the Vatican Embassy in Ankara, Turkey. He chose to have as the background setting for his speech an enormous Muslim Crescent.

[Image: benedict%20mecca%201.jpg]
Benedict XVI “Hailed for Praying Like Muslims Toward Mecca.” - Dec 1, 2006

ISTANBUL (Reuters) – “Pope Benedict ended a sensitive, fence-mending visit to Turkey on Friday amid praise for visiting Istanbul's famed Blue Mosque and praying there facing toward Mecca ‘like Muslims.’… ‘The Pope's dreaded visit was concluded with a wonderful surprise,’ wrote Daily Aksam on its front page. ‘In Sultan Ahmet Mosque, he turned toward Mecca and prayed like Muslims.’ ”

“The Holy Universal Church teaches that it is not possible to worship God truly except in Her and asserts that all who are outside of Her will not be saved.” (Moralia, Pope St. Gregory the Great, 590 – 604)

Be very afraid of the new Assisi.

1) That "Muslim Crescent" is actually the flag of Turkey which makes sense given he's in an embassy in Turkey.  Should we condemn him for standing in front of the American flag when he's in America?  Here's the Turkish flag:

[Image: tu-lgflag.gif]

2) He is obviously not praying, regardless of what the Liberal writers of Reuters think.  He is standing there respectfully with his hands folded while a Muslim prays.  Just as you or I would do if we went to a Protestant wedding.  As far as facing Mecca, we face the Prot "altar" if we're at a wedding as well.  It's not a sign of shared belief or anything like that.

3) So he took a Koran, what of it?  I have the Book of Mormon some doorbell ringers gave me on a bookshelf, too.  I'm thinking the Koran is in some closet in the Vatican.

I'm as against false ecumenism as the next person, but there is a difference between false ecumenism and diplomatic courtesy.  Whipping out a zippo and a can of gasoline upon presentation of a Koran is not the way to go.

This is just looking for problems that aren't there and probably calumny as well.
I was just about to point out the flag as well before I scrolled down.

If people spent as much time praying for priests and the Pope as they did posting about them online, the crisis would be over.

Petertherock, what is your point? What do you hope to gain?

OK...looks like this story was debunked...of course what do you expect from a sede site...I should learn there is rarely anything truthful on a protestant site.

(01-22-2011, 08:09 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]2) He is obviously not praying, regardless of what the Liberal writers of Reuters think.  He is standing there respectfully with his hands folded while a Muslim prays.  Just as you or I would do if we went to a Protestant wedding.  As far as facing Mecca, we face the Prot "altar" if we're at a wedding as well.   It's not a sign of shared belief or anything like that.

If a Catholic were invited to pray inside a mosque and accept such invitation, certainly the last thing he would do would be to adopt a physical posture equal to that of a Muslim during prayer. If the Pope chose to pray in silence next to the Mufti, as he certainly did, he shouldn't have went out of his way to fold his hands exactly like a muslim during his salah. It sends the wrong message and, at least, there's potential for scandal.

Your comparison to a Protestant wedding seems a bit faulty. One could attend a Protestant wedding but certainly not actively participate in it in a religious manner. And if one were to pray there, one would pray as Catholics pray, not as Protestants do.
B16 folds his hands like that all the time; you can find pictures of him doing so.

More to the point, during sallah, the right hand is supposed to be placed on the left as the Muslim behind the Pope has it; the Pope has his left hand on his right.  If anything, the Pope is violating a rule of Islam.

You're a sane person, Vetus.  Don't go scrutinizing for problems that don't exist.

(01-22-2011, 11:44 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]B16 folds his hands like that all the time; you can find pictures of him doing so.

I'm not aware of them but I'll take your word for it.

Quote:More to the point, during sallah, the right hand is supposed to be placed on the left as the Muslim behind the Pope has it; the Pope has his left hand on his right.  If anything, the Pope is violating a rule of Islam.

A minor violation nonetheless. The disturbing similarity of gestures remains, given the context of praying alongside infidels inside a mosque and facing the qibla. Ecumenical lunacy aside, the Pope could've chosen another gesture of prayer, among the many in the Christian repertoire, a gesture that wouldn't resemble the Islamic one, couldn't he? All in all, the result was scandalous.

Quote:You're a sane person, Vetus.  Don't go scrutinizing for problems that don't exist.

More than 2 years have gone by since this event but I'm still disturbed everytime I'm reminded of it.

I try not to get out of my way to look out for problems but sometimes they are simply unavoidable.
The only one of these that bothers me is the Pope praying in the mosque. Like Quis says I have books from other religions too. I even own a Koran. And despite what our great friend Credo had to say it is a vile book full of violence to non believers. So naturally the Pope should go pray in a place where that is preached. Rolling eyes. Like I said thats the only pic that bothers me.
(01-22-2011, 08:09 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: [ -> ]  Whipping out a zippo and a can of gasoline upon presentation of a Koran is not the way to go.

No but he should hand Grand Mufti JackoShabbaz ziki ziki a bible when he is presented with a koran.
(01-23-2011, 01:31 AM)Baskerville Wrote: [ -> ]No but he should hand Grand Mufti JackoShabbaz ziki ziki a bible when he is presented with a koran.

Baskerville makes an interesting point here.  You always see the Pope given "gifts" when he visits these other nations, but when the Vatican hosts guests from other faiths, does he offer them Rosaries/Bibles/Catechisms/etc.?  Or is it only the Catholics that have to respect other faiths and not the other way around?  Anyone else want to see Obama kneel and kiss Pope BXVI's ring?
Pages: 1 2