FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: 400 Irish priests claim new Mass translation is ‘elitist and sexist’
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
A Canadian pastor in an Irish parish also told me he thought the new translation was rather backwards and would surely be delayed until Lent 2012 in Canada.

Irish priests claim new Mass translation is ‘elitist and sexist’

A group representing more than 400 of Ireland’s 4,500 priests has made an urgent plea to the country’s bishops to postpone the introduction of the new English translation of the Missal for at least another five years.

The call from the Association of Catholic Priests came as the National Centre for Liturgy in Maynooth launched a new publication aimed at explaining and preparing priests and lay people for the changes in the Missal. The new texts will be introduced on November 27, the first Sunday of Advent and the start of the liturgical year.

At a news conference in Dublin, representatives from the priests’ group said the proposed literal translations from Latin had produced texts that were “archaic, elitist and obscure and not in keeping with the natural rhythm, cadence and syntax of the English language”.

The association also criticised the new translation for “exclusivist, sexist language”.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/201...nd-sexist/
It never ends, does it?
What's with the Irish and the liturgy?
Well it must be pretty good if these panty wearing Priests don't like it.
(02-04-2011, 07:01 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]What's with the Irish and the liturgy?

If its to "wordy" they won't be able to say it drunk. Wink

I am half Irish so I can say that.God save the O'Neills Smile
(02-04-2011, 06:59 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]It never ends, does it?

Nope. Bizarre beyond belief. The local priest (of Irish descent) that I spoke with offers a Latin Novus Ordo once a month so I figured he'd be for the new translation since it's more faithful to the Latin, but he's rather against it.

He feels it's full of Latinizations, like "consubstantial" instead of "one in being" in the Nicene Creed which he feels folks won't understand.

Also, the French translation is not changing. In French they've always said "and with your spirit" and "for you and for many", but the French NO also says "he took the cup" whereas the old English NO said "cup" but the new will say "chalice". He's upset about that because he figures Jesus used a cup not a chalice and it's not fair to impose a new translation on the English but not the French.

He also feels the change from "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you" to "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof" will be incomprehensible to many parishioners who don't realize its Gospel origin.

He thinks the new translation could result in a similar decrease in church attendance as was seen in the switch from the Latin TLM to the original English NO.
Vernacular translations are creepy. For instance, the standard portuguese translation of the Novus Ordo for Portugal and Brazil translates "Dominus vobiscum : et cum spiritu tuo" as "The Lord be with you: He is in our midst." This is just a bold faced lie, not a translation.

These people have ill intentions, that's my only explanation.
(02-04-2011, 07:11 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]Vernacular translations are creepy. For instance, the standard portuguese translation of the Novus Ordo for Portugal and Brazil translates "Dominus vobiscum : et cum spiritu tuo" as "The Lord be with you: He is in our midst." This is just a bold faced lie, not a translation.

These people have ill intentions, that's my only explanation.

Yeah, another local NO priest says "The Lord is with you" which is more of a statement than a prayer, like "He is in our midst". Stuff like this makes such a strong argument to keep the liturgy in a liturgical language!
Ahh come on guys the vernacular translations mean we can understand it now just like our separated breathran the protestants. Rolling eyes
(02-04-2011, 07:18 PM)Baskerville Wrote: [ -> ]Ahh come on guys the vernacular translations mean we can understand it now just like our separated breathran the protestants. Rolling eyes

Baskerville, I encourage you to stop attending the NO - you're obviously becoming Protestantized.  Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6